“Pleasure, comfort, super food, attractive pool & great value” 5 of 5 stars

Clayton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Old Monivea Road | Ballybrit, Galway, Ireland   |
Ranked #9 of 56 Hotels in Galway
Dublin
“Pleasure, comfort, super food, attractive pool & great value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

Clayton Hotel, on the Dublin side of the Galwy -Dublin Road. Very well appointed spacious rooms. Genuinely friendly professional staff. Breakfast buffet a joy to look forward to especially early before it gets busy. Porridge creamy & hot, a must try. Bar food promptly served & ample portions. The pool & sauna clean & attractive, very popular, always a supply of fresh towels available during our stay. Plenty of free car parking. Within minutes of all of Galwya's attractions and 40 minutes to the heart of the Connemara, Gaeltacht. Competitive rates and packages available, just ask! A much sooner rather then planned return visit is presently being pencilled in. Great place. Luan Alton

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Clayton-GM, General Manager at Clayton Hotel, responded to this review, April 14, 2010
Dear Mr. Alton,

Thank You for your very kind and positive review. I am gald that you and your family had a very nice stay.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Galway and The Clayton in the not too distant future.

As you have given your name, I will be keeping an eye out for your reservation and I will make a point of meeting you personally when you arrive or during your stay.

General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
Cork
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2010

We stayed at this hotel with our 2 young children. We found the rooms nice and comfortable. However view from our room was of an apartment block with a garden strewn with rubbish and old thrown out furniture. Pool was very small and same depth throughout - no kiddies pool and too deep for children who cant swim. And no arm bands or hats available to purchase. First day lifegard appeared to be pregnant lady who was was wearing hotel uniform and not swim gear. Dont think she was lifeguard at all. Second day was a man who replaced towels. Very sweaty smell coming from entire pool area. Changing rooms too small also.
In guest room corridor leftover food on trays from breakfast was left on floor all day on both days.
Lunch in the bar was very dissapointing. My chicken wrap was like rubber and appeared to have been microwaved as did my husbands burger. Kids menu also very dissapointing. Waitress nice however.
Breakfast was nice. Although orange juice machine was broken on second morning.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Dear Tanora,

I was very dissapointed to read about your experience with us.

I will be contacting you through tripadvisor so I can speak to you directly about your experience.

I am very sorry that we did not deliver our normal standard to you.

We are a family friendly hotel. However, it is clear that we did not live up to our normally excellant reputation.

Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2010

We spent 3 nights at the hotel (over easter). The hotel is clean and the service was fine. It is approx 10 mins into the city in a car..cost us €17 in a taxi on our way in one nite and €12 on the way home!!maybe when u have ordered the taxi, ask them how much they are going to charge you.
Regarding the actual hotel, as it was Easter it was really busy..especially the Saturday nite as there was an event on..I wouldnt recommend picking this hotel for its location (unless your going to the Galway races or basing yourself to tour around Galway) or its leisure facilities, the gym is tiny and the pool is like a long bath.. and theres no jacuzzi.
Staff were extremely helpful and food was decent enough - we didnt have breakfast.

Dear JoBurgers,

Thank you for your review.

I hope that you can understand that we cannot directly control taxi cab fares in the area. However, we highly recommend Galway Taxis for any our guests and their fares are regulated correctly.

Our leisure facilities - Gym, Pool are not expansive but they are more than adequate for guest needs and are exclusive to hotel residents only.

I would like to talk to you more about your experience and will try contacting you through tripadvisor.

Donegal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2010

Having stayed in the Clayton Hotel many times when it was under the previous ownership and thoroughly enjoyed my stay each time, i found that the Hotel has gone downhill slightly on this trip. A boxing tournament was on this weekend which resulted in boxing both inside and outside the ring!. The reception and restaurant staff were pleasant, helpful and unfortunately getting all the complaints......... Queues for breakfast up to 20 mins to get in and find no food on hot plates, then wait for 7 slices of bacon to be put out.....Ran out of eggs.... the lift was broke which was ridiculous not to be fixed when the hotel was fully booked out..... there is an emergency service for this but it obviously was'nt called. bar ran out of Heineken. One girl in the bar served more customers than all the men put together.. Staff in general are very accomodating but there resources need to be improved. they should'nt be listening to the complaints that are clearly kitchen and management faults.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Clayton-GM, General Manger at Clayton Hotel, responded to this review, April 14, 2010
Dear Guest,

I am very sorry to hear about your poor experience. The Hotel is under the same ownership since we opened. We have in general improved our service and product delivery, but we clearly failed on this occassion.

The matters you raised have been addressed and will not happen again.

I will contact you through tripadvisor so I can personnaly resolve the matter with you.

Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

Just returned from a two night stay at the Clayton. Good Value for 4* I thought when booking...2 nights B+B and one evening meal for 129euro/pp. The pictures of the hotel looked amazing!

Upon arrival we were greeted by a very friendly girl at reception and checked in. Our room was lovely and spacious, very clean with a lovely shower and nice big comfy bed.
We decided to have dinner on our first night as the Sunday night was offering a buffet only. I was very disappointed to say the least with the food here. I had chowder, which basically consisted of the fish served in what seemed like the water it was boiled in...absolutley no flavour! My boyfriend had the soup which he said was ok. I ordered steak cooked med-well with pepper sauce for mains, as did my partner. The sauce on the steak was most definatly not pepper sauce and the steak was way over done...If I had asked for it well done it would definatly have been incenirated! Dessert was average.
Breakfast on both mornings was cold...a major let down...as the selection was excellent. Nothing worse than cold scrambled eggs!!
The location of the hotel was fine as we were driving and the access to both the city centre and surrounding areas was good.
There was a good atmosphere in the hotel bar on both nights. There was a massive crowd on the Saturday night, which led to us having to abandon the car in a make shift car park near the hotel as the parking was taken up by visitors to this event, I thought this could have been better managed, parking should have been reaseved for guests, in the basement car park at least.
The hotel is nice, with friendly staff but I definatly wont be returning. My initial thought of value for money was quashed.
Ps. The size of the pool is a joke, pictures very misleading!!

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I appreciate your comments - good and bad.
The food experience you had here is not acceptable and I am very sorry.

I will be contacting you through tripadvisor and I will make every effort to win you back to us again.

Kilkenny, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

I would like to say thank you to all of the staff at the Clayton hotel. We stayed for 2 nights, over this Easter weekend, and it was very enjoyable. The pool is a little small but it's grand for a holiday swim. It would be an added bonus if the hotel installed a jacuzzi, but it didn't really phase us.

The staff were really really helpful, at reception, housekeeping, the bar and the restaurant, all were really nice and friendly, and nothing was too much trouble.

The food in the restaurant for both our breakfasts and 1 dinner was really nice, with a nice menu for the dinner, and a good choice for breakfast.

We knew that the hotel was not in the city centre so we were prepared, and chose it for the facilities. I would definitely recommend this hotel to a friend, if they were not looking to be in the very centre of Galway.

Thanks to all the staff, who had a very difficult weekend (well the Fri and Sat, anyway as we're gone now but they still have Sunday to get through!!!) with a very busy hotel and a huge function also going on. Keep up the good work:)

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Dear RikkiNice,

Thank you for your positive review.

Especially, I want to thank you for recognising the team here. I am glad you found everyone so helpful and friendly.

I hope we see you soon again at The Clayton.

York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2010

Whilst the hotel is pleasant, for a city centre break it is situated too far out of the city despite being termed a city hotel.

To walk would take in excess of 45mins, leaving two alternatives bus....not reliable and detors into some undesireable locations en-route to the city. Taxi which the hotel claims to cost 12euro when infact it is 15 euros!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Clayton-GM, General Manager at Clayton Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2010
Dear Guest,

I am sorry you felt that our wesite directions were misleading. I will clarify the scripting on our website better.

Yours Sincerely,

Edward Sweeney

Been to Clayton Hotel? Share your experiences!