“Herons Rest B&B, Galway City, Ireland” 5 of 5 stars

16a The Longwalk, | City Centre,, Galway, Ireland   |
Ranked #9 of 187 Galway B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Herons Rest B&B, Galway City, Ireland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

The Herons Rest B&B in Galway Ciy is in a very convenient location and its situation on the water makes it a great place to return to at night and to walk out the door in the morning. I read Seamus Heaney's poem "Postscript" as I watched the swans from my window; it was very peaceful. The staff are friendly and helpful and the food was excellent. Can't emphasize that enough - Sorcha, Mark and Mike are quite good in the kitchen. I'd recommend anyone to stay there - a view of the water from your room, a fabulous breakfast in the morning, and then a day in the west of Ireland. Single travelers should also note that this B&B has rooms for singles, which in my experience are almost non-existent. Thank you again, Sorcha!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Heron's Rest on a drizzly evening in August.
Our experience was absolutely divine. The thing that stands out the most here is the attention to the most minute detail and the superb hospitality, which is what has left the biggest impression. Our hostess was incredibly friendly, charming and willing to cater to whatever we needed. Our breakfast in the morning was especially delicious. We will remember Galway for the experience we had at The Heron's Rest and would love to return again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Cardiff
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

This is as close to faultless as you get. The breakfast offered is prepared with the finest ingredients , all handcrafted and out of this world . The welcome is that of fabled Irish hospitality and the location is exceptional – right at the heart of old Galway It is of no wonder that this bed and breakfast has gained so many awards. The attention to detail and genuine interest in satisfying your needs defines the experience offered . Herons Rest has set the bar from which I will judge all other B and B’s

Room Tip: The attic room has a Juliette style balcony which overlooks Galway Bay and Harbour From here you c...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Essen, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

My wife and me spent 5 days at this wonderful B&B. Especially the breakfast was delicious and the owner was very helpful and pleasant. The only bad thing was during the nights. The rooms are not isolated against noises. We heard every word spoken in the rooms above and below, we even noticed the snoring of our neighbors. So we didn't sleep very good and were tired on the next mornings.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Addison, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

This lovely place delivered well above our expectations! The breakfast was amazing! The room was beautiful welcoming and impeccably kept! The owner is welcoming and very knowledgeable! I would recommend this place to everyone interested in Ireland.

Room Tip: There isn't a bad room!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

My husband & I stayed here for 2 nights of our honeymoon in October 2012. I did A LOT of research beforehand & finally settled on this place. It was a good choice, but I think it was our least favorite experience of our trip - but it wasn't a bad experience by any means, we just LOVED everywhere we stayed so much :).

The first bump in the road was when we arrived - When we got there, we didn't know where to park, so we just parked in the metered spot right out front. We figured we'd just move the car once we got our bags inside (also I wasn't clear on where the free parking area was). No one answered the door, so we went to the cafe just down the way & used their free Wi-Fi (this place is adorable, btw, & I had a fabulous cappucino). We didn't hear back from Sorcha for 2+ hours, but she explained she was in Spain for her birthday & thought that we weren't arriving until the following day; just made an honest mistake. She apologized & sent someone over to let us in. My husband & I are both pretty easygoing - but we were exhausted from hours of driving & it was cold & raining, so at this point we were a little cranky. Also, when the woman let us in - she showed us to a room on the 2nd floor... even though I had requested the top floor room & we were the only guests in the building. Just not the best way to start our trip.

We met Sorcha the next morning at breakfast & she was very nice. She is an exceptional chef & I ate the best french toast I've ever had in my life. She also reimbursed us for the money we spent at the meter, where we had parked our car that first day. She also provided us w/a map & drew out a route for us, since we were headed to Connemara & the Sky Road in Clifden - that was really helpful. Lastly, she gave us a fabulous recommendation for a local bar, outside the downtown area of Galway, over in Salthill - The Crane. We had a wonderful time listening to 20+ local musicians jam out & met & hung out w/some local college kids :).

Regarding the actual place - the rooms & the house are all beautiful & the view is awesome. I've read reviews that mention that the rooms are small - I am surprised by this, actually, & since we were the only ones in the building the 1st night, we went & looked at all the rooms. They aren't huge, but there is plenty of room & they are very charming. I think the top room might be the largest, but has the smallest bathrooms. Bathrooms in the other rooms were plenty spacious. Location is wonderful - very easy/short walk to downtown Galway & right by the Spanish Arch.

Parking for The Heron's Rest can be found by following the main road into Galway & following the signs into the big parking garage. Maybe we should have understood this better, but honestly when you're travelling internationally for the first time, renting a car, coordinating multiple locations to stay - sometimes it's nice to have things written in crayon.

Overall, I would stay there again, but we weren't crazy about Galway in general. Next time we're in that area, we will probably stay in Clifden or another smaller town.

Room Tip: All the rooms are equally beautiful & have lovely views.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

This cosy B&B is in a perfect location in Galway on the Long Walk, just minutes from the Spanish Arch. The host was really welcoming and hospitable. Breakfast was really nice and sociable, served at a communal table with all the guests and the food was delicious. I felt very comfortable as a guest travelling alone here.
It felt as though the hostess put a lot of thought into all the details and did her best to ensure all the guests were relaxed and well catered for- there was binoculars at the window of my room so you could enjoy the sea view and a carafe of sherry if you fancied a night cap! The shower was the only drawback to my stay here, the shower-head needed replacing in the bathroom I was sharing. As I was only there one night this didn't affect me too much but I'm sure I could have used another bathroom in the house. I would recommend this B&B to any of my friends and am sure to return again.
I had lunch in the nearby cafe Ard Bia and would also recommend a visit there.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Been to The Herons Rest Boutique Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!