“a decent place to base your trip to Galway” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Anbelle Lodge

Anbelle Lodge
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Galway
Anbelle Lodge
You added Anbelle Lodge to your Saves list
83 Lower Salthill | Galway, Galway, Ireland   |
Ranked #32 of 43 Specialty Lodging in Galway
USA
“a decent place to base your trip to Galway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2007

I stayed in the Anbelle Lodge while visiting the Western Coast of Ireland. This BnB is in Salthill, about 15 minutes walking outside of Galway City, one of the main cities on the West Coast.

If you´re looking for something outside of the city limits, so a bit quieter, and close to the ocean, you could do worse than The Anbelle Lodge. It might not quite be worth the price (40 euro per night for me in a single ensuite, rather large bed though, not a twin) There wasn´t a common room or anything, but a t.v. with basic Irish cable in the room. The room was clean, the bed a little hard, but it didn´t affect my sleep, and I heard the owner at one point tell other guests that she asked people to be quiet because it was a family home.So, there were no problems as far as noise. I never came home too late, so I´m unsure if there was a closing hour of some kind, but she gave everyone a key to the front door as well as their room, so I would suspect not.

I arrived in the evening and was welcomed in by the family´s two daughters who took me to my room, asking me when I wanted breakfast the next morning (about 8:30-10ish) and I didn´t mean the owner until the morning. They have a dining room with several tables in it, could have been slightly larger, but I didn´t feel cramped. Breakfast was your choice of either an Irish breakfast (fried egg, sausage, toast, boiled tomato, brown bread which I believe was home made, or at least tasted like it was) or the cereals and fruits that were on the table, you could have them both or just a little, and everything tasted decent.

She said Galway was only a 10 minute fast paced walk, but I would give yourself at least 15 minutes, and the walk is beautiful if you follow the coast line in, which she´ll suggest you do. They have a lot of brochures to look at, and she will arrange all tours for you and pick ups for taxi´s without complaints, just let her know.

My only complaints, which are few and far between, are that there was no place to socialize had I wanted to (or if there was, I was unaware) and though she said to just call out to her if you wanted to talk to her, she was often downstairs with her family and I felt like I would be intruding and felt uncomfortable going to look for her. But without fail she was there every morning, and occasionally to be found in the kitchen throughout the day.

The location is on a slightly rundown street (Salthill was once a flourishing coastal resort but not since the 70´s so it has that washed out feeling) but not a bad part of town, in fact one of the main streets of Salthill, it leads straight down to the ocean, there are many (for a small town) grocery type stores and restaurants along this if you´re against walking back into town.

Overall, I´d give it an 8, if you´re looking for a quiet family run environment outside of the bustle of town but still a decent place to base yourself from, I´d suggest the Anbelle Lodge.

• Liked — clean and quiet, and a nice walk into the city
  • Disliked — no common area that I was informed of
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Families
Business

Also consider these accommodations in or near Galway

Been to Anbelle Lodge? Share your experiences!