“poor service in the spa” 2 of 5 stars

The g Hotel Galway
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Wellpark, Galway, Ireland   |
Ranked #6 of 56 Hotels in Galway
Dublin, Ireland
“poor service in the spa”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2007

Decided to book a treatement in the spa on recommendation. On arrival at the given time we were told that because we would have to change the minutes it would take us would be taken off our treatment time!!!!!! and they were ......
The therapists were unfriendly and rushed the treatment. No consultation was given on my skin type etc as is usual. The relaxation area is too bright and contained no magazines. Access to the pool was an extra €30. Very poor experiece and I will not return. Spirit One Spa in the Radisson is miles ahead ihn every way.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
Kildare
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2007

My girlfriend and I were most excited at the prospect of our weekend break in the g hotel.

Having visited their website and read the glowing reviews on here, we were lead to believe that we would have been staying in the finest hotel that Ireland had to offer.

When we eventually arrived we were in for a shock...

Did you know that the g hotel is located in an Industrial estate? It's the only 5 star hotel I have been to that you could easily drive-by, not noticing it was a hotel.
The view from our window was of a home hardware store (Atlantic Homecare, if I recall correctly).

The closes pub to the g involves taking your life into your own hands by trying to dodge the oncoming traffic, with not a pedestrian crossing in sight.

The hotel itself is a good few miles from Galway city centre, so unless you plan to spend day and night in the hotel and spend a fortune on cocktails, you need to either walk for 25 minutes or spend ten euro on a taxi there, and another ten euro back.

The hotel itself is decorated nicely. There's no mistake that a designer had been let loose with a blank cheque. There are three main rooms where the bar is located - a pink room, a blue room and a white room. The pictures on the website are deceptive as they give the impression (to me anyways) that they look larger than they actually are.

I can't fault the staff. They were always very friendly and helpful.

The water in parts of Galway is contaminated at the moment. So you get to complete that 5 star experience by asking a member of staff for a bottle of water so you can brush your teeth.

Having got numerous taxis to Galway city and back to the g, every driver asked me what I thought of the g. I said nothing and asked them what they thought. The general impression relayed back to me is that the hotel is deemed as "ponsey"... not a bad thing, I thought to myself as I held my bright pink umbrella courtesy of the g.

• Liked — The bed
  • Disliked — The location and pink umbrellas!
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2007

Just back from a weekend at The G. I got a gift of a voucher for 2 nights B&B and 1 dinner, myself and my boyfriend chose to upgrade to a luxury suite at the rate of e120 per night, and it was so so worth it.

The room was huge, with a super comfy sofa and large plasma screen on the wall. The bed was enormous, and the bathroom alone was bigger than my own bedroom. Double walk in shower was great.

The design of the hotel is of course amazing, but in my opinion it's the service in the hotel that really makes the G so special. The staff are professional to the enth degree, very friendly without being pretentious and nothing is too much trouble for them. We ate dinner in the restaurant Riva, wow wow wow and wow again, the food was great. On Friday night they also had a great band playing.

To sum up, this is one amazing place, I can't wait to go back although when that will be I've no idea as it's so expensive, but I'll definitely be back. Yes the hotel is outside Galway city, but it's only six or seven euro for a cab into town. The only criticism I have relates to the Spa - hotel guests have to pay thirty euro to use the spa which I think, considering the cost to stay overnight in the hotel, is a bit much. As far as I know it's free to use the spa if you have a treatment booked though. Cannot recommend the G enough!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Having to leave!
Sligo, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2007

Oh my god - have just returned from a weekend at the G which my lovely hubby booked for a Birthday treat/surprise for me. It really was the most wonderful weekend....EVER! I could gush on for ages but will try to keep it concise!

We stayed in a suite which was massive and had the most comfy biggest bed I have ever slept in. the Cup cakes left for us and the turn down service were really nice touches (the cup cakes were SO tasty!) We had a few drinks in the cocktail bar which was lovely. Breaskfast was served until 11am on Sunday which gave us a chance to sleep in and the food was excellent. Not slow at all as some other reports have mentioned.

The decor is out of this world, even down to the doorhandles.

The only thing is that is about a 20 min walk in to town. (When we normally come to galway we usually stay at the House Hotel by the Spanish Arch which is much more central) but there seems to be a good pub and resturant over the road. We never made it out the hotel or the cocktail bar though!!!

Highly recommended.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — My Hangover from all the cocktails in the Cocktail bar!
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2007

This hotel is sleek and modern, with an artistic flair. I read about it in a travel magazine and staying there was my main motivation for visiting Galway. I personally found the interior a feast for the eyes and I loved the themed lounges (had great, but expensive, cocktails in the pink lounge). The bedrooms were spotless and we enjoyed baths in the extra-long tubs before retreating to the comfy beds. The cupcakes that they left were a nice touch. The next morning, the breakfast was very good (although the service was a bit slow, as previously mentioned).
All that being said, my husband felt that the hotel was a bit over-the-top and was not entirely comfortable with the eccentric elements of the hotel (like the lime green or bright pink saucer chairs in the dimly-lit purple hallways which were too dark to see down). We only stayed 1 night instead of 2 and transfered over to the House Hotel, which was a little more down to earth and closer to the main strip (Quay Street).
Personally, I enjoyed the G and would have loved to try the spa and the afternoon tea. But the best thing about the hotel was that it brought us to Galway, which is an amazing city that we definitely will try to return to!

Stayed May 2007
belfast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2007

I had heard a lot of good things about this hotel before i went and i must say that it mostly lived up to the hype.

I was a little put off by the location (busy road and cinema complex) however once inside these negatives were easily forgotten.

Yes it is quite expensive but it is 5* and i would say that the service was up to scratch. I only had a standard room but it was still a good size with a large bed.

The spa was excellent but do book before you go!

• Liked — the look
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
Belfast, Northern Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2007

Funky hotel, with fabulous decor and friendly service. We stayed for two nights and loved it. The breakfast on the first morning was a little slow but this was soon forgotten about due to the fabulous feel of the place. After arriving home I realised that I had left a belt (my favourite Guess belt!) in my room, I rang them, they located it and posted it to me promptly - nothing was too much trouble!

Stayed April 2007

Been to The g Hotel Galway? Share your experiences!