“good place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 142 Killarney B&B and Inns
Jerusalem, Israel
“good place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

don't miss Killarney, it was the highlight of our trip
Lake Lodge was a really good place to stay, very adequate room and facilities, very good breakfast and very welcoming and helpful hosts. Easy walking distance to middle of town, excellent restaurant nearby (Kaynes)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Stayed here in September and as on previous stays a warm welcome awaited us from the lovely Marie and Denis. Booked a twin room which turned out to be very spacious and had an extra bed and a well appointed en suite. Great variety for breakfast including juice, fresh fruit, cereal and a freshly cooked full Irish breakfast with generous pots of tea and coffee. Fantastic value for money. Plenty of parking and just a ten minute walk to town centre. The owners are lovely people full of chat and good humour and nothing is too much trouble for them. Thank you again Denis and Marie I would definately recommend this guesthouse and will once again stay here next year.n
Deirdre.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

A major problem with the management of his establishment is the way they deal with comments and/or complaints with service. They are also very concerned with when breakfast finishes as one of the first things you are told on arrival is that breakfast finishes at 9:30 sharp!! (also notice on your bedside locker). I arrived down for breakfast at 9:20am with my wife following in a few minutes. Before I took a seat I had to give both our orders and before I could take a mouthful of cereal the 2 cooked breakfasts arrived on the table. I asked could my wife's be kept warm in the kitchen but I was told absolutely not and was told by one of the owners to either text or ring my wife to hurry up! When I complained about this I was told to leave as soon as we had our breakfast. I tried to complain to the other owner but he would not listen to me, telling me to leave and used foul language. This was shocking behaviour and feeling upset we left immediately.
On the only positives, the location is good, bedroom is comfortable and the food is also good.
However, with the great selection of accommodation in Killarney we would not recommend this guesthouse.

Room Tip: Rooms on upper floors are quieter
skisnowing
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

The pressure and heat of our shower was great! It was the highlight of our stay at this B&B.

Booking the room was easy enough -- we booked online, no issues there. I asked for a jacuzzi, based on trip advisor tips and it was not available.

We showed up at 6pm -- right within the acceptable check in window, no issues with check in.

The room was HOT when we walked into it -- someone had left the heater on. If you want a warm room, I have no doubt this property can accommodate that. For me, I like a cool room.. some people may even consider it a cold room to sleep in -- which was easily obtained by opening the window.

This hotel's location is ideal for travelers seeking to walk to downtown eateries -- which we did. Walking to the city center takes all of 15-20 minutes and provides you with a bunch of options of places to eat. We chose Mexican food. (I know! In Ireland! it was good though, read my review there if you like) There are a BUNCH of options downtown to eat and in true Irish fashion, a bunch of lively pubs to quench your thirst.

Wifi was speedy once you entered the 2,000 character security code. (kidding, it wasn't 2,000 characters, it only seemed that long).

Bed was *below* average for the B&b's we stayed at on our trip to Ireland (we stayed at 5 properties). My girlfriend thought the spring was protruding out of the mattress and I just noticed the indentations of the folks before me. While we still slept ok the worn mattress reminded us that this is indeed a budget accommodation.

The breakfast was standard -- Irish Breakfast. Being new to B&B's, we didn't know if there were other types of breakfasts that were appropriate to ask for while staying here so we just always got Irish Breakfast everywhere we went. Trust me, after as many Irish Breakfasts as we had, I'm not looking to eat pork or eggs again anytime soon. My suggestion to the owner, and other B&B's, would be to let your patrons know of their options. I was even considering telling the owner of one B&B later in the trip that I'm vegetarian so I could politely stay away from all the greasy food found in many of these breakfasts. Coffee was plentiful and refills were offered. The owner's wife spoke with us during breakfast and was very friendly.

All and all, I'd probably look for other B&B's in the area and if they were a similar price and had a favorable rating on trip advisor, i'd likely consider staying there instead. If I couldn't find another B&B in this area with a similar price point, I would stay here again -- did I mention the shower was amazing?

Cork, Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Had a function in Killarney last week and booked in the Lake Lodge. Plenty of parking. Stayed in a lovely single room with a very well appointed en suite. Breakfast was freshly cooked and huge. The owners are lovely, friendly folk and I will definitely be staying again next year.. Des Goodwin

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stayed last Tuesday 10th of sept 2013 for one night and I cannot understand how anyone could complain about it.

First off its like walking into a very nice hotel,Denis and Marie are so welcoming it was like going to stay at a family members home.our room was top floor and was spotless! Lovely bed , immaculate toilet and shower , TV on the wall etc

Lake lodge wouldn't even be a ten minute walk In to the centre of Killarney town so the location is perfect.

We headed into the town that night for some dinner and a few drinks, Killarney holds something very special I can't put my finger on what that Is but it has something that few other towns in Ireland do, if it wasn't for us heading up the west coast we would have been staying another night in lake lodge.

We headed down for breakfast about 9am to be greeted by Marie who is such a lovely woman so heart warming and genuine ( a massive contrast from the unemotional , detached people you get in hotels) the breakfast room is huge and so tastefully decorated (infact the whole house is ), again everything immaculate .theres a choice if all different fruits ,ceriel etc then you can get full Irish,big proper pots of tea with a few tea bags have it nice and strong !

I could write all day about Denis,Marie,lake lodge and Killarney but why spoil it for you, all I will say We will definality stay again with them,

Thanks for everything and take care.

Robert and Kerry.

• Stayed September 2013
York, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We arrived in Killarney by train and underestimated how far Lake Lodge Guest House was to walk. It was a steady 20 minutes away.

The sign in the front garden advertises

"Dedicated to your absolute comfort. 14 Superior Guest Rooms : en-suite : Jacuzzi : tv., One of Killarney's well kept secrets"

The first that greets you when you leave the reception area and head up the stairs is a dirty carpet.
Our room had a double and a single bed. The pillows were too thin, the mattress "sagged" when you sat on it so you were actually on the bed base. There's no kettle - so no tea / coffee making facilities.

The en-suite doesn't have any shelves to put your toiletries on (the only "shelf" is the toilet cistern) and there's no where, once in the shower, for soap etc as there's no shelf in there.

Don't expect complimentary toiletries. All you get a small bar of soap. The towels are wafer thin. The TV (although functional) is an old CRT rather than a modern LCD / TFT variety.

Breakfast is 08:00 to 09:30 (sharp !!).

A table is laid out with a couple of types of cereals, some fruit and yoghurts. There's a "full" Irish Breakfast which is filling but we found to be a little too greasy.

We'd read comments about how nice the owners were - but thought they were a little "off-hand" until it was time to leave - then we couldn't get away as they were so busy chatting.

We have stayed in some absolutely fantastic B&B's in Eire. Sadly Lake Lodge is not one of them. However, Killarney is a very expensive place and maybe we shouldn't be too picky about the place considering the price we paid.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Been to Lake Lodge Guesthouse? Share your experiences!