“Never seen a smile from the owner!” 2 of 5 stars

Cashelmara Lodge
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   3 Cashelmara | Salthill, Galway, Ireland   |
Ranked #56 of 187 Galway B&B and Inns
Limerick, Ireland
“Never seen a smile from the owner!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

We stayed in this lodge for one night but didn't have a very good experience. The owner, actually I didn't know her name until I checked the reviews below, looked very serious and 'cold' since we stepped in. We didn't even see her smile once till we left, which made us feel so 'cold' and 'unwelcome' staying here. The room facility is great but one thing, not CLEANING enough. One coffee cup in my room and the one in my friends' room were not clean at all (ours has coffee print and the other one has sugar left at the bottom!) AND THERE IS BLOOD on the duvet cover!! Actually we think she can do much better as she is at a good location and has very nice rooms! I have stayed in many places in Ireland when I travel around but this is the most uncomfortable and disappointed B&B I have ever stayed. Usually wherever I stayed I would have a chat with the owner and be recommended with advices, suggestions, and experience sharing - BUT NOT THIS ONE, just want to escape from the cold place.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Cashelmara, Manager at Cashelmara Lodge, responded to this review, February 18, 2012
Dear guest,
I am sorry you feel that way about our guesthouse and that you did not feel welcome as most people do but unfortunitly we had difficulty with your party as they were very noisy. I had to get up at 1:30 at night and ask them to be quiet and stop running from room to room, shouting and banging doors. We had a complaint from another customer about the noise that night. I tried to help these guests with restaurants etc. but they stated they were ok - Regarding smiling I always smile and have conversations upon arrival. Our rooms are always clean and it is untrue to say there was blood in the bed clothes. As can be seen from previous reviews there has never been an issue with the cleanliness of Cashelmara Lodge.
Regards,
Christina

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Cork
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

We (a couple in our 30's) stayed in the BnB for 2 nights. Upon arrival we were impressed with the nice drawing room downstairs. We opted for a room on the top floor, which was quite big and comfortable, with a velux-type window above the bed. The guesthouse is very clean. Breakfast was 10/10, and any queries we had were always well received and dealt with nicely. The hostess Christina makes you feel very welcome and the whole team is just very nice. We highly recommend this BnB.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Irvinestown, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

Returned to Cashelmara Lodge for the second year in a row.Christina and her family make excellent hosts.Bedroom delightful...lots of hot water readily available.Stunning views.Central location.Beautiful breakfast with as many helpings as you wish.Healthier options available.All in all a fantastic holiday.....and we will have no hesitation in returning.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
chilliwack
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2010

My husband and I stayed for two nights with our sister and Father-n-law,
I have to say that this was one of the most memorable bed and breakfasts that we stayed in while we vacationed in Ireland for two weeks.
Christina was the most outgoing host. She made our stay a very welcoming one and her and her very dear husband insisted on driving us to the local restaurants. One evening she even inlisted her lovely daughter to drive us around.
All in all, the whole family made us feel welcome and just very relaxed.
The food was wonderful and the service was over the top.
I would advise any one traveling to Galway to stay here. The location is very handy for traveling to the Aran Islands and right on the ocean.
Thanks to Christina and best wishes to her whole family.
Tom and Noreen Thompson
Chilliwack, B.C.
Canada

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Cashelmara for 5 nights. This was the best B&B experience in Ireland--and we had many very fine experiences. Cashelmara is owned and operated by Christina Fahey. The pride of ownership shows in the care of every detail of the B&B. It is immaculate. The place is tastfully decorated and well-maintained. I thought the place had been recently remodeled because it had that squeaky clean feeling of new things. The breakfasts are generous and beautifully prepared.

Cashelmara Lodge is perfectly situated for seeing the sights in and around Galway with easy access to Inishmore (Aaron Islands), Cliffs of Mohr, the Burrens, and Connemera. Salthill is a quiet little town just 2 miles outside Galway.

Christina was a gracious and kind hostess who was helpful in every way without being intrusive. We returned from a full day of sightseeing the Burrens and the Cliffs of Mohr, trying to figure out when we would be able to get to the laundramat before our trip to the Aaran Islanns--the ferry left promptly at 10:30 AM the next day. We ran out of clean clothes. We opened the door to our room to find our laundrey had been done and neatly folded on our freshly made-up bed. I hesitated to include this detail because, of course this is NOT to be expected but was an example of the above-and-beyond kind of hospitality that we experienced at Cashelmara Lodge.

I will definitely stay here again on our next trip to Ireland. I can't recommend it hightly enough.

I really appreciate TripAdvisor. I consulted it and the information guided my decisions on where to stay throughout Ireland. It turned out to be a very reliable resource for anyone traveling to an unfamiliar location. The only disagreement that I have with TripAdvisor is, one bad rating can unreasonably bring down the rating of an outstanding establishment. I see no reason why Cashelmara Lodge should not have received the highest rating possible. I would suggest that TripAdvisor eliminate the highest and lowest evaluation every quarter. That would eliminate the outlier evaluations that can be misleading.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Cashelmara Lodge for our first two nights in Ireland. It was a great choice. Comfortable, well appointed room. Use of balcony with glorious views across the water. Breakfasts were great. Christina and her husband were very helpful in giving us advice about good pubs and restaurants to visit and their suggestion to visit the island of Aran, the town of Dingle on the Dingle Peninsula and Kinsale down near Cork were great recommendations.
We would both recommend this B and B highly.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Chilliwack
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

Christina's unique personality was the outstanding feature of this lovely family run B&B. One of the best we stayed in in all of Ireland. She called my 80 year old father the V.I.P. and even made him a sandwich and gave him a beer when my brother and sister inlaw went out for the evening and he had decide to stay in. Her whole family were over the top in there service ,even driving us to restraunts and joining us in a little cheer at the end of the day in there lounge. We totally enjoyed there company and appreciated there knowledge of the area and all there suggestions of sights to see. There family is truely one you would love to have visit your own home. Clean, comfortable, and awesome views. We hope to see you again.!!Regards the Thompsons.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Been to Cashelmara Lodge? Share your experiences!