“Christmas at the Galway Bay Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
€69 (EUR)
Ranked #1 of 56 Hotels in Galway
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Christmas at the Galway Bay Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2010

My wife and I have just returned from the hotel after a six day Christmas break our fourth year The standard and care is excellent food is delicious and plentiful, staff are well trained and friendly without being too familiar. The organization of the Christmas festivities was excellent with events and music . This is borne out by the number of returnees who have become our friends over the years. I cannot recommend this enough However book well in advance it is very popular.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
danmurph, General Manager at Galway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2011
Dear ‘Colinsmith70’,
Thank you most sincerely for returning to the Galway Bay Hotel again for this Christmas period. I am delighted that on each occasion you have really enjoyed your visit here and that you cannot recommend us highly enough. I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back in person at some stage in the future.
Dan Murphy.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
Galway, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2010

Like many we lost our home water supply over the Christmas period. We are local people and found the Galway Bay to be very accommodating. They let us use the bathing facilities in one of their rooms at a day time rate. The staff were very understanding and treated us like guests rather than an inconvenience. Well done to the Galway Bay. It was so pleasing to pay a reasonable rate and not be exploited for something that was already a major inconvenience. Nice to see that the community spirit of this hotel still exists.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Dear ‘Mattparker74’
Thank you most sincerely for this super review. We are always delighted to be able to help any of our neighbours’ in any way when difficult circumstances arise; such as the recent adverse weather conditions. Hopefully we will get the opportunity to say hello in person at some stage in the future.
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2010

I recently stayed in Galway Bay hotel with my husband. We were expecting a 4 star hotel but this hotel is completely overrated at 4 star standards and way over priced. We paid 378 for 2 nights accomodation and one dinner staying in a superior room.
First impressions weren't great. The hotel decor is completely dated. Reception staff were very friendly and informative. We expected our superior room to be nice but not worth any extra money for. Similarly room decor dated and bathroom small. On a positive the view was great from front of the hotel and the bed was comfortable. The hotel could save a little on the energy bill the heating was up at 22 degrees way too hot.
We had some pre dinner drinks in the bar to start guinness was good.
We had dinner on the Friday night in the hotel. This wasn't a great experience but thankfully we didn't allow it to ruin our holiday vibe. We were sat at a table with food on the carpeted floor. Beside us a table which remained uncleared of dirty dishes for at least an hour of us dining there. Service was poor but to be honest it looked like there wasn't enough staff to cater for all. The positive the food was nice good choice very tourist oriented. Wine selection not brilliant what you'd get in the supermarket or local pub. The decor in the dining room needs updating. The breakfast bar and the partitions make you feel like you are back in the 80s similarly the potted plants. Lighting in the room doesn't add any atmosphere and the statue heads.
Breakfast on the saturday morning was more of the same. We waited 20 minutes for our tea and toast. It was all a bit heat and miss. We asked for tea twice to get it. There was no explanation as to what the system was at the breakfast. Actual cooked breakfast was average. Selection of fruit was good. Breakfast on the Sunday morning was better with an introduction to the system and showing us to our table. But again the tea and toast was a challenge. A well known football manager also seemed to be having similar trouble at his table.
I didn't bother using the gym/pool facilities here my husband used the gym which he was happy with the facilities.
Saturday night there was plenty of loud music with guests to an event being brought in the back door and searched on the way in we guessed it was a debs or grad ball. Thankfully loud music didn't go on until late.
We were on foot in and out of the hotel to Galway pedestrian and main gate access to the hotel wasn't the safest.
All in all I would not recommend this to my friends or family. I'm not sure how this hotel has won recent awards. It needs to go back to basic customer service skills with waiting staff.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear ‘Maximiser’,
Thank you for choosing the Galway Bay Hotel for your recent visit to Galway. Needless to say, I am very disappointed to learn of the issues you encountered during your stay here. May I apologise most sincerely, and I would like to assure you that this is definitely not the normal standard of service we strive to offer any guest of the Galway Bay Hotel. All on the Galway Bay team would also like to pass on their apology. I am particularly disappointed as we do have stringent policies and procedures in place to ensure that these are not issues at any time for any guest. When it comes to costumer service we have a structured, indepth, in house training program in place where by every team member partakes in a daily training session in each hotel department. This is managed by the respective department head and overseen by my Human Resource Manager. This training program is called ‘Exceeding Expectations’ and obviously on this occasion we failed. Regarding the hotel décor; we are a twelve year old hotel, with a classical look and feel. We have updated/refurbished the hotel on two occasions within these twelve years. I receive numerous pieces of guest feedback weekly (up to 250 comments) from guests, which I upload on to my guest feedback system. The feedback I receive regarding the décor is consistently positive and the amount of guests who have returned to the Galway Bay Hotel because of its classical look and feel is overwhelming. I would welcome the opportunity to drop you a line in person. Please do not hesitate to contact me at dmurphy@galwaybayhotel.com
cork
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2010

I returned to Galway again this year in November because we had such a good time earlier in the year. The purpose of this visit was to do some Christmas shopping and visit the Galway Christmas markets ( which were well worth a visit. ) My 2 year old at the moment cant sit still for 2 minutes . Have to say the hotel was completely cool with this.The staff were exceptional. Not one dissapproving stare. In the hotel as well as the main resteraunt there is a more casual bistro/cafe which was perfect for us to eat in and the kids were welcome. This cafe had resteraunt standard food in a more relaxed atmosphere perfect for us.

As I was checking out somebaody else was checking in with a voucher I was jealous. Defo great Xmas present for somebody.

Cant wait to go back again. Spring hopefully. Again no complaints

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Dear ‘CorkMaryCork’,
Thank you for your super review following on from your recent stay here in the Galway bay Hotel. As a team, we are delighted that you enjoyed your visit and we really appreciate you taking the time to post this review. It is our pleasure to have you with us as a repeat guest and we look forward to welcoming you back at some stage in the future.
Kindest Regards,
Kerry
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2010

The Galway Bay feels like a very good 3-star but you could be left disappointed if you are expecting a true 4-star experience. The hotel is nice but a little dated. Service was 4-star however.

The location is good across the road from Salthill promenade overlooking the bay. The city centre is over a half an hour walk but there is a regular bus service costing €1.60. A taxi costs €7-€8.

This is a good hotel for families with children greeted with a smile and not a frown as can be the case with other 4-star hotels.

The pool is small and the changing rooms tiny but the water temperature was nice and warm and the kids really enjoyed it.

We had room service for dinner and all (adults & children) enjoyed the food.

I would have no problem staying again for a family break if we got a good deal. However, I would choose elsewhere for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Dear ‘DeclanKerry’,
Thank you very much for choosing the Galway Bay Hotel when visiting Galway Recently. I am delighted that you, and indeed your family enjoyed your stay with us. I am very happy to hear that your children were greeted with a smile and that you all enjoyed food when ordered. Also, I am delighted that you would have no problem staying in the future with you family. I must point out that we are a four star hotel operating at the higher end of the four star market. In fact, on Failte Ireland’s web site you will see that our grading % is one of the highest in the country at 90%.
Kindest Regards,
Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2010

The Galway Bay hotel is without doubt the nicest hotel you will ever stay in, the service is just second to none, the rooms are so comfortable, the food is so beautiful. We have been coming to this hotel for many many years and every time we check out we make a booking for another stay on a monthly/ 5 weekly basis. Overall this is a gorgeous hotel and cannot recommend it highly enough. The Management and staff look after us soon well.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
danmurph, General Manager at Galway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, December 8, 2010
Dear guest,
Thank you most sincerely for this super review. I have addressed your feedback with all team members and all have requested that I pass on a very sincere Galway Bay Hotel ‘Thank you’ to you as you have ‘made their day’. I am so lucky to have such a focused and passionate team when it comes to delivering to class service consistently. I receive approximately 250 comments weekly for guests of the hotel, by way of comment card, letter, word of mouth – on check out etc, and I have to say that the overwhelming majority are quite similar to your feedback. We all look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and please do not hesitate to drop me a line at dmurphy@galwaybayhotel.com if I can be of any assistance at any point.
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2010

We have stayed in Galway Bay Hotel several times through the past years and have always enjoyed vacationing there. This year was no exception.

Everyone on the staff were polite and extremely helpful, especially the front desk and the Lobster Pot managers and waittresses. The food was excellent, the hotel very clean, the beds,(especially the pillows) were very comfortable and the overall service was as good as it gets. I have recommended Galway Bay Hotel to friends and family and they all feel the same way that I do. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
danmurph, General Manager at Galway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2010
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for this very positive review of the Galway Bay Hotel. I am really pleased to see that you have really enjoyed your visits here down through the years. I have reviewed your comments with all on the team and all have requested that I pass on to you a very sincere thank you – you have made their day! Your comments are very similar to the numerous comments I receive daily from all guests. Thank you for recommending the Galway Bay Hotel to all of your family and friends. We look forward to welcoming you back at some stage in the future and if I can be of any assistance at any time please do not hesitate to drop a line at dmurphy@galwaybayhotel.com as I would welcome the opportunity to say hello in person at some stage during your next visit. Kindest regards, Dan Murphy.

Been to Galway Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!