“Hidden Gem in Killarney, Unique Irish food great prices” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Irish, Asian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Seattle, Washington
“Hidden Gem in Killarney, Unique Irish food great prices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We asked the locals for their favourite restaurants and they suggested Stonechat. It is off the main street and if you don`t ask will be hard to find. The food was delicious and fresh. traditional Irish food - the restaurant itself is not that big so I will recommend to reserve table or be there before rush time - 8 pm for Ireland. Very interesting for all Americans that the dinner time in Ireland is from 8-10 and everything before 7 pm is considered Early Birds - you can score great Meal Deals - 2, 3 or 4 course for very good price if you walk into the restaurant before 7 pm. We tried the Lamb shank and Stew and they were very good and tasty. If you want traditional fresh Irish food in Kilkenny - this place is for you. The only cons. I have for this location is the speed of service - after our meal it took 45 minutes to get our check. Some tables actually walked straight to the bar to pay the server. 2 servers are taking care for the entire restaurant - they also make their own drinks ( no bartender), but at the end of the day you are in Ireland on vacation so NO RUSH :)... Have some cash with you since their Credit card system does not allow you to add tip on the card.

• Visited April 2013

“Great steak”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Wanted a little more substance than pub grub. This place was recommended by a local. I thoroughly enjoyed my steak dinner. Loved the vegetable medley

Visited April 2013
Lippstadt, Germany
“Great Dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

It was our first time in the Stonechat Cafe & Restaurant. The food we had was really good. I had a Bruscetta as a Starter and it was the best one I ever had in Ireland. My husband had the Lamb for the Main Course and he said it was really delicious, he love the gravy.
You sitting in a lovely atmosphere and it was a great service.

• Visited March 2013
Orlando, FL
“Don't miss this hidden secret in Killarney!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

I've eaten all all over the world, and I don't leave a lot of stellar reviews on TA. That being said, I would put our meal at Stonechat as one of my top five.
We happened along this restaurant as we strolled through Killarney looking for a place that was off the beaten path. Stonechat caught out eye from the placard on the street, even though it is hidden down an alley that otherwise we would have missed. We went in about 1/2 an hour after opening, and we were only the second table. Dispite the attractive "early-bird" menu, we ordered off the normal menu. I had the bruschetta and lamb shank, and my wife ordered the potato, leek, and cauliflower soup and the seabass. All were unbelievable, the bruschetta was warm and fresh with a hint of cheese, and the soup was creamy and rich and flavorful. The mains were superb, the lamb fell off the bone accompanied by a great tomato sauce. The fish was perfectly prepared. Both came with potatoes, the fish also had a veg medley that was super fresh. Whomever below that thought the potatoes and vegetables were instant and frozen should stick to Burger King, because they cannot recognize outstanding food.
The waitress was excellent, attending to out needs while simultaneously leaving us to enjoy our food. The restaurant was nicely decorated with local paintings and had an awesome stove fire, which was very welcome during the unseasonably cold weather. The check was very reasonable for such nice food at €70 including tip.
Overall I cannot stress how impressed we were! A fabulous meal, don't miss it if you have the chance.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Killorglin, Ireland
“Decent lunch time option for Killarney”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Stone chat is up this little alley off high street and I went there for lunch last week. Killarney like most places at lunch can be quite busy and can be a bit of a wait to get you food. Stonechat is still quiet enough at lunch and food get served faster than other places. We had our baby with us and plenty of space for out stroller. I just order easy food food and chips! and was fine. My wife had a salad and no complaints. If you looking for somewhere a bit quiter for lunch off high street check it out!

• Visited March 2013