“ABSOLUTE DISGRACE. STAY AWAY.” 1 of 5 stars

Lynfield B&B
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   9 College Road, Galway 11111, Ireland   |
Ranked #105 of 187 Galway B&B and Inns
dublin
“ABSOLUTE DISGRACE. STAY AWAY.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

No other words to describe this place, in particular the owner named Adrian. We booked Lynfield Guest House almost 2 months in advance. Spoke to owner Adrian on the phone after booking to check on details of the place. Everything was fine, until we arrived. A young girl who barely spoke english was there to greet us. Told us they made double bookings by mistake and as a result they had no room for us. The girl got on the phone to Adrian, who told me they made a mistake or rather he pinned the blame on the girl and said will book us into another B&B on the same street and call me back. Didn't call me at all. Instead called the young girl and gave instructions through her???????? Bearing in kind she hardly spoke any english. Eventually booked us into another place which was not the standard for what we paid but by that time, with 2 elderly people with us, we decided to stay put. I called Adrian immediately asking for a proper explanation. Why does he leave a young girl with little english in charge to greet guests and handle these matters. Why wouldn't he talk to us in person? He just replied by blaming the girl, saying she makes mistakes and he will make sure it will not happen again. Didn't apologise, didn't take any accountability. I then did more research on this place and discovered MANY other people had the same issue. I don't believe this is a coincidence. There seems to be a pattern of 'double booking people' and then diverting them to 'lower rated B&B' which are not the standard for the price paid. I intend to take this matter further and hopefully prevent other people falling into the same trap with this owner.

Stayed October 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Alexandria, Virginia, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2009

The Lynfield has a good location on College Road, a short walk from center of town and the tourist information center. Breakfast was good,with eggs, bacon, sausage, black & white pudding, toast, bread, scones, and (yes) beans. The owner is a young Polish woman named "Kate." She's very accommodating and even rustled us some toast and coffee when we arrived well after breakfast. On the other hand, it was rather hard to communicate with her, and she didn't serve as a resource for anything other than breakfast preferences and checkout. Parking is pretty normal for a B&B--which means a bit tight. College Road is a good route out of Galway for daytrips--you don't have to go through the city center. Our upstairs room had big windows with two double beds and one twin. That was as well, because there wasn't much in the way of storage furniture. The bathroom fixtures were a little wonky, but they worked. There are students boarding in the house, but they caused no problems with noise or anything else. Prices were reasonable, and they take credit cards.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

There are numerous negatives I could list about Lynfield (tiny rooms, dodgy shower, suspect cleanliness, chain smoking innkeeper, smooth talking owner, etc.) however, I will list the ONLY positive feature about this place - it's a 10 minute walk from Galway City center. That's it, there is NO other reason to stay here. There are so many other B&B's in Galway that do a much better job, so for my money, do NOT stay at Lynfield.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
bangor
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2009

Having read other reviews, I wonder are they geniunely from other guests. This is the worst place I have ever experienced. The bedroom was situated in the attic - up a very narrow stair case which was the width of my suitcase - the room had two double beds - No wardrobe and no dressing table or drawers. The bathroom had no window or working vent, there was no bath mat, liquid soap couldnt work up a bubble as it was so watered down. There was the rusty remains of a soap tray in the shower cubicle. Towels were black - probably so you couldnt see any dirt. The floor was not hoovered. The sky light window couldnt open without a tool box (didnt have one on me at the time). The same girl did everything from the time we arrived - including asking for payment on arrival, and I was asked for the third time what my rate was - reason why to follow. Breakfast was a total new experience. BEANS - and loads of them, shrivelled microwaved sausage x1, bacon slice x 1 and an overdone egg. There was no selection, there was no choice of toast, the jams were in mini pots which were clearly refilled over and over, juice glasses were all different sizes, and the yogurts were left on the side board nicely warmed for anyone brave enough to attempt the cheap brand. The table crockery was stained. You had to share a small vacum flask of tea with all the other guests. This is truly a terrible example of Irish hospitality and I wonder how the owner gets away with it. Price per room vary, and explains the numerous times I was asked. I sat for breakfast with five other guests and couldnt believe the same experience was had by all. Dont be decieved and book elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

We visited Galway City during the Volvo Ocean Race. Galway was one of the main stop off ports. The city was packed, with people everywhere. We had booked Lynfield Guesthouse when we heard the event was stopping off in Galway. We travelled to Galway by train.Lynfield was great. I was just a three minute walk from the train station.The room was bright and well maintained and the breakfast was top class with a great choice. The lady at the desk gave us advise on where to go and what to see. The price was very reasonable, given the crouds that were around. I think booking early was key to that, as lots of people found it difficult to get accommodation.

The docks are was completely transformed for the visiting yachts. There were food stalls everywhere and a mucic event each night. We really enjoyed the atmosphere.

One day we took a day trip of Connemara. I was great to see wild, undeveloped countryside so close to a major tourist city. The bus driver did a fabulous job in describing everything.

That evening we ate at one on the many local restaurants.

Lynfield is just a few minute walk from Eyre Square, the centre of Galway City. All around are restaurats, bars and shops.

We really enjoyed our time in Galway City

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Lynfield B&B? Share your experiences!