“great food great value” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Galway, Ireland
“great food great value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

went there for a birthday treat and everyone enjoyed their meal
excellent colourfull plate of salad as a side on some mains

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Athlone, Ireland
“Champagne for the price of lemonade”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

Allison our friendly waitress was well informed on the menu and helped us with our choice, Dining out for me is more of a treat when the food is different. High Cafe does chicken with texture and flavour I never had before, the tagine was amazing as indeed the chicken skewer.
Two mains two extra sides and tea for one €29.30 on a bank holiday weekend represents terrific value. Doorway between two pubs with a sharp stairs, clean restrooms, good food with great choice that will not break the bank, I will be back.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Neuchâtel
“Large portions!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

We came here with a friend who likes this place. We also enjoyed! We ordered falafels and garlic cheese bread. The waitress appeared to have some difficulty understanding what we wished! But a short moment later, here were our dishes, on a wood serving board! It was good and a nice-size portion, even the starter size! (There is not much difference between starter and main size!)

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Galway
“Regular Galway reviewer - Won't be back here.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

I eat out regularly in Galway - I reviewed this place last Summer and I thought it was average at best. I must say I'm shocked at the amount of positive reviews High Cafe gets.

I went back again last month, this time with a group. The service was friendly but was overstaffed. Food was a little slow coming but not to worry. Food, dreadful. The ravine was watery and tasteless. The lamb was tough. The pizza was really poor. Too many toppings, two of which weren't on he menu, I asked for salami and pepperoni but only got one meat and when I said this to the waitress she replied saying they are very similar.

Anyway no one thought much of the food.

It's not expensive and you can bring your own drink, these and it's location are the only positives. If it wasn't so centrally located it would struggle to survive. I'd love to see Gordon Ramsey analyse this joint...he'd rip it apart.

If you're a foodie, there's a heap of better restaurants in Galway.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Galway, Ireland
“fab food for great value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

lovely fresh food, generous portions and great price. nice cosy atmosphere in there too, great for meeting groups of friends

• Visited March 2014