“awful food, awful service” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #249 of 355 Restaurants in Galway
Cuisines: Continental
Wexford, Ireland
“awful food, awful service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

I had the misfortune to dine here recently. it took 25 minutes after we sat down before a drinks order was taken. The food that arrived was sub-par, one person ordered a Balti which was severely under-cooked, a Caesar salad which was over seasoned and banofee which had blackened bananas. The servers were extremely inappropriate & disrespectful and were seen mocking some of the customers. The glasses were not removed and when they were asked to remove the glasses they removed two and sighed loudly. Not enough cutlery was supplied. Overall we were extremely disappointed with service and food.

• Visited August 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Galway, Ireland
“Hit & Miss”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

As I work in this area I have eaten here with colleagues many times and find it very hit and miss. The bar is very well decorated with comfy sofas and chairs. A very relaxing hotel bar compared to most.

Was here over the June bank holiday weekend and had the Goats Cheese salad, which consisted of one piece of goats cheese, mounds of red onion and mixed lettuce soaked in balsamic dressing. It has to be the worst Goats cheese salad I have ever had.

I cant understand how the food can be so inconsistent. Service is always good, although the staff could do with smile.

Visited May 2014
Ireland
“Michelin food at budget price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

Recently availed of the wine and dine evening dinner offer running. 49 euro for two courses for two people plus a bottle of house wine.

Choice of two whites and two reds.White wine was ok. A Sav and a chardonnay. Would like if a pinot was offered!!

Starters were amazing. Wife had a terrine which was particularly good.

I had monkfish for main course and it was one of the best dishes I have ever had. Literally I have dreamed about it since.

Looking forward to next trip to Galway already!

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

My fiancé and I happened to book a room at the Pillo Hotel on a whim whilst traveling through Galway. After a long drive we couldn't be bothered to go out and figured we'd just eat at the hotel and we're glad we did!!
There was an option, between 6pm and 7:30pm, for 2 course meal for 2 people including a bottle of wine for 49Euro. My fiancé and I decided to split an appetizer and a dessert. We started with the chicken terrine which was more than enough for two for a starter! My fiancé had the lamb with mint mash and mixed veg. It was the most tender lamb I have ever eaten and the gravy was divine! I chose the chicken dinner with creamy mash, pureed squash, cranberries (fresh, on the vine!) and mixed veg. The chicken was moist and all the flavors blended wonderfully, nothing was over powering.
The portions are quite large!
We finished with the chocolate dessert, it came with a mint chocolate ice cream.
The server was very patient and attentive.
I HIGHLY recommend giving this place a go!

Galway, Ireland
“Good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

I have been a regular here for Sunday lunch. The food is good, and there is free underground parking for customers.

• Visited October 2013