“Good option, could be better” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Connacht Hotel

You added The Connacht Hotel to your Saves list
The Connacht Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Renmore, Dublin Road | Galway City East, Galway, Ireland (Formerly Carlton Hotel Galway City)   |
Offers & Announcements
Special Tripadvisor Rate
Ranked #23 of 56 Hotels in Galway
Dublin, Ireland.
“Good option, could be better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

There are many positives about this hotel. Comfortable, clean and spacious rooms. Plenty of parking and close to the city. Excellent wifi. Swimming pool and leisure facilities. It is ideal for families but also for anyone visting Galway for work or business purposes. Breakfast was disappointing as it is fully self service and a lot of the cooked food didn't look very appetising. It would be nice to be served tea and toast at least. Overall, I would recommend this hotel but it could improve.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Portarlington, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

Ive stayed in these premises while it was under days management carlton management and now connaught management... I have returned so often because I love the easy going atmoshere the food is amazing and its great value for money.
I stayed the wkend of 7th feb 2014 and if it had been my first time staying I would never EVER return again.
There was a less than desirable crowd in the hotel. The guards were called security called. It was a nightmare for all the other guests.
New policy is you pay as you check in and let me assure you i know understand, once they have your money/ card details they certainly dont care how disruptive your weekend was there already paid and there is not a chance of a refund.
You pay for a relaxing night away and thats what should be provided. its a service you will not receive in the connaught hotel.
The crowd drank in town so the hotel bar didnt receive their money yet the other hotel guests some with children spent the day/ afternoon relaxing in the bar spending money and when this crowd arrived back into hotel these people were forced to their rooms while the drunken rowdys took over. It was atrocious, if this is the type of clientiele the connaught hotel is catering for I for one will not be back.

Room Tip: ask if there is a crowd/ event on in hotel at time of booking.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Louise P, Guest Relations Manager at The Connacht Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am very sorry that your last visit to us was so unsatisfactory and I sincerely apologise for this. I was on duty myself during the weekend and I would have gladly spoken with you in person either during your stay or prior to your departure at checkout regarding your feedback.

If you wish to contact me directly regarding your feedback I would be delighted to address your complaint with you in person. Please contact me on my e-mail lpettit@theconnacht.ie.

Kindest regards,

Louise Pettit
Guest Relations Manager
Ballinasloe, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

My wife and I stayed in the Connacht, and enjoyed everything about the place. The food was excellent, and later we sojourned to the bar where there was an excellent band, with a great crowd and a fine atmosphere. There was a barman shaking cocktails and he was nothing short of brilliant. We will be back.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Letterkenny, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Stayed in this hotel twice with our young family. It caters very well for families with a leisure centre and kids club. It is a huge hotel and they seem to do a good job of keeping young singles/ hens etc away from the family rooms. They were very busy during our last stay and our dining experience in the bar was a bit of a disaster, there were very long delays but to add to this our order seemed to go awol as people who ordered after us were getting served before us! This was a nuisance with young children in tow. However we were not charged for the meal in the end. I would stay here again, but would prefer to dine in the city. We got taxis in & out to city centre as it is a bit of a walk.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Co. Westmeath
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Our second time staying here (once when it was a days hotel) . The check was fast and friendly, the room lovely - though personally my eyesight is poor so the lighting was not strong enough, the hotel a bit too warm though. The weekend we staye dth Galway Rally was on so the hotel was packed with alot of young people so a good athmosphere but made it noisy and crowded - I think it was just cos the crowd that one time though. Food was great and majority of staff lovely, though the bar staff had alot of people doing very little and when I asked to be served I was told they were busy - not the case as I was at the front of 4 people waiting to be served 10 mins! However... all staff were friendly and helpful. There was a party on the floor above us on the first night we rang reception cos we have small children and it was sorted in a about 15 mins. The Leisure facilities are great, we spent about 2 hrs a day in the hotel pool with all 3 kids... just lovely. The hotel is convient and close to walk to town but the bus stop is just at the gate and loads of Taxi too... Overall a lovely place just a busy weekend in Galway with events,

Room Tip: Ask to be in a quiet part with famalies
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Limerick, Limerick, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

Got an email from Living Social about a voucher for €99 for two nights stay for two people, breakfast each morning, free main course each on one evening and late 2pm check out, bought the voucher and checked in the next day :) Our stay was brilliant, all staff are friendly, rooms are clean and the bed was soooo comfy :) On arrival we got room 1033, we had a problem with the window and the room was very cold so my boyfriend went to reception who was so professional and friendly, he changed our room straight away. Breakfast was disappointing, its a buffet served from 7.30 till 11, on our first morning we went down at 10.30, the food was dry and all the bread was hard so we went down after 9 on our last morning thinking it would make a difference but it didn't, nothing tasted nice. If staying in this hotel again we will skip breakfast :( On our first night we went to the bar for some drinks, at 2 minutes gone 9.30 I asked if I could order a sandwich as everyone was eating and the food looked delicious, lady serving said no as food stops at 9.30 but we could get it for room service, instead we went to reception where you can get the names of each Take Away that deliver to the hotel, got Jack Jordan's it was lovely. We decided to have our free main course on the second night in the hotel and that was YUMMY :) We had dessert and that was also YUMMY :) Food in the hotel bar is worth a try, it wont disappoint :) Hope to return to this hotel soon x

Room Tip: Our room was 1037, it was on the ground floor, very quiet and bed was so comfy
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Kenmare, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

we decided to take a few day break and came across the hotel online and loved the look of it so we booked for 3 nites well I must say it was nice from the outside but inside was even nicer the bar is huge lots of setting and tables for ur meal if ur having bar food which I mite add was simply wonderful the rooms were nice comfortable bed and everything u needed the pool was good nice enuf size and the gym well everything u could ask for. It was only 5 min drive from the centre of galway and salthill beach was close by also. best hotel we stayed in cant wait to go back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Connacht Hotel? Share your experiences!