“A good port in any storm” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #206 of 359 Restaurants in Galway
Cuisines: Irish
Orlando, Florida
“A good port in any storm”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

First of all, The Bard's Den is in Letterfrack, a tiny town near the entrance to Connemara National Park. My friends and I had hiked Diamond Hill late and needed food. Two places at the main intersection looked promising but were occupied only by bar patrons. The Bard's Den was not only open but serving. It is very clean, and the service and food were prompt. I had the very good seafood chowder that had an accent with what I think was thyme (or was it rosemary?). My entree was Connemara lamb stew. I was glad I asked them to leave off the large glop of mashed potatoes on top. I have learned that, while restaurant food in the Galway area is expensive, the portions justify the price. The stew was very solid (i.e., good), but after I had eaten about two-thirds of it, it still looked like a full portion was left. My only regret is that I was too full to try the crumble for dessert. There seemed to be more options as we headed back N59 toward Galway, but I have no regret that we found The Bard's Den.

Visited May 2013

“A very good restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

Have visited here several times. The fish and chips is the best in the area. The chicken with garlic sauce superb while the mussels with bacon and cabbage is very different. I like it and as I review regularily on TA, I don't give unwanted praise.

Ignore previous comments. I am a hill walker and love to come here hungry after a long day on the hills.it's perfect.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Killarney, Ireland
“crap restaurant!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

The worst experience in my life! This place is everything but a restaurant, a bar or a hostel! The lady in charge is drunkenly unfriendly. Food is disgusting! The hostel is dirty and the sheets are very stinky! While I was eating in the reataurant I could hear someone shouting in the kitchen! It's very annoying when you're trying to have dinner!!!

• Visited September 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Dublin
“Fabulous Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Called in for lunch, and were we glad we did. The food was outstanding. The decor is a bit dark, but thats only minor. We had probably the best chowder I have ever tasted. Also the mussels were amazing. Described as coming with bacon and cabbage !! The sauce was really delicious.
Another customer ordered the stew. We could not believe our eyes when we saw the portion size as it was brought out. It was enormous, and would easily feed two people.
It was quiet the day we called, but I reckon that was down to the fact that Galway were playing in the All Ireland Hurling Final. I highly recommend the place to anyone. Just make sure your hungry, portions are very generous. I will be back soon I hope

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Outstanding food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

The Bard's Den looks a bit doubtful from the outside but don't let that put you off. The inside of the restaurant is comfortable (in the winter it's probably very cosy) and the staff are very friendly.

But the great joy of this place is the food. It is simply outstanding. Try the mussels; try the Irish stew. We went twice in one week and both times it was wonderful.

The only criticism is that the portions are huge. If you don't like leaving half of what you were served or feeling bloated, as for a child's portion of whatever you choose. They're happy to do that.

Very definitely recommended.