“Not Quite What We Expected” 3 of 5 stars

Atlantic Heights B&B
2 Cashelmara | Knocknacarra Cross, Galway, Ireland   |
Ranked #4 of 187 Galway B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“Not Quite What We Expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Advertisements for accommodation never reveal the full picture. We recently stayed at Atlantic Heights and our overall rating is average. The location is not the greatest, as you really need to drive to nearby restaurants. The closest option was Tom Sheridan's pub which is a good 12 minute walk, and it's not a scenic walk along the promenade. The Salthill centre where all the restaurants and better hotels / B&Bs are located is a 5 minute drive. The sea view is not great either. However, on the positive side, the reception was friendly and helpful, and the room was large with a very comfortable mattress. We opted for a 'garden room' as the sea view room was smaller, however the 'garden' is hardly a garden, more a backyard. The bathroom and shower were small. There was complimentary mineral water and nice biscuits in the room each day. The room was well maintained with fresh towels. There is no laundry facility, and you are directed to a local laundrette. Probably the most disappointing matter was that having booked through Booking.com, and believing that we had got the best price available online, we discovered that the owner adds 15% to her direct price. Therefore we paid 94 euros per night (room only) instead of 80 euros if we had booked directly.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Madeline M, Owner at Atlantic Heights B&B, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that it was not quite what you expected but glad that you you found us friendly & helpful and liked your bedroom & comfy bed.
Our location is clearly marked on Booking.com with a Google map of the locality. It was most unfortunate that the weather was so unpleasant on the w/e that you stayed with us. You may have had a very different opinion about our location otherwise. Sadly there is nothing we can do about the weather! In good weather, the view from our house is beautiful as photographs show.

Our garden is the average size of a city garden in Galway. As it was so wet, I offered to drive the lady to the laundrette which is very near our home but she said that she preferred to walk.

Booking. com advertise that they offer best rates but sometimes if you book directly on our website or telephone us , you will get a better rate, depending on occupancy levels. This is how accommodation is marketed nowadays.
We appreciate your feedback .Thank you.
Madeline.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Stayed here last Saurday, 15th June 2013 and could not fault this b&b. I rang late on the Friday evening as our visit to Galway was a bit last minute. Madeline was so helpful on the phone and was able to offer a choice of rooms. We opted for larger room and it was worth the extra few euro. The bed was so comfortable I didn't want to get up following morning! The room was spoltless clean and a real treat, proper bath towels instead of standard fare small ones! We opted for room only as we were heading to Carraroe for an early lunch, but the aroma coming from kitchen almost tempted me to try the breakfast. Nice walking distance to Galway city via beautiful coast road or there is a bus nearby if the weather isn't good. Madeline and staff were so helpful and friendly, nothing was too much trouble. Would recommend and will be back.

• Stayed June 2013
Madeline M, Owner at Atlantic Heights B&B, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
I really appreciate you taking the time to write a review for Atlantic Heights.
Delighted to know that you found our large beds & memory foam mattresses so comfortable and that you found our house spotlessly clean, and you loved our large bath towels.
Our house is ideally located for guests who like to walk, --it is such a lovely walk all along the coast and Salthill's Prominade into Galway city, weather permitting --if not grab a bus across the road.
We enjoy welcoming guests into our home, in a very friendly atmosphere and make it feel like a home away from home.
Thank you for recommending our B&B & we look forward to welcoming you back soon again. Thank you.
New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Madeline & her staff couldn't have been nicer to us - and our rooms were clean and comfortable. Breakfast was scrumptous and served promptly. This location is on the "right" side of Galway to get to the Aran Island Ferry as well. I wouldn't hesitate to stay at Atlantic Heights again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Madeline M, Owner at Atlantic Heights B&B, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Thank you for writing a review for Atlantic Heights. It was our pleasure to have you & your friends as guests and delighted to hear that you enjoyed you stay with us and everything was to your satisfaction. Great that you found our breakfast "scrumptious" and that our staff provided excellent friendly service. Glad you loved our lovely quiet location in Salthill overlooking Galway Bay, yes it is so convenient to go to the Aran Islands from here.
We hope that you will get back to stay with us sometime in the not too distant future!
Kind regards to you & your friends,
Piscataway, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We truly had the most incredible stay at Atlantic Heights B&B! The place is beautiful (and spotless) with amazing views of the Bay. Breakfasts were delicious and tranquil eating in the lovely atrium. From the moment we arrived, Madeline felt like family. Her knowledge and recommendations were invaluable. We only had two short nights there and wished we had stayed longer. My husband and I were traveling with our two sons (ages 21 and 24) and throughout the rest of our trip they kept saying they missed Madeline (or "Mom" as they liked to call her.) Truly a special place to stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your great review of Atlantic Heights. So glad that staying here with you family was the highlight of your trip to Ireland, your boys certainly enjoyed their breakfasts in our new atrium. It was my pleasure to have you as guests & I am so glad that it felt like being with family. I am always delighted to share my local knowledge with our guests & guide them to the places they will enjoy most. You really enjoyed the Crane Bar music sessions. Your trip to the Aran Islands on that beautiful day was so memorable for you & the boys, despite the sunburn! What great photos you took of you all so relaxed & happy.I am amused by the boys calling me Mom!
I hope you will get back to stay with us soon again-- next time stay longer!
Enjoy your special year!
Kindest regards to the New Yorkers!
Morton, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Just stayed two nights at Atlantic Heights B&B. The place was spotless and our room looking out at the bay was just fantastic!! The Super King bed was beyond comfortable and the bathroom was a very nice size. Madeline the owner could not have been more friendly or helpful. The breakfasts were plentiful and delicious. Made the first stop on our first visit to Ireland a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: If you can book a room looking out at the bay, do it.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Madeline M, Owner at Atlantic Heights B&B, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Thank you for your review of our B&B. I am delighted that you enjoyed your first stop in a B&B in Ireland and loved the view from your bedroom and our comfortable memory foam mattress. It sure was welcome as you were so exhausted when you arrived! It has been such beautiful weather since you came--how lucky you are to have come at the right time!
I am happy that you enjoyed our breakfasts. I love to cook for my guests.
I hope you are still enjoying our beautiful country in this glorious weather.Thank you.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Wanted to stay in Galway city but it was all booked up therefore looked at b&b's in the salt hill area & booked in with this one.

We were slightly disappointed with how far out it was but that isn't a reflection on the b & b itself.

The room was very clean, the bed was very comfortable and the host was friendly. I just found the room a bit on the small side, we were offered a choice of 2 rooms and they were about the same size. I found it to be quite noisy - could hear the other guests very easily through the door and walls. I was also disappointed that breakfast was charged at an extra 8 euros on top of the room fee.

Also the tv was quite basic and had no subtitles therefore my friend couldn't access the tv as she is Deaf.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Madeline M, Owner at Atlantic Heights B&B, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our B&B. We welcome our guests comments and make every effort to make their guest experience with us enjoyable and memorable.
I would firstly like to address the issue of your room size. We offer a wide choice of room options on our website ranging from single rooms to larger rooms. When booking, you chose a standard size double room. When I have larger rooms available I do try to upgrade guests if possible but as it was the bank holiday weekend, that wasn't possible unfortunately.
Also it clearly states on our website and in our terms and conditions that breakfast is available at an extra charge. This allows our guests the option of choosing breakfast at an additional charge or choosing a room only option and not paying unnecessarily for something they didn't want. You yourself chose the option of having breakfast on one day only and were therefore only charged on one morning When confirming reservations I try to reiterate this in an email or if not I mention it to guests when they arrive. You may remember me mentioning this to you when you were checking in that it was a room only rate that you had reserved.
As regards the noise through the walls and door, your room was adjacent to the office and my own room so I can only assume that it was guests arriving through the front door that was the problem. Guests are free to come and go as they like. Again it being the bank holiday weekend guests may have been coming in at different times so a certain amount of noise was unavoidable. I apologise if this bothered you.
All our flat screen televisions offer closed captioning for the hearing impaired. I am very sorry that the tv remote was too basic to activate it. I only wish that you had asked either myself or one of my staff and we would have happily changed it for you.
I hope that this has clarified some of the issues that you raised. I wish you had brought them to our attention while you were staying with us.
Thank you for staying with Atlantic Heights.
Kind Regards,
Madeline
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

We had lovely sunny weather, spectacular view of the bay and the most gracious, kind hostess in lovely Madeline. She served us tea and brown bread and sweet Ness the dog kept us company upon our arrival. After we sorted out dinner, with her excellent recommendation of both restaurant (o'Grady's) and pub to watch Ireland play England (Tom Sheridan's) we spent a fine evening following her good guidance and slept like 2 rocks in the comfy king bed. The next morning we had a very fine breakfast in the sunroom and once again Madeline was an angel recommending g the next place for us to stay. This is a wonderful B&B and we would love to stay here again. Madeline is genuinely sweet and we felt like family there. You will too.

Room Tip: Room 1 has a great view of the bay and a king bed
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Madeline M, Owner at Atlantic Heights B&B, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and felt like family! Ness gave you a great welcome too! So glad that you loved the "spectacular view" from your bedroom & our comfy super-king bed. I enjoy cooking breakfasts for our guests and dining in our new sun room adds to guests enjoyment. I was happy to recommend a great restaurant and make dinner reservations for you & to guide you to our local pub.
We hope that you will soon get back to stay with us again. Thank you.
Robbie& Madeline.

Been to Atlantic Heights B&B? Share your experiences!