“Avoid this awful place” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 56 Hotels in Galway
Dublin, Ireland
“Avoid this awful place”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

Very disappointing stay. The room was extremely noisey and when I noticed that 3 of the window catches were missing and therefore the windows didn't close properly I wasn't surprised. I contacted the reception desk before 10pm and a young man who informed me he was working in the bar and not actual reception staff came to my assistance. He explained that the "real" receptionist wouldn't be back until 8am and he offered to stuff a towel in the window gap! I declined this offer. The lamp beside the bed was badly chipped and cracked. The furniture was very shabby, there was no remote for the tv and there were cobwebs on the bathroom ceiling. The noise however was the worst aspect of all. All in all a terrible experience and I'm very disappointed that I hadn't read the awful reports the hotel received on trip advisor before I booked. There are plenty of much better and cheaper hotels in Galway city.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Waterford, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

Stayed for 2 nights. Fantastic Location! The room was a good size. We didn't have great view but I had requested a quiet room at the back so I cant really complain there. Lovely staff everyone we met was friendly and so helpful- What a breath of fresh air!
Good value and it is located right in the centre of the city you couldn't ask for better. Will most definately recommend this hotel to anyone heading to Galway. I hope to get back up to Galway very soon myself

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

Was overcharged and recieved absolutely no sleep with the noise from people on quay street and also the roadsweepers at 3/4 am, breaking bottles and stacking crates . Reception completely ignored me when i complained the next morning. I also Complained later in the day and was promised a call back which never happened . Makes me question the word " hotel " .

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

We will definately return to the spanish arch hotel! The location is spot on, right in the centre of the city. The bar downstairs is great (We stayed on a Friday and Saturday night and they had a different live band each night, both were outstanding!!).
Our room was nice, very clean decent size, looking out over quay street so there was abit of street noise on the saturday night but that was expected, didnt bother us anyway cos we were down in the bar most of the night. The staff were great, recommending restaurants and helping with our day trip to the aran islands! This was the best hotel we've stayed in for a long time and we can't wait to return!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

Stayed here for two nights over a weekend. Can comfortably say this is in the top 3 worst hotels I have had the misfortune to stay in. The room was filthy, dust on all fixtures, mould on bathroom wall with taps, window latches, bathrom tiles and light switches all broken.Bath was yellow from body fat as was the shower curtain. The hotel is little more than a few rooms over a pub with no reception area, wifi, parking, dining room or any other facilities you would come to expect from a hotel charging €125 per room per night. The band in the bar played until 2am (they were terrible - go to the Kings Head for great live music) but the noise from the street was sufficent to keep us awake regardless, bins being collected at 6am woke us the following morning.......you will be dissapointed by this hotel so please take head and stay well away.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Frederick, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2010

I love the spanish Arch and have stayed there before you cannot beat the location. We were there during the week for 3 nights, so got a great rate of 65 Euro per night, you simply can not beat that. The room was spotless, loved the little balcony and view out onto the Corrib from teh top floor.

The staff were warm and welcoming. The only issue is the hot water just did not want to be more than warm. They put a service call in, but it was not fixed before we were gone. This was only an issue the last day, and to be honest, I could live with it just fine.

Will stay there again and again. Of course McDonough's is right next door for lunch, and also O' Riordan's is across the street and about 10 doors up for the best most tasty, huge affordable breakfasts.

I honestly did not notice the music being to loud, or street noise. I ama light sleeper, but we were on the top floor so that muffled it.
Bed super comfy and bedding so soft you just melted into it :)
Cheers! Well done Spanish Arch Hotel!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2010

€75 room only per room per night is excellent value. The Spanish Arch is right in the heart of the Latin Quarter in the centre of Galway city, beside the docks and just around the corner from Eyre Square. It's also in a pedestrian area so there's no disturbance from traffic noise. The room we had was a good size with the comfiest bed. En suite of course with a powerful shower. The hotel doesn't do breakfast but there are tea/coffee making facilities in the room and the hotel does food from 12 noon and there are excellent trad sessions at night in the bar. The staff couldn't be more helpful. I needed a hair dryer. They had one up to our room within minutes. They do ask for a deposit of €50 when you check in but it was given back to us without any delay when we checked out. Also if you're driving, park in the car park beside Jurys (two doors from Spanish Arch), get the hotel to stamp the car park ticket before you leave and you can park for a substantially reduced rate. Surprisingly even though we were in a room facing the street, the noise outside was not a problem although I definitely wouldn't recomment this area for people who like early nights.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Spanish Arch Hotel? Share your experiences!