“Great food, great service!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #55 of 356 Restaurants in Galway
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: The food is based on our terroir, the ensemble of natural influences that give a food a sense of place. In the west of Ireland we are surrounded by lush ancient woodland, bountiful shorelines, thriving farmlands all heaving with some of the best ingredients in Europe but unique to us. Aniar obeys the seasons and lets nature decide our menu.Recently returned from Noma, the Danish restaurant, voted the World’s Best Restaurant 2011, Enda McEvoy heads the kitchen. He works closely with local producers while also gathering wild herbs, plants and seaweeds each day from the woodlands and seashore around the area to produce a cuisine based around light clean flavours.Light sauces and stocks, properly reared animals (utilizing all of the animal), sustainably caught fish with an eye to the future of the fishing industry and evolving with the seasons using vegetables, herbs, fruits and berries, either from the wild or cultivated, all encompass the Aniar philosophy. The Chefs pickle and brine as much as is bountiful during the spring and summer to see the restaurant through the winter. Enda explains “we use modern culinary techniques to obtain the best out of the ingredients, while never losing sight of the integrity of the produce”.
Dublin, Ireland
“Great food, great service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Myself and my boyfriend had this booked as the highlight of our trip to Galway since hearing about its Michelin star back in October and we were not disappointed. We ate on a Wednesday and were able to pick our table as we got in before the busy period. We opted to skip the starter but received a delicious amuse bouche to begin and the very knowledgable sommelier helped us pick a lovely, relatively inexpensive wine from the list. I had the pork belly, which was absolutely incredible - not a huge dish but delicious. For dessert we shared the rose and beetroot parfait, which was quite sweet but not overpowering, and the goats cheese and pear with spruce which was delicious. To end, even though we skipped the coffee, we were served some homemade fudge, marshmallow and biscuits which were a perfect finish to the meal.

Overall, while on the slightly expensive side (mains were 30+) it was worth the price as the food is prepared in such a loving and flavoursome way. Even the simple side dish of Irish potatoes were incredible and the service was attentive but not fussy. One of the best meals I've ever had.

• Visited March 2013

Galway, Ireland
“Best meal I've ever eaten”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We went here in May last year, before they got the Michellin star. I was with my retired parents. My father would be a rather conservative and atypical Irish diner. I'm vegetarian and quite adventurous. My mother would be a meat lover with a great interest in desserts.
We all agree that it was the best meal we've ever had.
We ate three course of absolutely sublime food on a Tuesday evening. I have been attempting (and failing) to recreate their braised carrots and thyme water since.
Getting quite long descriptions of the food on getting it was a little jarring for my father but the master stroke of providing a large dish of potatoes alongside the refined dishes coddled him. We were free to ask as many questions as we liked. The drinks menu was also great.
Having eaten in other terroir restaurants, I must say that this place really rates. I'll go again as soon as practicable.

• Visited May 2012
Dublin, Ireland
“I don't know!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I was very much looking forward to dinner at Aniar - Michelin star and all! I went with a friend who likes good food and we decided on the Tasting Menu with wine (Euro 85 per head, which is a bit on the expensive side). First, the restaurant was lacking in the degree of luxury, I would associate with a top class restaurant - small tables with upright chairs, rather close to each other to my liking. I found the food to be lacking in nourishment - the pickled vegetables starter was a sight to behold but lacked any flavour. From recollection, we moved on to a salad with rare chicken hearts. I do not recall what the main course or dessert were, but again more emphasis was put on presentation than taste. I have to admit the wines were spectacular and were the highlight of the evening.

Based on my first experience, if asked for advice, I would recommend Artisan instead, for wonderful food, with friendly service, in a place with 10 times more atmosphere and is a lot cheaper.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

This was our second visit and again we've given five stars. It was perfect-excellent food and fantastic service. The highlight was the food, we loved every course. It has to be tried to be appreciated-it is that good. The service is fantastic too, the staff couldn't do enough for us, and we were very well looked after. Definitely five stars!

Mayo,Ireland
“Deservedly a Michelin Star winner!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

What this little restaurant lacks in style or plush decor it more than makes up for with the exquisite food. The staff were very friendly and welcoming. It is surprisingly a calm little oasis in the busy city of Galway. It is advisable to book this well in advance.

• Visited December 2012