“Birthday bonanza !” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 56 Hotels in Galway
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Birthday bonanza !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Myself and my friends have just returned from a 3 night stay at the Galway Bay Hotel, and I have to say, we were all impressed by the courteousness and helpfulness of pretty much every member of staff, both on reception, dining area and bar.

Ok, decor may be a little dated, but personally I liked that, as it reflects a warmth about the place, which other hotels can lack.

The rooms were great, lots of space and fabulous comfy beds. Bathrooms have bath and shower combo, and spacious vanity area for all ones bits and pieces.

It was busy during our stay, with wedding parties etc, but this did not deter our enjoyment, and I have never enjoyed such a lovely atmosphere amongst staff and guests alike.

Breakfasts were fine with plenty to choose from, and staff always on hand to top up the tea and coffee pots !

On our final evening we ordered 5 sirloin steaks with various trimmings and sauces, and despite a wait of some 60 mins or so, every one of us enjoyed a very well cooked and well presented plate of food ! Well done to the chefs !

All in all, we think the Galway Bay Hotel has got it spot on !! Well done and thank you :)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
danmurph, General Manager at Galway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear ‘Hudith57186402’,

Thank you sincerely for choosing to stay here in the Galway bay Hotel recently and thank you also for your very valued feedback. I am delighted that both your good self and your friends all enjoyed your stay here.

Your positive feedback is most encouraging and to say that all in the Galway Bay Hotel have got it spot on is very rewarding to all on the team. Your feedback regarding the courteous, helpful and friendly staff, the warmth throughout the hotel, the bedrooms and the atmosphere throughout the hotel is most encouraging and I will ensure that this will be passed on to all on the team.

I would welcome the opportunity to touch base with you and I would be delighted if you dropped a line at dmurphy@galwaybayhotel.com. Thank you again most sincerely and looking forward to welcoming you back at some stage in the future.

Kind regards,
Dan Murphy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
Meath
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Spent four days here over Easter and it was the best hotel break we've had in a while. The kids club was key as it was the first time our 7 and 9 year old actually looked forward to going to a club as the staff were young, enthuastic and very attentive when doing the activities. It also meant we got to eat dinner without interruption!
Food was pretty good overall, although service was slow at times, and you're right on the sea front so it's a lovely 15 min walk into Galway itself.

Room Tip: Get a sea view
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
danmurph, General Manager at Galway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you sincerely for choosing to stay here in the Galway Bay Hotel recently and thank you also for your feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I am thrilled to see that your children really enjoyed and looked forward to going to our Penguin Kids club each day and I am delighted that you were able to enjoy dinner as a result of this – being a parent myself I know how valuable this is! We are extremely lucky to have such a wonderful team of girls in the camp all who genuinely enjoy interacting with and having fun with children.

We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the Galway Bay Hotel again in the future.
Warm regards,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

I would personally consider this hotel very average comparing it to a best western or holiday inn, not a luxurious 4 star hotel.

Walking into the hotel the lobby was nice and the reception girls were courteous. We asked for two rooms next to each other and we got that which was great.

When we got to our rooms I was a little disappointed. Most reviews say the rooms are "just wonderful" but I have to strongly disagree. The room was an average hotel room! Very outdated. I understand wanting charm but that's not what this is. If you claim to be LUXURIOUS you don't have tv's from 1980, broken items in the room, cracks in the wall, stains on carpet/tile/furniture etc. I also read another reviewing saying the same thing about pre-paying. It's ridiculous. We tried putting the second room on our in-laws credit card for them and they wouldn't let us!! Our credit card had already been charged for the full amount forcing them to give us cash. Unacceptable.

I'm super picky about bathrooms in hotels being clean and I found some pieces of hair on the bathtub. The toilet paper roll holder was also broken. This completely turned me off. When crawling into bed I was just disappointed to see that there was a white sheet over the mattress pad but no sheet for under the comforter. When I untucked the comforter for some comfort the white sheet to lay on came untucked and we then realized it didn't even cover the end of the mattress, yuck! I truly hope these comforters are cleaned on a daily basis. Do I think this should be considered a luxurious hotel, absolutely not. If it was a 3 star that would make more sense.

We went to the bar for dinner because the restaurant we were told was completely booked. The food was ok, not bad not amazing. The staff was VERY unfriendly and not very helpful whatsoever. We stood at the front door while numerous waiters passed us clearly seeing we were unsure whether to sit ourselves or wait to be seated. When I said excuse me to one we were completely ignored. Our server was ok, she seemed busy. Another server delivered our food asking if we wanted anything else. We ordered another water and another beer... Never got either. Again the food was ok, DEFINITELY not worth 80 euro for 2 salads, a burger, and a soup that tasted like vegetable broth. Extremely overpriced for average food!!!!

Unfortunately, I will not recommend this hotel nor will I come back. From a woman who travels a lot and stays in many hotels, this was one of the greatest disappointments. I think if I went in with a different attitude other than the luxurious claim, I would have a different review.

• Stayed April 2013
danmurph, General Manager at Galway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear ‘TravelReview13’,

Thank you most sincerely for choosing to stay here in the Galway Bay Hotel recently and thank you for your feedback.

All on the team are terribly saddened to read your feedback. We would like to apologise to you most sincerely as you certainly have not experienced the true Galway Bay Hotel experience which we are renowned for. We receive approximately 250 pieces of guest feedback on a weekly basis, which we receive via guest comment card, letter, e-mail, on check out of the hotel, through the tripadvisor medium and by way of follow on calls to past hotel guests. The overwhelming majority being extremely positive regarding all aspects and areas of the hotel. I would welcome the opportunity to liaise with you in person and please feel free to contact me directly at dmurphy@galwaybayhotel.com.

Thank you again and I look forward to hopefully hearing from you.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The staff couldn't be nicer, rooms were so cosy and beds are so comfortable ! Central location and not too far away from anywhere. Beach and promenade are seconds away. Food was great, breakfasts were delicious!! Still talkin about them ! Can't wait to come back this year.

• Stayed May 2012
Dear ‘Kathmc148’,

Thank you for this wonderful feedback and thank you also, most sincerely for choosing to stay here in the Galway Bay Hotel recently. I am delighted that you had such a super time.

Your extremely positive feedback regarding all aspects of the hotel is most encouraging to all on the team. I have just reviewed your comment with the team in our daily morning meeting all are delighted with your feedback – you have made our day!

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed here for 4 days. Myself my wife and our 20 month old daughter. We have stayed here before and I have rated before but I would like to reiterate the brilliance of this well run hotel. Compliments again to the fantastic management and staff.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear ‘Danno-Cork’,

Thank you sincerely for returning to the Galway Bay Hotel once again and thank you also for this wonderful feedback. All on the team are thrilled you your family had such a lovely time with us.

Your positive feedback is most welcome and indeed very rewarding for all and we thank you once again. Hopefully, we will have the opportunity to welcome you back at some stage in the future.

Kindest regards,
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The hotel is quite dated in it's appearance and the rooms, the ancient televisions, the strange smells emanating from the hallway carpets further reinforced this initial impression. That being said, the staff couldn't have been more friendly and helpful, and it was a genuinely delicious, varied and hearty breakfast spread in the morning. I think I was just expecting more for the price and the 'four stars'. Plus the view of two carparks probably didn't help either.

Room Tip: Perhaps ask for one with a sea view. I'm not sure if these are more expensive.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear ‘JimmyHapps’,

Thank you most sincerely for choosing to stay here in the Galway Bay Hotel recently and thank you also for your feedback.

I am delighted to read that you found that the team in the hotel could not have been more friendly and that you found the quality of food to be genuinely delicious with a hearty breakfast in the morning.

We are a fourteen year old hotel with a classical look and feel throughout all areas including the hotel bedrooms. We have refurbished the hotel in its entirety on two occasions since opening making a conscious effort to retain this classical look and feel and the feedback we receive on a daily basis is overwhelmingly positive regarding this, with words describing the atmosphere, look and feel throughout the hotel being charming, elegant and atmospheric. It is our plan to change all hotel televisions shortly. As part of our winter maintenance and refurbishing program we very recently changed some of the carpets in the bedrooms and bedroom hallways – maybe this is where the odour you mention came from as all on the team are at a loss with this comment.

We are an award winning four star hotel. Only very recently we underwent our annual Failte Ireland four star classification and we once again achieved a 90% four star rating – one of the highest four star ratings in the country. Also, we have just been awarded the highly sought after Deloitte Best Managed Companies, Gold Star award and we are also very proud to announce that we have received the European Foundation for Excellence in Quality from the European Centre of Competitiveness and Failte Ireland – the only hotel in Ireland to have these awards. These are very significant as Deloitte, Failte Ireland and the European Centre of Competitiveness all appraise all areas of the hotel ensuring that all areas are up to the highest of standards.

Thank you most sincerely once again and I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back at some stage in the future.

Warm regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in the Galway Bay Hotel for a special occasion recently. I have to say that the quality of food for breakfast and dinner was superb. The staff were very friendly and seemed to be genuinely enjoying there job. Very nice bedroom with super views. Will definitely recommend to the family and friends.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear ‘Titch220’,

Thank you most sincerely for choosing to stay here in the Galway Bay Hotel recently and thank you also for this super feedback. I am delighted that you had a very nice special occasion with us.

Your positive feedback regarding the superb quality of food at breakfast and dinner in our Lobster Pot Restaurant, the team enjoying their job and the very nice bedroom are all great to hear and I have to say that all of this is feedback which I receive on a daily basis from hotel guests. I am delighted that you enjoyed the views from the hotel of the beautiful Clare hills and the famous Galway Bay. I hope that you had a chance to take a leisurely stroll on the sea front promenade which is right on our door step.

Thank you for recommending us to all and we look forward to welcoming you back at some point in the future.

Best regards,
Dan Murphy

Been to Galway Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!