“Loud and overpriced” 2 of 5 stars

28 Eyre Square, Galway, Ireland   |
Ranked #16 of 56 Hotels in Galway
“Loud and overpriced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

Great location, helpful staff. Rooms cramped, dirty.Horrible heat, either suffocating or freezing. No heat in bathrooms! Fire alarm went off during the night and front desk said that happened all the time. Way overpriced.

Room Tip: Ask for internal room for quiet
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Skeffingtonmanager, Manager at Skeffington Arms Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Skeffington Arms Hotel and taking the time to submit your review.
I was delighted to read your comments about our helpful staff as we always place a high emphasis on customer care.
I was disappointed to hear that you were not happy with the room as our rooms are always cleaned to the highest of standards and we have never had any issues with cleanliness in the past.
Our rooms are fully heated with state of the art heating and cooling units and our bathrooms are fully heated as well including heated mirrors.
As we are a non smoking Hotel the alarm unfortunately went off because another guest was smoking in their room, they are brand new alarms and detect the slightest trace of smoke, we place a high value on all guests safety here at The Skeffington Arms however I appreciate that the noise may have inconvenienced you and I do apologize.
In relation to our rates we pride ourselves on continually offering the best price in the best location in Galway City.
100% Guest Satisfaction is very important to us and we aim to get this right with every guest I am saddened if we did not fully meet your expectations on this occasion.
Should you wish to stay in Galway again please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the Hotel on lisa@skeffington.ie and I will make sure your stay is an enjoyable one.

With Kind Regards,

Lisa Nee,

Front Office Manager,

Check out our sister hotel Prince of Wales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

We decided to stay overnight in Galway on our drive down south. We rang around a few hotels and read a few reviews and the Skeffington read quite well. It was a Saturday evening, so we figured we would be paying a bit more for accommodation if we wanted to be in town. We booked the Skeffington.... well... for Euro 165 it was woeful. The rooms were tiny, no airconditioning... no safe, no nothing. It was horrid! Meanwhile, the breakfast was ok, but nothing special. If you can find somewhere else, it would be worthwhile to do so in my opinion.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Skeffingtonmanager, Front Office Manager at Skeffington Arms Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for having stayed with us recently and for your review here on trip advisor. As mentioned in previous review responses, feedback is very important to us and is certainly welcomed.

Trip advisor comments are very valued and we are happy that you used it as a decision making tool when booking your stay in Galway. Our hotel meets all standards to qualify for its three star rating. We have air conditioning in all our 24 rooms and also personal safes inside our wardrobes as you enter your room. Reception would have been more than happy to assist you with that enquiry. In relation to our rates, here at the Skeffington Arms Hotel we pride ourselves on offering the most competitive rates in Galway City.

Again, we thank you for booking with us. We would very much welcome the opportunity to have you as our guest again in the future. Should you wish to book with us again, please do not hesitate to contact me on lisa@skeffington.ie

Thank you again for taking the time to post your review.

Warm regards

Scottish Islands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

Stayed at the Skeff for a short city break and was slightly worried about the noise from the bar so upon booking I asked for a quiet room. Check in was quick and efficient and I was assured that we were in the middle of the hotel and that there should be no noise. Despite it being a weekend and there being plenty of students about I slept well without any interruptions. It would seem that some of the rooms that overlook Eyre Square might be a bit noisier but I certainly had no issues on a busy Friday and Saturday night.

Breakfast in the morning was efficient and friendly and the manager who did the breakfast shift every morning is an asset to the skeff. Helpful, friendly and genuinely happy to help. Breakfast was good, a nice selection and the cooked breakfast was also cooked well and served in comfortable surroundings with a morning paper ready and waiting.

Staff overall were friendly in the hotel and the options for evening meals in the bar / restaurant were also good with fair sized portions representing good value for money.
The hotel has 24 rooms and is very well situated for exploring. The only negative I can comment on was that our room was slightly dusty and the small vent in the shower was thick with dust in room 207. The throw on the bed also had a few stains on it but I just removed that. Having said that the very generously sized shower made up for that and even though the room faced onto another room it still felt private and was accommodating. The bottled water in the room (whether it was spring or tap water I don’t know) was a nice little touch.

Overall we had a lovely stay and while housekeeping was not perfect, this could easily be improved on by the management and not a complete deal breaker.

I would recommend the Skeff to others as it is well situated, pleasant staff, good value for money and has a charming old world feel bar & restaurant.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Skeffingtonmanager, Front Office Manager at Skeffington Arms Hotel, responded to this review, October 6, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for talking the time to write your review regarding your past stay in The Skeffington Arms Hotel. I’m delighted to read your enjoyed your stay in the “City of the tribes”.

I was sorry to read that you did not rate our rooms positively and indeed your comments are taken on board straight away (which is so often noted upon positively on these reviews) and pricing levels / value for money (which I am glad to say are also are a constant positive feature of the reviews we receive both on Trip advisor and internally). Our team here at the hotel is among the friendliest out there, definitely something in the Galway water I think!! It is our ultimate goal to provide all of our guests with a high level of comfort and your kind comments really make all of the hard work worth while.

We are sorry that we failed to impress you on this occasion but we would appreciate the opportunity to host you again and prove that we strive to improve our standards.

Warm Regards,

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Stayed in a twin room with a friend as we were in town on my brother in laws stag party. In spite of it's proximity to the centre of town - and to the busy pub/club complex next door, the hotel was quiet, spotless and very nicely presented. Staff were warm and welcoming, the rooms were clean and comfortable...all round a very pleasant stay. Bit of a stroll across the square for car parking but I think that's true of a lot of Galway city centre hotels. Recommended for business or pleasure!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Skeffingtonmanager, Front Office Manager at Skeffington Arms Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review based on your stay with us at the Skeffington Arms Hotel, Eyre Square. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and I really appreciate you taking the time to tell others.

On behalf of all of us here at the Skeffington Arms Hotel, thank you for being our guest and I really hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Kind Regards,

Visiting Athlone??

Check out our sister hotel Prince of Wales Athlone
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

Galway is a charming small city, and an excellent base from which Connemara, County Mayo, the Burren, the Cliffs of Moher, Kylemore Abbey, Cong can be explored. The Skeffington Arms housed in late 18th-century buildings on Eyre Square--the traditional center of town--is an excellent hotel in all respects. While the buildings are historic, the interior is thoroughly retrofitted with all the features a traveler would expect at an inn: comfortable, attractive rooms, superb bathrooms, an elevator, atmospheric breakfast room, a central location and perhaps best of all, a cheerful, welcoming young staff. My wife includes a first-rate hair dryer among these amenities.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your lovely review on Trip advisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you took the time to tell others about your experience and I am delighted, as are the team, to receive such high praise about our facilities, breakfast and of course our service.

We are so fortunate with our location being right in the heart of Eyre Square in the middle of everything Galway has to offer. We pride ourselves on making sure we offer our entire guests the highest level of food standards from breakfast to A La Carte and I’m delighted to see your found breakfast to be of a high standard.

On behalf of all of us here at the hotel, thank you for being our guest and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel when your travels allow.

Kind Regards,

Visiting Athlone??

Check out our sister hotel Prince of Wales Athlone
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

The staff are fabulous. Nothing is too much trouble. The food is great and the location is perfect.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Skeffingtonmanager, Front Office Manager at Skeffington Arms Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2011
Dear Guest,

Many thanks indeed for your kind review of our hotel - it is always a pleasure to read such positive comments and I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to all the team here at the hotel. Again many thanks.

Kind regards,

Seattle, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

The staff here was amazing and I couldn't think of a better location; however, the room itself left something to be desired. The room was obviously updated with newer furnishings and the bathroom had been redone but there was a certain dinginess to the room. It always felt damp in there and the carpet had some pretty nasty stains.

I'm not entirely sure I would stay here again. The room wasn't terrible and, again, the staff were great but the room definitely fell short of expectations.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for your kind comments concerning our staff and location, we are extremely fortunate with both and I will pass on your kind comments onto our staff. I have noted your comments in relation to the carpet staining. The carpet stain is in our hallway and it is from alcohol from a past guest & is due to be replaced in the up coming weeks. Due to our summer season we were unable to replace until our busy season was coming to an end. In relation to the dampness we received no complaint during your stay or on checkout.

Please contact me directly on ---------- if ever planning a trip again to the “City of the Tribes” Once again thank you for your review on trip advisor and

Warm regards,

“Galway’s best kept secret”

Been to Skeffington Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!