“chaotic but good” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #43 of 356 Restaurants in Galway
Cuisines: Irish, Mediterranean, Vegetarian, Wine Bar
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: We at Vina Mara are dedicated to providing a new dining experience in Galway with local food in a Mediterranean setting. All our menus are created using fresh Irish produce and an excellent selection of wines. Our aim is to create great food at great value prices and a warm friendly service for all of our customers.
Galway
“chaotic but good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We went to eat here on a Monday evening and were delighted to see on the menu board outside that all mains were only €10. We had no booking and on entering asked if they had a table available, we were told to sit down at the bar but were not sure if this meant yes or if they were just checking, the waitress appeared rushed off her feet and stressed out, we immediately felt like we were a disruption to her already busy routine. after a few minutes, we were directed to a table and the waitress rushed off before we even got to ask for a wine list. When we did order the house wine, I watched the owner of the restaurant pour my glass of white wine from two different coloured bottles of white wine, I chose not to bring it to her attention that I had noted her choice to drain two bottles into my glass, as I had taken my guest out for a treat, to cheer her up and did not want to start the night by making complaints! However I did take a mental note of this and was extremely disappointed that it was the owner who would do such an unprofessional thing! The restaurant was chaotic and it was obvious that this mains special offer was definitely working and bringing in the punters but to the diners expense! The staff were stressed out and although I tried to have friendly banter with the staff, they were too busy to respond. It was all rushed and not the relaxing night we had anticipated. Saying that, the food was absolutely superb and the meal was cooked to perfection and faultless. The chefs, I am sure were under as much pressure in the kitchen as the floor staff were on the restaurant floor but that was not reflected in the standard of food they produced. It was a pity that in all this chaos the owner took her eye off the ball and forgot to treat the customer as potential repeat custom, I did compliment the food when paying but again was not even addressed as they were too busy. There is no point putting on meal deals to get customers into your restaurant if you are not going to have the decency to at least smile at your customer and make them feel that they are welcome and are a vital part to the success of your business. As a result I will not be returning to eat there, my custom is valued in other eateries in the city.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Galway
“Pre-theatre supper”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I went with a friend for a bite to eat bofore a concert in the Taibhearc. I love Italian fod and usually I get a great feeling of La Dolce Vita when I sample authentic Italian fod but somehow this was missing this night. I found it was cramped and noisy. Almost to noisy to hear each other speak. I we were catching up after a long time and had to have everything said before we went i to the concert. The food was good but just not that special. I was disappointed and I won't go again. Sorry folks. Our waitress was a pet but seemed way too busy and m friend left most of her meal. Not impressed.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Aiken, South Carolina
“Vina Mara Restaurant & Wine Bar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

The staff is very friendly and we felt very welcomed. The menu has special prices for all main courses and most importantly, the food was very tasty. Would go back there again and again.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
surrey
“MMMmmm!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Came upon this restaurant by accident... the meal was very good value and where can two people have a steak dinner for twenty euro..especially a meal that is of such high standard? The staff were very friendly and helpful..the surroundings are very nice..and the food....well.. all I can say...is "go on give it a go"! I am so glad I found this place..I will definately have dinner here when I visit Galway again!!

Visited August 2013
“Excellent Value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

Choice of craft beers and ciders, great servie and A 10oz steak for 10€, what more needs to be said!!

• Visited August 2013