“Quirky local restaurant” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #21 of 356 Restaurants in Galway
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Description: Ard Bia at Nimmo���s restaurant in Galway City enjoys one of Galway���s most romantic locations in a gorgeous upstairs room with lovely views of the river, hard by the Spanish Arch. This restaurant is famous in Galway and beyond for the stupendous quality of its cuisine and its professional and welcoming service, all in a charming setting. The d��cor is rustic boho chic with quirky details. You might find fresh local garden blooms on your table in a tin coffee pot, for instance. The seasonally-changing Irish/Moroccan/North African eclectic menu blows you away with dishes like the Gubeen antipasto dish, all made with the finest and freshest of local ingredients. Ard Bia���s commitment to live and modern art make it a happening place, though if you just want to come for the great food and service and see why the restaurant won Regional Restaurant of the Year from Food & Wine Magazine, no one will mind.
Galway, Ireland
“Quirky local restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2014 NEW

This is a funky little spot on the banks of Galway's river Corrib. Lots of seafood on the menu. The food is rustic but well presented. Tends to book out so reservations needed, especially in high summer or at weekends. The layout is unconventional but it works in the nice cut stone building. It's pricey, particularly given that you don't get the frills associated with finer dining, but the food is consistently good.

• Visited September 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Family birthday ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2014 NEW

17 of my family had a fantastic nite here, the menu was so unique you would want to try everything on it!!! The restaurant is right on the banks of the river Corrib and the decor and atmosphere is wonderful. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, I would highly recommend it for any occasion as it's also great value for the high standard it offers. We will be back!!!

Shannon, Ireland
“Quirky & Romantic.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2014 NEW

I are here with my boyfriend. It is such a quirky restaurant. The food is top drawer and I would eat here again in a heartbeat. There was only one server and he was all they needed. He was very efficient and the place runs like clockwork. I would recommend the pumpkin risotto, it was delicious!

Visited September 2014
Cork
“Quaint buzzing restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2014 NEW

We visited here for lunch upon recommendation and the good reviews. Very friendly restaurant and packed. Main menu was more breakfasts and the specials had about five options. I never go for the vegetarian option but it was the only one that appealed to me. I don't want to say anything bad but I feel I have to be truthful in my review. Sorry to say it, but I was disappointed with my dish. It lacked seasoning, the main part of the dish was very bland, an important element of the dish was missing and substituted with something else, there was goats cheese in it but a tiny amount which I thought was a bit mean. My partner had the mackeral and he loved it. I would go back because everything else about the visit was great and it has some great reviews. I was really looking forward to it but sorry to say I was underwhelmed with my choice.

• Visited October 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Venice, Italy
“One of the best meals we had in Ireland!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2014 NEW

We booked in at Ard Bia on the recommendation of several friends, and were not disappointed. We arrived quite early, and had the full attention of the lovely and knowledgeable staff (the placed filled up quickly, though!). Housed in a lovely older building, it gives the feeling of dining in a charming cottage, with a view of the river right out the window. The menu offered an innovative interpretation of Irish cuisine, with bits of the Mediterranean thrown in--the mussel/seaweed pate was unique and delicious. The wine list was quite nice, among the best we found in Galway. As incredible as the food was, I really can't say enough about the staff. We chatted at length with the host?/manager? Amelia, who is like your cool sister. As the place filled up, she even facilitated conversations between tables, so by the end it felt as if we were dining with a bunch of old friends. It really was one of the best meals we had in Ireland...I would suggest a trip to Galway just to dine here!

Visited December 2014