“Boutique hotel in Galway” 4 of 5 stars

The House Hotel
Spanish Parade, Galway, Ireland   |
Ranked #5 of 56 Hotels in Galway
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Boutique hotel in Galway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

The House Hotel is a lovely boutique hotel in Galway City.

Very close to the main shopping street and Eyre Square. Parking is not on site but in a garage 5 minutes walk away and was €7 for 24 hours.

The rooms are nicely decorated, some with balconies with obstructed views of the harbour.

The staff were helpful and I experienced no issues with service. Breakfast was included in the rate and was okay, what you'd expect with a good selection.

The restaurant doesn't have a great selection on the menu so we didn't dine there so cant comment on the quality.

The location is great, just around the corner from Shop Street and near plenty of bars and restaurants.

Salthill beach is only a 5 minute drive away too.

The rooms are nicely decorated, the beds are comfy and our double room had probably a king bed or a really big double, not two singles pushed together! But the pillows, like most hotels, are pretty hard and difficult to sleep on.

The A/C / heating doesn't go below 17 degrees and I found the room very hot and stuffy which made it uncomfortable to sleep although I have stayed here twice in two separate rooms and only experienced this on the second stay.

Noise from the corridor is very loud but it wasn't an issue as we had quiet neighbours, but you can clearly hear people's conversations and doors slamming, during a busy period this could be a nuisance.

Traffic noise was also very loud when it passed but thankfully it seemed to be a quiet street.

It is not the cheapest hotel in the area but based on reviews of other hotels seems like a good option as others are more basic.

There was not a great selection of TV channels.

Galway is a lovely city and well worth the trip and although the hotel isn't perfect it is nice and clean and I will more than likely stay again

• Stayed May 2013
galwayguests, General Manager at The House Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of all the team here at The House Hotel I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave a review following your stay.

Thank you for your nice comments; I’m delighted that this was a return stay and one that you enjoyed. Our location is key to us and we do pride ourselves in being in the middle of the amazing atmosphere that Galway has to offer.

Just in relation to a few of your concerns – we are currently looking at our wine menu and making additions to it – I do hope when you do return again there will be a more extensive choice.

We have a control at reception for our A/C and it has a three options re: control – it may have been the case on this occasion that the A/C may have been on the wrong setting at reception – we are looking into this.

Thank you again for your kind review and we do hope to have you return to The House Hotel once again.

Margaret Jenkins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I booked this hotel for my cousins hens as we got a very good package. We didnt want to do the cocktail class but the hotel gave us the 2 cocktails for when we all meet up the start of the day. A few members of the group didnt arrive until that evening and the hotel kindly gave them vouchers for the cocktails they missed. The finger food I ordered was amazing I think it was a little priced as it was Eur20 per platter and a platter was supposely to fill 20 people. Only 14 of us where there and I ordered 3 platters and there was no way these would of filled 60 people but the food was amazing. As it was my cousin hens we were given room 116 and this was a suite absoulatly amazing room. The bathroom was huge and so clean. Really loved the girly feeling I got from the hotel .
I ordered balloons for my cousin but unfortunatly one of the weights came off and it went up to the ceiling. It couldnt be brought down sooooo if you in the hotel have a look up the high celing and a lovely pink ballon display is there.
The meal that night was very busy we had over 25 people sitting to the meal and as the resturant is in the same area as bar it got very crowed very fast. At one stage a woman was sitting on my shoulder and i had to ask her to get off. My advice would be to have your meal as early as possible especially if you there on a saturday night. The music was great. Mix for all ages. The breakfast was also lovely.
I will be returning back for another hens in September and have to say I cannot fault the hotel.
the barman are very good looking to so eye candy on the night goes along way.

Looking forward to my return

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a lovely review of your recent stay here at The House Hotel. We do enjoy our Hens arriving at the weekend and it's lovely to hear that you all enjoyed it.

Let's hope you can make it back to us again without the worry of having to organise a big group!!

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

My friend booked this hotel for us and I was delighted as it looks like a lovely hotel!

The website pictures are true to what the hotel is like! Really lovely, clean, modern but with a funky twist. The bedroom was lovely and clean and so was the hotel in general. This hotel would have made 4-5 stars if these things had not let it down.

- When checking in we were left waiting and wondering around. There was no one at the front house to check us in. We couldn't find anyone to ask and eventually the receptionist turned up.

- Although I love music and I'm young, getting to sleep was a nightmare. I have stayed in hotels with loud bars downstairs but this was another thing altogether! It was soooooo loud!

- Getting served at the bar for cocktails was a looooong wait, then once they were ordered they took even longer to get to us.

Things I liked about the hotel:

-Decor was really nice

- great central location

Dear Jane,

From all of us here at The House Hotel, thank you for your recent informative review left on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed the decor and location of the hotel. It can be extremely convenient for shoppers and clubbers alike.

We are very dissappointed to hear you were waiting for a Front of House representative to greet you upon arrival. This is a very rare and isolated incident to which we can only apologise profusely for and I can assure you this will not happen again.

Regarding the music we have on a Friday and Saturday night from 10.30pm -2am, we deeply and genuinely regret any inconvenience caused to you. We are very rigid in our approach to allocating rooms on the weekends and we did not make it our intentions to disrupt your sleep.

Our DJ is aware of our guests who are not going out at the weekends, therefore we turn the bass on the music down. However, going forward we will have stringint rules in place to avoid such comments as these in future and again we apologise for the interrupted sleep.

In relation to our famous cocktails, our mixologists take great pride in making the best cocktails in Galway city and have won numerous awards to back this up. They take a little bit longer than your average alcoholic beverage to prepare but we take great pride in making certain they are the best in the city and hope they were worth the wait.

We do have waitress service in the lobby so you don't have to get up and wait at the bar. We do recognise they take a bit longer and as we are such a popular place for the cocktails, we are working on ways to reduce the wait at the bar for our thirsty guests adn as of this weekend we are trialing a bottle bar in the lobby area of the hotel.

We genuinely do hope you will be back in future to acknowledge all of these issues have been addressed as we take on board all comments from our valued customers.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

The Hotel is very cute, I love the sleeping cats outside the door. And the do not disturb sign has a picture of a cat sleeping. On it. The breakfast sign has a picture of a cat eating on it. The bathrooms could have a seal on the doors to ensure privacy when using the bathroom. The rooms were clean and nice, however our room had 2 missing light bulbs which is a little inconvenient. The Hotel is in a grate location very close to the city center and has cheep parking near by.

• Stayed May 2013
galwayguests, General Manager at The House Hotel, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review The House Hotel on Tripadvisor.

We are delighted you loved our Cat symbols and it does get mentioned quite a lot!

We take all comments on board and unfortunately, our bathroom doors in the hotel are similar as this is what the designer had in mind for a sleek and modern finish. We genuinely hope this did not inconvenience you.

I'm disappointed to hear of your lightbulbs not working in the room and had we been made aware we would have changed them immediately.

We hope to welcome you back very soon and don’t forget, if you would like to receive all our fantastic offers, why not join our mailing list for all our sneaky deals for our loyal fans! Just send us your email address to info@thehousehotel.ie
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Was here last weekend celebrating my hen night, wanted somewhere classy , stylish and comfortable.. Couldn't have asked for better, our package was €180 for 2 nights including breakfasts, 1 3 course meal, cocktail classes and cocktails, which I felt was v good value. Location is fantastic, just around the corner from Spanish Arch, good was delicious, had breakfast, lunch and dinner here, all delicious. Rooms were lovely, a little big noises due to Dj playing downstairs but that was not a major concern for us as we were either out ourselves or wrecked tired!Cocktails were so good and Kevin our teacher was excellent, really good fun and v nice.. Decor in the hotel is lovely, it is very comfy and cosy.. A ideal place to sit during a afternoon and chat with a friend or just read a paper. Loved every minute of my stay here, well done House Hotel, keep up the fantastic value and service...

• Stayed May 2013
galwayguests, General Manager at The House Hotel, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear Valued Customer,

We would like to thank you for such an amazing review and we are all delighted to hear you enjoyed every aspect of the hotel.

It was our pleasure to accomodate you and your group and we look forward to welcoming you back for many more nights in the future.

For all our latest amazing offers such as our 'Hen Party Package', please call us on 091-538900
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Great central location, easy walking distance to the main streets. The room was spacious, and the modern decor made this hotel stand out from the crowd of traditional Irish Inns. The staff was exceedingly friendly, and the breakfast was great! We opted for an early night after a full day of hiking Connemara, but wish we would have tried the bar downstairs.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your experience on Tripadvisor.

We are delighted to hear you appreciated all the services The House Hotel has to offer.

I am delighted to hear our staff were polite and helpful as we aim for exceptional service at all times.

We look forward to welcoming you back to sample our delicious cocktails from our House Cocktail Bar!
St. Andrews, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I went to the House Hotel for dinner with a big party (around 30 people). They had a 3 Course Dinner for €24.95. The food was really good. I had the homemade soup as a starter (it was a creamy leek and potato - very tasty). For my main course I had chicken with smoked bacon & thyme stuffing and a white wine and mushroom sauce. I enjoyed it a lot. I chose baked chocolate fondant with berry compote for a sweet. Again it was really good, in fact all the food was nicely prepared. The atmosphere, however, was noisy and became increasingly so as the evening went on. We didn't have any coffee, and the three courses took almost three hours to serve - rather longer than I would have liked. By the end of the meal the noise level had reached such a level that conversation with the person sitting beside me was nearly impossible. As the volume of music increased, people had to shout more and more to be heard. Our party consisted mostly of men, but the other parties there seemed to be hen parties. In fact the place looked as if it specialised in hen parties and the decor reflected this.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The House Hotel? Share your experiences!