“Misleading” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #128 of 187 Galway B&B and Inns
Cape Cod
“Misleading”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2009

My Welsh wife and I were in Galway and stayed at a mediocre hotel near the "Garvey" which is in the center of town. Later the following day, we saw a sign outside the Garvey that indicated Bed & Breakfast for some amount I don't recall now. Anyhow, we asked to see a room and were likely shown the best one in the place as the room we were assigned was far less tidy and had a few problems we'd later discover such as not being able to shut-off the water flow to the shower, and having to use the elevator because the stairwell was clogged with junk and the first floor door to the stairwell was locked; likely in attempt to prevent theft of the junk. When we went to check out the following day, we found that the bill was far more than expected. Sparing the details involving this issue, we refused to pay a cent more than what we were quoted. However, we had to make a few threats such as involving the Galway Fire Department should they continue to demand the unreasonable and misleading rate. Staying at the Garvey really ruined to mood of the day.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

old, dark, musty, claustophobic, tiny room. Perhaps room was not representitative of all the rooms but wouldn't take the chance and stay there again.
low cost/location is the only thing to recommend it... but there are much better options.
Perhaps a nice place to stay if you are looking for something that envokes a more traditional simpler time (ie pre-modern-contemporary-less-musty-hotels:-) or don't need space for a suitcase. Also a real gem if you have an interest in dark corridors and old carpet.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2009

My fiance and I stayed in Garvey's for one night as we were passing through Galway,it was cheap and the hotel location was excellent but thats where it stops! the room was tiny!!! The walls had damp running down them,the fan in the bathroom made a hissing noise ALL night,the corridor smell of food all day,the light in the bathroom did not work,the bottom of the shower had dirty marks all over it...I could seriously go on but i won't,i am not a complainer as i work in the hotel industry and its tough work but this was not up to standard,I don't know where the other reviewers were or if there was a new part that we were not booked into but even the breakfast tasted as if it had been standing around for hours... I should have complained at the time but i didn't want to waste my night in Galway with such things! I suppose at least the sheets were clean..one thing to be thankful for!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2009

Great hotel, centrally located and really friendly staff. Rooms are clean and comfortable. The bar serves the best pint of Guinness I've ever tasted! Definitely going to be going back there soon.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2009

I had heard that the irish were aome of the most hospitable people in the world, but Terry and his staff proved that correct. They all made me feel as though I was at home even though I was far from it. I personally just waiting for another chance to go back and see them again. If you guys read this, thankyou Terry, Rob, Johnny, and all the rest.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2009

We had a blast at Garveys and were really well looked after. All 12 of us left happy, really good to let us have a very late breakfast which was delicious. Cant wait to go back to Galway and will definately stay there again.

• Stayed May 2009
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2009

I've been to Galway three times and by far my stay at Garveys was the best time. I can't get over how freindly the staff and regular patrons were. It didn't matter what meal I had the food was great, especially during lunch. The room was comfotable and clean. I enjoyed my stay there, Thank you Garveys.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Garvey's Inn? Share your experiences!