“Great young irish musicians” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #12 of 73 Activities in Galway
Type: Performances
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Galway, Ireland
4 attraction reviews
“Great young irish musicians”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

There should be more people listen to this events. Great event!

Visited August 2011

Galway, Ireland
“A captivating experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

Sean Nós and the St. Nicholas Church are a match made in heaven - even for atheists ;-).
I have never left a church so enchanted.

Visited July 2011
Co.Clare
“Authentic Irish Music, Phenomenal Venue, 8pm-9.30pm Perfect Length!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

I attended The Begley Family playing Tunes in the Church with husband & 2 children, 11yrs & 13 yrs. Wed. 13th July.
Arts Festival on, 1000's out on the streets - this gig was not in the Arts Festival Programme which is a great pity for all those who missed it.
St.Nicholas' Church is a phenomenal venue for an acoustic gig - just metres from the throngs watching dodgy street performers on Shop St. & Quay St.! The architecture & history of the church is breathtaking. Large comfortable chairs - an oasis of calm from the madding crowd!
Gig started right on time.
The Begleys - Cormac on various concertinas, Breanndáin on various accordians & singing & Clíodhna on fiddle, viola & dancing - incredible multi talented musicians, beautiful singing & sean nós dancing - knitted together with relevant interesting snippets.
8pm -9.30pm - just the right length for a summer show - with a 10minute interval - perfect to appreciate the details of the church. Children were enthralled by the variety, the acoustics & the building.
The Begley family will be playing again on Fri 15th July - with 2 extra family members so even more variety & value for money. These gigs are on every Mon, Wed & Fri through the summer so if you miss The Begleys you might catch other equally talented musicians.
Anyone hoping to hear authentic Irish music should definitely not miss this one - as for the venue - it's second to none!!
Congratulations & thankyou for a lovely summer memory. I hope you are packed out for the season - you deserve to be!!!

Visited July 2011
Stirling, United Kingdom
“The highlight of my trip to Galway!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

My family and I travelled through Galway last week for a 2 night stay and to our surprise there was a festival on in the city that featured musicians from Stirling in Scotland where we are from! We attended a Monday night concert at St. Nicholas' church that had talented family band playing there. There were three fiddle players, two flute players and a singer. It was amazing! My husband and I are regular church goers and we both play instruments so we are evry familiar with church acoustic. The acoustic in this church are second to none. We were also impressed by the natural approach to the the concert and both felt we made a special connection with the performers. I will reccommend this to my family and friends.

Visited June 2011
Lawrence, Kansas
“My favorite music experience in Ireland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

I went last year with my bride and this year with a group of students from the US. On both occasions it was fantastic. The acoustics are unbelievable and the artists are top notch. Both times there was acapella vocal numbers that were fabulous. The musicians are top shelf, the venue unbeatable. Will go every time I am in Ireland. The group of college students agreed they had never seen anything like it.

Visited June 2011