“great location, great hotel” 4 of 5 stars

The Salthill Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Salthill Promenade, Galway, Ireland   |
Ranked #15 of 56 Hotels in Galway
Antrim, United Kingdom
“great location, great hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

After using this site for so many holidays i thought it was time to give something back. I stayed in the salthill for a couple of nights with my wife and 11 month daughter. The hotel is in a great location, everything in walking distance. The room itself was a double, it was spacious and well equiped. There was no fridge or minibar in the room which seems to be the case with most hotels these days. There useful for keeping the childs food and milk in. Anytime we needed fresh milk reception got us it straight away and where more than helpfull. We booked 2 nights b&b and 1 dinner. The food was great it both cases, as was the service. The only thing holding me from giving it full marks was that there was a function on the first night and a wedding the 2nd. As were our room was situated it was a bit noisy at times. But as we were on holiday we weren't in bed early so didnt really bother us and didn't disturb the child in any way. Overall an enjoyable stay in a great hotel with good food and family friendly.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
ByrneHotelGroup, Manager at The Salthill Hotel, responded to this review, July 27, 2011
Dear Guest raymondmclarnon,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review. I am very happy you and your family had an enjoyable stay with us. Customer feedback is very important, as it provides valuable information for myself and my team and ensures we are consistently striving to deliver high standards of service.
I hope to welcome you back again to Salthill Hotel soon.

Salthill Hotel Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Korean first
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

I rang to book a spot for my campervan. They said no need, just arrive. I drove for 4 hours to the campsite and was refused because they only accecpt families, this was not mentioned on the phone. Myself and the wife cannot have chrilden, my wife was very upset, they offered little or no help to find other sites. We spoke to a french family later that day that also had to leave because the owner was so rude to thrm.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Isle of Man
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

stayed here for 2 nights in June for a friend's wedding.

Staff very friendly.

My room was in the older part of the hotel at the back, but still very comfy and nicely appointed. Not as big as the newer rooms. Good bathroom.

Food at the wedding was superb.

Superb (and huge) health club and 25m pool.

All in all very good value and nice hotel right on the seafront.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest TDMIsleofMan,
Thank you very much for writing such a positive review. At Salthill Hotel we are very fortunate to be a popular wedding venue and it is great to receive feedback from these magical events. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you again in the not so distant future.

Co. Tipperary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

We booked 3nghts. B&B + 1 E.Meal. This hotel is graded as a three star but having stayed there many times I feel that it should be upgraded to a four star.
We had a lovely room with a sea view. The bed was so comfortable that we have decided to change our own bed as soon as possible.
The leisure center has a 25m plus 18m pool with a toddler pool also provided.
The food was excellent and the staff could not do enough for us.
We would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: A room with sea view cost 20.00 extra per night but is well worth it.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear guest tipp63,

I would like to sincerely thank you for writing such a kind review. I am thrilled you have decided to return to Salthill Hotel. It is very pleasing to know you were satisfied with our accommodation, leisure club and food service.

Thank you very much for recommending Salthill Hotel, we look forward to welcoming you back again in the not so distant future.

Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

Pretty much as one would expect for a hotel of this sort - comfortable rooms with everything we needed (tho' the wi-fi was a bit intermittent). Friendly and helpful staff. Breakfast seemed a bit disorganised and it seemed a waste to bring toast without asking and while people were still eating cereal! Swam before breakfast and had the 25m pool almost to myself. (Swim hats are compulsory but can be purchased for a small price - one or two euros I think it was.) One thing that seemed strange was that wedding receptions were held in the main lobby - it felt a bit odd to be walking through a group of people in wedding garb and sipping champagne when you're in ordinary clothes!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear guest nellgb,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write such a helpful review. Gathering customer feedback is a magnificant way for us to improve and maintain our standards. I am very glad the room was to your liking and that you enjoyed our leisure centre.

USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

I would not recommend staying here, 1st of all, if you are American and visiting Ireland on a tour the hotel staff will treat you like they are doing YOU a favor. Funny though since Ireland is in such a bankrupt state, it is amazing that they are treating paying customers this way. So, my husband and I requested no maid service for the day, which was fine the maid left a bag of supplies outside our door. Inside the bag was the master key to all the hotel rooms for the entire hotel! We alerted the front desk, whom told us that no manager was available to talk to us! This was the 2nd week of June, and it was a dark haired receptionist. The receptionist then called our room later that night at 10pm to let us know the key was just a fake and not really a master key! She was lying, I know this because the key worked for our door, it worked for my brother's door, and it worked for my mother's door. It was definately a master. Dont stay here, dont trust them, they have a notice on the door saying "not responsible for lost/stolen items". !!!! Of course, they dont care if your things get taken, they are probably in on it! BEWARE!
To make matters worse, they had a wedding going on the night we were there, wedding was so loud could hear all the way to the 3rd floor until 6am. DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011 via mobile

Really nice hotel in à lovely area, we looked at staying in the galway bay but so happy we picked salthill hotel instead. So nice and newbuilt aswell and atleast. 60€ cheaper à night and its Next Door ! So nice area too, feela like you are in à different country on à sunny day.

• Stayed July 2011
Dear Guest resegalen,

I would like to thank you sincerely for your positive and kind review of our property. I am delighted you took the opportunity to enjoy our seaside location, one which we are very fortunate to have. I am glad you had a nice experience and I look forward to welcoming you back to Salthill Hotel in the near future.

Salthill Hotel Team

Been to The Salthill Hotel? Share your experiences!