“Climbing Carrauntoohil” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 65 Activities in Killarney
More attraction details
Owner description: Kayak The Lakes Of Killarney : Kayak & Canyon The Gap Of Dunloe : Sunset & River Kayaking : Extreme Canyoning : Rock Climb & Abseil : Carrauntoohil & Kerry Way Hiking : Killarney National Park Biking : Mountain & Rock Climb Training Courses
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Dublin, Ireland
“Climbing Carrauntoohil”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

On 17 July, 2013 I organised for a party of six to climb Carrauntoohil. Our group ranged in ages for 15 to 68 and none of our group had p,reviously climbed the mountain, so it was important for us to have a guide. Outdoors Ireland came highly recommended as our son had done a course with Nathan a number of years ago.
We met our guide Dave at Kate Kearney's Cottage. He welcomed us and did a quick check on our boots and clothing. He gave us one very helpful piece of advice and that was to wear a finer pair of socks under our thicker socks to protect from blisters. He then checked our water supplies and emphasised the importance of drinking frequently on the hike. He said the day was hot and we would go at a nice leisurely pace. We then drove to our starting point for the hike and we set off on our climb. Dave was an excellent guide who bonded with every group member. I would highly recommed and individual or group thinking of climbing Carrauntoohil to go with Outdoor Ireland.

Visited July 2013
OutdoorsIreland, Manager at Outdoors Ireland - Day Tours, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Thanks for such a super review Pat! It was a pleasure to take your booking and Dave had a great day on the mountain with you... Hope it wasn't too hot for you guys!

Chicago, Illinois
7 attraction reviews
“Best Part of my Ireland Adventure!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

My kayaking trip with Outdoors Ireland was the best part of my trip to Ireland this past June! I had never been kayaking before, but have always wanted to try, so I figured why not make it extra memorable and go for it in Ireland?!
My friend and I did the Lakes of Killarney Kayak trip. Before the trip we met with our guide, Jason, at Ross Castle. He provided us will all the gear we needed, so if you've never kayaked before, no fear! He had wet suits for us to change into (wear a bathing suit to the meet up), a jacket, kayak skirt, helmet and life vest. I recommend wearing water shoes, or shoes you don't mind getting soaked (you have to step into the water to get into the kayak).
Jason went through the skills we'd need for the trip. While kayaking the lake, Jason pointed out some interesting sights along the way, including the site of an old monastery. About half way through we stopped to stretch our legs at the old copper mine. While at the copper mine Jason treated us to some tea and chocolate, telling us a little about the site and where we'd be going next.
The best part of the trip, though, was kayaking through the "caves". It was neat to hear the history involving them, seeing them up close and to float through them. It's not something you get to do everyday!
From what I remember, they also have guided hiking and mountain climbing. I highly recommend Outdoors Ireland - the staff is very friendly and a wealth of information about Killarney as well as it's wildlife. I plan on coming back to Killarney again soon, and am definitely planning on taking another excursion with them.

Visited June 2013
OutdoorsIreland, Manager at Outdoors Ireland - Day Tours, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thanks a million for such an awesome review!
“Amazing and the experience of a lifetime”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Myself and my husband had the pleasure of climbing Carauntoohil on the 8th of June. We booked it through Nathan but our guide on the day was Mark. He was so friendly and professional. I would highly recommend Outdoors Ireland for mountain climbing. Keep up the good work lads. I certainly would highly recommend them.

Visited June 2013
OutdoorsIreland, Manager at Outdoors Ireland - Day Tours, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Thank you! What an amazing day you had for your climb with Mark! I'll pass your great review onto Mark also. See you again maybe for kayaking or climbing!
Olive Branch
“Kerry Way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We really enjoyed our hike on the Kerry Way. We were a group of 6 ranging in age from 22 to 82 with various fitness levels and we all enjoyed the 2 hour hike. We had perfect weather and we would highly recommend our guide, Jason. He was skilled, knowledgably and very friendly. We would definitely recommend Outdoors Ireland for anyone who wants to experience the natural beauty and adventurous side of Ireland.

Visited May 2013
Thanks a million. Hope the rest of your trip went great and the sun kept shining for you!
Huntington Beach, California, United States
“Amazing Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Nathan was an awesome tour guide for our kayak tour. The whole trip was fantastic and I highly recommend Outdoors Ireland -you will have a great time!

Visited January 2013