“A waste of money....unhelpful staff” 1 of 5 stars

You added Imperial Hotel Galway to your Saves list
Imperial Hotel Galway
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Eyre Square | Galway City, Galway, Ireland   |
Ranked #31 of 56 Hotels in Galway
“A waste of money....unhelpful staff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Stayed here for one night and was extremely disappointed by the service and staff. We arrived late and were in a rush to get back out of the room as we had dinner reservations. Upon arrival the receptionist 'preauthorised' my card. There were two of us sharing the room and we asked could we halve the price of the room and pay on checkout. Apparently that was no problem. When we walked into our room there was a horrific smell of sewerage. I have never in my life smelled something so foul!!!!! we tried to ring reception but couldn't get through. On our third attempt we got through. They changed our room but we were now late for dinner. We were then woken at 6am by screaming, door slamming teenagers in the room next to us. This went on for a long time. When we informed reception the next morning it was made out that it was our fault for not ringing the night porter. We were half asleep and didnt feel up for ringing down numerous times before getting an answer. To top it all off, when i checked my online banking the next day I discovered that i had been charged for the full price of the room and the half price of the room also. So she had obviously made a transaction initially and didnt just 'preauthorise' the card. I rang up to ask to be refunded. I did not receive an apology. It was also made out that it was my own fault as i did not have the receipts to hand. I still have not been refunded yet. I have also discovered that a friend of mine who was part of our party and checked in the night before got charged twice for the room also. So this was not a once off mistake. €109 for a room for one night is highly overpriced for an old hotel with inattentive staff. I would have received better service staying in one of the hostels and it would have been a LOT cheaper and probably a more enjoyable stay.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
imperialhotelgalway, Manager at Imperial Hotel Galway, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Dear Laragh M

Thank you for your review sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I know one of our team was in contact with you to sort out the issues.

Thanks again

John Gannon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Athlone, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

stayed here on new years eve ,was checked in very fast delighted cos i was doubled parked outside my bad, hotel is hugh stayed in room 237 taught id never get there room was lovely bed is massive the room was very warm suits me cos im always cold you ring reception and they turn it down didnt tell hubby as hed have it like a fridge, shower grand great pressure well taught out layout , there is no carparking at hotel but they do a deal in city carpark for 10e but you have to get ticket stamped at hotel i didnt read leaflet right cost me 20e ,Breakfast room only continental but have everyting you need proper coffee machine doing latte capuchino me happy juice machine with apple cranberry and orange cold meats,pastrys cereals only downside my hubby needs a fry after a night out which is a fiver extra but is served in restaurant downstairs so no breakfast together on da first day of year ahh finally staff were lovely everyone we meet said hello and lets face it if i had to work on both of these days i wouldnt be very sociable top marks will stay again very soon

Room Tip: right beside supermacs chipper so get room away from front if you have children it will be noisy at...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear 187 Cassie

Thank you for your review sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Good to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you will return.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

I stayed here recently and had a very comfortable stay, the hotel surpassed my expectations. The room was warm and comfortable. Superb location in Galway City, walking distance to shops, pubs and restaurants. However, I was more than happy to eat in the restaurant and have my pint in the residents bar. Had a very pleasant and friendly waitress, as well, the young Canadian on the front desk was more than helpful in answering my questions. The night porter was also a gent. I was expecting things to get noisy come night time but this was not the case, had a great nights sleep. Would love to return and make more of the charming city of Galway, highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
imperialhotelgalway, Manager at Imperial Hotel Galway, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Dear Smity_Califorina

Thank you for writing a review. It was a delight to read and good to know that we surpassed your expectations. We do have a great location right on Eyre Square in the heart of Galway City or Charming Galway City as you call it. I have to say that I would agree with you there. Glad you enjoyed your food in the restaurant and some drinks and that you felt you could talk and ask questions to our staff who love to give information.

Thanks again for taking the time to write a review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Imperial Hotel in 2014.

Best regards and Happy new year
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

I stayed in this hotel last night! When I arrived I couldn't believe my luck when it came to the location as it couldn't be more central! Went to the room then and would say that this was only ok. Kettle was broken, towels were tiny and I could hear every bit of noise from the next room!
Massive downside was the staff! As it was the weekend before Christmas town was packed and so I decided to come back to utilize the residents bar! I stood patiently at this for 10-15 minutes only to be completely ignored by a barman whose only interest was chatting up two girls at the end of the bar! I could see a couple standing there also irritated and shortly after they gave up on him doing his job so did I! Next morning then cleaners were hoovering outside my door very early for a Sunday!
If you are looking for a location hotel in Galway then this is perfect, if you want comfort or to be treated like a valued paying customer go elsewhere!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Dear Derek M

Thank you for your review. I was sorry to read about your experience in the residents bar. I have spoken to all of the bar staff about how important our customers are to us all. I hope you will accept this apology for the bad service you received as it is not normal practice of the Imperial Hotel.
Thank you again for taking the time to write a review and can I wish you and yours a Happy New Year.
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night in this hotel. The location is great and the rooms are very good value for money. They are warm and comfortable and spacious. The one downside to my experience at the hotel was the barman working in the hotel bar that evening, late on a Saturday night. We had called in for one or two after a dinner in the city and after standing at the bar for about ten minutes while watching the barman blatantly ignore us and chat up two women we decided to give up and left the bar. Extremely unprofessional, poor service. Hotel itself is fine and would stay again but the experience in the bar was unsatisfactory and completely unprofessional and rude.

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Ianey85

Thank you for your review. I was glad to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Imperial Hotel. I have spoken to all bar staff about how important our customers are to the hotel. I do hope that you accept this apology for any inconvenience this may have caused you and your group.

Thank you again for taking the time to write a review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Imperial Hotel in 2014
Tulla, Co. Clare
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

I stayed in the Imperial Hotel Galway on Dec 7th and was very disappointed - on arrival the room was cold I had to ring reception 3 times before the heat came on, I then decided to have a shower to warm up and to my disappointment the fixed soap dispenser in the shower was empty. I did email the hotel with my disappointment and to date I never heard back from them. It cost me 99 euro B&B which is difficult enough for me to gather and I really would expect to be treated with a little comfort.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Wildrose 21
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us and to date I have not being able to find your email. We did have a hot water problem on the evening of the 7th December which we called in the plumbers who assured me that the problem had being fixed. I do apologise for any discomfort this may have caused.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

Just stayed for 1 night and thumbs up for friendly staff, nice breakfast and super location, ideal for shoppers ( to deposit bags during the day! ) and beside christmas markets and close to all restaurants and bars. Breakfast that included is continental is perfect with fruit,cereals, bagels, cold meats,eggs...
No the rooms arent brill and its a little old and could do with refurbishnent to bring everything to date. ..but its perfect for galway as there is so much to see and do very little time for hotel!!

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Bedqueen

Thank you for your review delighted to read that you give the hotel the thumbs up. I would have to agree with you we have a great location right on Eyre Square in the heart of Galway City.

Thanks again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Imperial Hotel in 2014.

Galway City

Been to Imperial Hotel Galway? Share your experiences!