“My Favourite Restsurant” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #22 of 356 Restaurants in Galway
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Description: Ard Bia at Nimmo���s restaurant in Galway City enjoys one of Galway���s most romantic locations in a gorgeous upstairs room with lovely views of the river, hard by the Spanish Arch. This restaurant is famous in Galway and beyond for the stupendous quality of its cuisine and its professional and welcoming service, all in a charming setting. The d��cor is rustic boho chic with quirky details. You might find fresh local garden blooms on your table in a tin coffee pot, for instance. The seasonally-changing Irish/Moroccan/North African eclectic menu blows you away with dishes like the Gubeen antipasto dish, all made with the finest and freshest of local ingredients. Ard Bia���s commitment to live and modern art make it a happening place, though if you just want to come for the great food and service and see why the restaurant won Regional Restaurant of the Year from Food & Wine Magazine, no one will mind.
“My Favourite Restsurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

I have eaten here in the past & it has always been top notch. On this occasion 'New Years Eve' it certainly didn't disappoint. The food, atmosphere & service from beginning to end was excellent. I had fish for the main & it was perfectly cooked as was my boyfriends venison. I will most certainly be returning in the future.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Galway, Ireland
“Not a great experience this time”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I've been to Ard Bia on many occasions and loved the food, the decor and their ethos.
However, we were there for brunch the other day and was sorely disappointed with the service. We had to wait 40 minutes for a cup of tea, and had to ask for it twice. The food when, it did arrive, was cold and on reheating was not even that warm. We left with a heavy heart, not what you want from a meal. The whole experience was just hard work!

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
County Meath, Ireland
“Great atmosphere, good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Popped into ArdBia recently because we knew Aoibheann McNamara. We were made feel very welcome. This building has atmosphere and the service was great. Tasty food and a great view of the Corrib river. Prices are a bit high but it was worth the experience. Met some intereting people from Chicago. Will be back.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sharon, Massachusetts, United States
“Ard Bia good for a splurge”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Fun location on the water. Tiny place, very intimate for couples. Food was excellent. Recommended by New York Times and our B&B hosts.

Visited September 2012
“Good food, great decor”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I will preface my review by saying that what was a negative experience (service-wise; the food was outstanding) was redeemed by the waitress apologizing for poor service and taking total responsibility for my experience.

I visited Ard Bia for dessert in the early evening mid-week (around 6 pm). I was greeted in what I thought was an average manner (not warmly). I asked about the desserts and ordered one of the recommended items. It was fantastic.

Where things went south was that my waitress didn't check on me a single time during a period of at least half-hour - even when I'd finished eating. I mentioned this to another waiter since I also needed my tab. My waitress came over and immediately apologized - made no excuses which I appreciated. She listened to what I had to say and thanked me for the feedback. She seemed genuine and since we all have off-days/nights, I left feeling much better about Art Bia. The food is outstanding, the decor is unique and welcoming and given her apology I recommend the restaurant and I would definitely go back on my next trip to Galway. That said, I rated the service here as average since that was my original experience.

• Visited October 2012