“Modern, clean, tidy, central (with all that it means)” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Barnacles Hostel Galway

You added Barnacles Hostel Galway to your Saves list
Barnacles Hostel Galway
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Quay Street House, 10 Quay Street | The Latin Quarter, Galway, Ireland (Formerly Barnacles Quay Street House)   |
Ranked #13 of 42 Specialty Lodging in Galway
“Modern, clean, tidy, central (with all that it means)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I booked a bed in the shared 12 bunk beds dorm, I found the staff at the reception extremely friendly, proactive and helpful, they let me drop my bag an hour before check-in time so I could enjoy the city. Overall the place is modern, guests get a swipe card key which gives access to the rooms. I was sharing room 200 with other people in their twenties, the room is spacious, has two showers and a toilet with mirror. Bed linen were decently clean and beds had iron wire boxes beneath to store people's belongings. Attic windows made for extra light. I found the free breakfast a tad disappointing, the hostel provides bread, butter and jam, but the coffee machine was out of service, so I had to resort to a peppermint tea — the staff girl brought black tea bags a few minutes after I had already had my tea. I should've asked what the breakfast would include, as I'd have happily bought and had a couple of scrambled eggs as well. In short a pricey hostel but with all the convenience of being on quay street, in the middle of the craic of this awesome little gem of the west. A place to come back to.

Room Tip: Choose rooms at the back of the building cause the ones on the front are on the most crowded street...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Antwerp
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Where do I start?
We had booked a 3 night stay at the Barnacles Hostel in Galway during our trip in Ireland. The location of the hostel is superb. You're right in the city center with loads of pubs, restaurants and shops nearby. And that's the one positive thing I've got to say about it, really.

We had booked a twin private room. We got a tiny room with a tiny bathroom.
There was mold on the walls in the bedroom... they had opened a window and turned on the heating, but that didn't make the mold go away of course..
Also, while I'm willing to believe the sheets were washed, they still had stains on one of the beds... it was really quite disgusting.
We reckoned it was a cheap hostel and we didn't want to complain, so we made due and covered the sheets up with towels (that luckily were clean.)
The bathroom as I mentioned was tiny. The shower even more so. You could barely move. Also, the toilet didn't flush properly...

During our stay, one of the electricity plugs got broken. We mentioned it twice to 2 different people at the reception. Both promised it would be fixed.
It wasn't during our stay, and I imagine it still isn't.

Overall, it wasn't the best stay at a hostel I've ever had, and I was happy to return to the Generator Hostel in Dublin...

Room Tip: just don't.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I stayed here for a night with three friends and upon arrival the hostel was situated right in the centre of town, around all the pubs, restaurants and shops. We needed to park our car at a nearby parking station (only few blocks away and they subsidise your parking).

Once we got to the room it was what I expected for the price, so no complaints there. However the shower was tiny. So tiny infact that I couldn't shower at all (I'm of a Rugby player build so there are smaller ppl but there's also a lot bigger ppl than me).

That night when we were looking to cook dinner, only one of the eight hot plates worked enough to cook our food. As you'd expect there was a very very long wait to have use of this one hot plate. The microwave also did not work which was disappointing, as for a hostel to say they have cooking facilities, I expected them to be in working order to cook dinner in a timely manner. I told the young lady on reception about the kitchen problems, but obviously on a Saturday Night there wasn't much she could do, she was very apologetic and friendly about it though.

At night the hostel was a tad noisy which was to be expected given the location to the pubs and the hostel can't really control inconsiderate guests. For breakfast they will provide it for you, but if you're after more than toast, juice and hot drinks, you'll need to go elsewhere for it.

I was a little disappointed with the hostel overall and I personally would look elsewhere if I stayed in Galway again. However if you're after a prime location and don't mind the small problems I mentioned above, this could be a good place for you to stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

This place was ok to put your head down after a hard night out, not as sociable as other hostels I've stayed at, wifi didnt work in room, had to keep pressing button for shower and it was warm not hot room is tiny. Staff were excellent. Good key locking system and excellent location.

• Stayed March 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

I got there hungover and the staff were super friendly and helpful. The hostel is close to everything u needed and the staff there will help u find the local hot spots. The hostel it self was very clean and the rooms were very nice. Only short comings was the breakfast. That being said I would stay were if I was ever to come back to galway

• Stayed March 2013
Lidija R, Business Development at Barnacles Hostel Galway, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Hi Hansolo86

Thank you for taking time and leaving this lovely review. Staff is delighted to hear you praised them!

You are right, we are located in the heart of Galway, and everything is only a minute walk away.
We are changing our breakfast offering at the moment, but feel free to get in touch with me if you have any suggestions. We would always be curious about different ways to improve our offer.

Hopefully we will see you very soon, either back in Galway or in our sister property Barnacles Temple Bar (voted the best hostel in Ireland)

Lidija @ Barnacles Crew
Alkmaar, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Last week I spent three nights in this hostel. The first two nights I stayed in a 4 bed dorm. Came in really late and left early. Didn't spend much time in the hostel. The staff was very friendly and had some great tips on which pubs to go to ;) The beds were fine. The shower took a little getting used to because you have to press a button like every minute. But hey, if that's all.
My last night in Galway I returned to this hostel because I did really like it. I stayed in a 12 bed dorm this time. There's a lot more space in those dorms and you pay less. So for next time, I'll know where I'll be staying :)
Kitchen opened at 7am. Just in time for me to enjoy breakfast before going back home. A very clean, large kitchen and everything you need is there. The atmosphere in the whole hostel is great and people are friendly and helpful. Absolutely great place to stay!!
Only downside I could find was the light in the rooms. Would love to have seen bed lights instead of one big one that lit the entire room. Was afraid to wake everyone.

Room Tip: The rooms on the front are opposite of the pub so expect some noise there. The 12 bed dorm I stayed...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Lidija R, Business Development at Barnacles Hostel Galway, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Hi IrisWildeboer

Thank you very much for lovely review, we are delighted to hear you had a great time staying with us!

We know not all rooms offer individual lights, and are actually doing upgrade of the facilities at the moment to make sure all rooms will have this! Next time you stay with us, you will be able to see our upgraded rooms :)

Thank you very much for letting us know how to improve your experience, it really means a lot to us!

Hope to see you again soon (btw, Galway is amazing in summer)!

Lidija @ Barnacles crew
Varazdin, Varazdinska, Croatia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We stayed in a 8 bed dorm. The room was very big and nice. Everything was clean. We were very satisfied with accommodation in this hostel and would recommend it to everyone. Staff was helpful and friendly. Hostel is in the center of Galway and close to bus station.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Barnacles Hostel Galway? Share your experiences!