“not very clean...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Barnacles Hostel Galway

You added Barnacles Hostel Galway to your Saves list
Barnacles Hostel Galway
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Quay Street House, 10 Quay Street | The Latin Quarter, Galway, Ireland (Formerly Barnacles Quay Street House)   |
Ranked #11 of 43 Specialty Lodging in Galway
Antwerp
“not very clean...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Where do I start?
We had booked a 3 night stay at the Barnacles Hostel in Galway during our trip in Ireland. The location of the hostel is superb. You're right in the city center with loads of pubs, restaurants and shops nearby. And that's the one positive thing I've got to say about it, really.

We had booked a twin private room. We got a tiny room with a tiny bathroom.
There was mold on the walls in the bedroom... they had opened a window and turned on the heating, but that didn't make the mold go away of course..
Also, while I'm willing to believe the sheets were washed, they still had stains on one of the beds... it was really quite disgusting.
We reckoned it was a cheap hostel and we didn't want to complain, so we made due and covered the sheets up with towels (that luckily were clean.)
The bathroom as I mentioned was tiny. The shower even more so. You could barely move. Also, the toilet didn't flush properly...

During our stay, one of the electricity plugs got broken. We mentioned it twice to 2 different people at the reception. Both promised it would be fixed.
It wasn't during our stay, and I imagine it still isn't.

Overall, it wasn't the best stay at a hostel I've ever had, and I was happy to return to the Generator Hostel in Dublin...

Room Tip: just don't.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I stayed here for a night with three friends and upon arrival the hostel was situated right in the centre of town, around all the pubs, restaurants and shops. We needed to park our car at a nearby parking station (only few blocks away and they subsidise your parking).

Once we got to the room it was what I expected for the price, so no complaints there. However the shower was tiny. So tiny infact that I couldn't shower at all (I'm of a Rugby player build so there are smaller ppl but there's also a lot bigger ppl than me).

That night when we were looking to cook dinner, only one of the eight hot plates worked enough to cook our food. As you'd expect there was a very very long wait to have use of this one hot plate. The microwave also did not work which was disappointing, as for a hostel to say they have cooking facilities, I expected them to be in working order to cook dinner in a timely manner. I told the young lady on reception about the kitchen problems, but obviously on a Saturday Night there wasn't much she could do, she was very apologetic and friendly about it though.

At night the hostel was a tad noisy which was to be expected given the location to the pubs and the hostel can't really control inconsiderate guests. For breakfast they will provide it for you, but if you're after more than toast, juice and hot drinks, you'll need to go elsewhere for it.

I was a little disappointed with the hostel overall and I personally would look elsewhere if I stayed in Galway again. However if you're after a prime location and don't mind the small problems I mentioned above, this could be a good place for you to stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

This place was ok to put your head down after a hard night out, not as sociable as other hostels I've stayed at, wifi didnt work in room, had to keep pressing button for shower and it was warm not hot room is tiny. Staff were excellent. Good key locking system and excellent location.

• Stayed March 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

I got there hungover and the staff were super friendly and helpful. The hostel is close to everything u needed and the staff there will help u find the local hot spots. The hostel it self was very clean and the rooms were very nice. Only short comings was the breakfast. That being said I would stay were if I was ever to come back to galway

• Stayed March 2013
Lidija R, Business Development at Barnacles Hostel Galway, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Hi Hansolo86

Thank you for taking time and leaving this lovely review. Staff is delighted to hear you praised them!

You are right, we are located in the heart of Galway, and everything is only a minute walk away.
We are changing our breakfast offering at the moment, but feel free to get in touch with me if you have any suggestions. We would always be curious about different ways to improve our offer.

Hopefully we will see you very soon, either back in Galway or in our sister property Barnacles Temple Bar (voted the best hostel in Ireland)

Lidija @ Barnacles Crew
Alkmaar, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Last week I spent three nights in this hostel. The first two nights I stayed in a 4 bed dorm. Came in really late and left early. Didn't spend much time in the hostel. The staff was very friendly and had some great tips on which pubs to go to ;) The beds were fine. The shower took a little getting used to because you have to press a button like every minute. But hey, if that's all.
My last night in Galway I returned to this hostel because I did really like it. I stayed in a 12 bed dorm this time. There's a lot more space in those dorms and you pay less. So for next time, I'll know where I'll be staying :)
Kitchen opened at 7am. Just in time for me to enjoy breakfast before going back home. A very clean, large kitchen and everything you need is there. The atmosphere in the whole hostel is great and people are friendly and helpful. Absolutely great place to stay!!
Only downside I could find was the light in the rooms. Would love to have seen bed lights instead of one big one that lit the entire room. Was afraid to wake everyone.

Room Tip: The rooms on the front are opposite of the pub so expect some noise there. The 12 bed dorm I stayed...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Lidija R, Business Development at Barnacles Hostel Galway, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Hi IrisWildeboer

Thank you very much for lovely review, we are delighted to hear you had a great time staying with us!

We know not all rooms offer individual lights, and are actually doing upgrade of the facilities at the moment to make sure all rooms will have this! Next time you stay with us, you will be able to see our upgraded rooms :)

Thank you very much for letting us know how to improve your experience, it really means a lot to us!

Hope to see you again soon (btw, Galway is amazing in summer)!

Lidija @ Barnacles crew
Varazdin, Varazdinska, Croatia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We stayed in a 8 bed dorm. The room was very big and nice. Everything was clean. We were very satisfied with accommodation in this hostel and would recommend it to everyone. Staff was helpful and friendly. Hostel is in the center of Galway and close to bus station.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Booked a private room for 2 for 3 nights and left after the first. We booked a private room with private bathroom and really did not like it. It was noisy and people kept letting the fire alarm off throughout the night so didn't sleep. The room wasn't in a good condition and things were generally dirty.

We couldn't get hot water in the shower and complained twice - they said we shouldn't shower at peak times... so when are we supposed to shower?

It was good that they refunded us our other nights accom as we were out of there first thing the next morning!

I was so hyped to stay in a Barnacles Hostel as well - I'd heard so many good things - but I would never stay with them again or recommend them. Plus they have added me to their mailing list (without my consent) and there is no unsubscribe function!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Lidija R, Business Development at Barnacles Hostel Galway, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear g_to_the_bo,

Thank you for taking time and leaving your review. We are sorry you didn’t find our rooms suitable for you. As we are located in the heart of city centre, we sometimes get a bit of noise in some of the rooms. We do have double glazed windows to keep the noise minimal as well as ear plugs if you are a light sleeper. As you are staying in the middle of the entertainment district, some noise is to be expected. As we employ professional cleaning stuff, who are very thorough and take a great pride in their work, we are surprised that you found room to be dirty. We also don’t encourage people not to shower at certain times, which might have been misunderstanding of the issue. Finally, all of our emails have unsubscribe function at the bottom.

We care very much about people having a good time when staying with us here. We are sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. We would be delighted to have you staying with us again in the future in case you change your mind.

Lidija @ Barnacles Crew

Been to Barnacles Hostel Galway? Share your experiences!