“Helpful staff” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Irish, Coffee Shop
Boston, United Kingdom
“Helpful staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

My wife and I travelled to Galway recently to absorb the sights and sounds of the west of Ireland, a country we both adore. I have been to ireland many times before but this was my first trip to Galway. We stopped off in Costa coffee on our first day and subsequently returned everyday after that. The staff were lovely, Amy, a barista in the establishment was helpful and friendly every time we saw her. She informed us of places to go and things to see around the city and the country with a smile and what I would call, irish welcome. I would recommend this coffee shop to any travellers for its delicious coffee and treats, the warm welcome and friendly atmosphere.

• 5 of 5 stars Food

Dublin, Ireland
“Buzzing Atmosphere!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

Spent a few days in Galway recently and Shop Street was alive with shoppers, tourists and buskers. Galway is a city buzzing with excitement and just a fun place to be.
I went into the Costa Coffee near the Spanish Arches and found the atmosphere to be equally buzzing, a great cross section of all ages and nationalities chatting and drinking away happily.
My delicious cappuccino was just what the doctor ordered and I could still enjoy the buzz of this marvellous city from the big windows looking out onto Quay Street and watch the world pass by. By a mile the best Costa experience I have had anywhere!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Galway, Ireland
“Dreadful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

As a Dublin immigrant to Galway I was very excited when Costa Coffee opened in Galway.

I have been to the Galway Costa 4 times since it opened & every single time they have got the order badly wrong & upon correction have reacted badly.

I work in customer service and I have also over the years worked in shops. I would never speak to a customer how I have been spoken to by members of staff in Costa.

Although yesterday 4th August was the final straw. I ordered 1 drink. 1 Coffee cooler. The guy on the til started to call out the orders to the barista before he gave me my change & started to get confused. There was no print out of the orders & i didnt get a receipt.
The chap ahead of me ordered 1 Mocha Cooler. He got his within 5 mins. I was waiting & waiting and an "Iced Americano" appeared from the very rude barista. She practically threw it on the counter.
I didnt collect the drink and she shouted at me with a very aggressive glare "ICED AMERICANO..." & I said - no I ordered a coffee Cooler (the words Americano never left my mouth) there was a discussion between her & the guy on the til the result of which was a yelled "WHAT DID U WANT?" no sorry no explanation.
The atmostphere behind the counter tensed further. I honestly wanted to just get my money back and leave at this point. .
My husband was laughing as this has happened every-time we have gone in there.... you order a Cappucino & receive a Latte & then you the customer are treated with the utmost disdain as they correct THEIR mistake
This was their final chance. I don't mind mistakes. Its how you recover from them that matters really. There are 4 staff working at any one time. Were usually in early when its quiet.
It costs nothing to be nice. Yelling "What DO YOU WANT" across the room is not customer service. Throwing your eyes to heaven is not customer service.
Eventually 8 mins later (5 ppl got their orders at this stage -who knows if they were right) another member of staff arrived with my Coffee Cooler & apologised for the wait

My issues start with the fact the manager was making the drinks.
There is no ticketing system where orders are written down, so if the drink maker mishears anything there's an issue.
The manager IMO should be on the til and overseeing everything running smoothly.
There are 4 staff in a big bright area cafe. It should be wonderful to stop for a coffee and a read and chill out.
But no. Its a horrible horrible place & I wont be going back there
Costa would seriously want to look at the staff there & retrain them as they are seriously damaging their brand in this part of the world...

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dublin, Ireland
“Below average”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

I've visited this branch a number of times in recent months, and found the quality of service inconsistent. I'm a frequent visitor to Costa branches around Ireland and the UK, and from observing the behind-the-counter chaos, it seems the staff in this branch could do with a refresher training course. It's a very busy location and the service times are simply too slow when calling in for a take-away coffee. There are plenty of staff, more than most other cafes in Galway, but they seem to be badly organised at their workstations - there seems to be confusion between worksteps and orders. I've often ordered multiple coffees to take-away and there's been a few minutes between each order being ready. On Thursday they simply mixed up my order and gave me the wrong coffee. They seemed so flustered that I accepted it and left. I hope things improve before my next visit.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Galway
“Rude Barista”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Today my girlfriend and I visited Costa Coffee in Galway. We were served by the rudest member of staff we have ever encountered in any establishment. We ordered two cakes & two coffees. She proceeded to throw one of the cakes onto the plate with such aggression that it bounced onto the tray. She then proceeded to replace the cake & placed two knives onto said plate in her own apathetic manner. To top this all off when paying for our items she flung our change at my girlfriend with such aggression that it all landed on the counter. We were incredulous at her actions. She did not even speak to is during the entire interaction. Her gauche mannerisms were extremely off putting & with 'service' this bad we would not recommend this establishment to anybody.

• Visited July 2014