“very disappointing” 2 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
ireland
“very disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

after reading wonderful reveiws about the hotel we decided to spend a 3 night break here with dinner on 2 nights. we were going to stay in Connemara Coast but the reviews made us decide on the Galway bay. Check in was perfect very friendly receptionist, on arriving at our room 103 the doors were open the windows were open and the room to be honest smelt like an ashtry, we were moved to 106 which was grand until at 1.30am we moved because we were over a function room and the noise was appalling, we were then woken up extremely early as our room was right beside the cleaning agents room and staff were in out so we could not get lie in to catch up on our lack of sleep, we were then moved to another room which we spent the next 2 nights in. Our experience in the dining room was that the food was good but on the second night we were beside a very large party which had a child scream for the duration of our meal, we did get another table and the very nice waitress/manager apologised and expressed the same feeling as us that it was not nice. Overall we were deeply disappointed with the hotel, we did fill in a comment card and I was hoping that we would have a reply from the hotel but as we have not i just decided to write my comment to let people be sure of what room they are getting, we did ask on our reservation to be placed in quiet room away from functions????? Compliments to staff they were the only thing good for us.

Room Tip: please ask where your room is going to be to be sure that you get a good nights sleep. if you are a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
danmurph, General Manager at Galway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear ‘irelandsinglegirl’,

Thank you most sincerely for choosing to stay here in the Galway Bay Hotel recently and thank you also for your feedback. Your positive feedback regarding the team is much appreciated and thank you from all on the team.

It certainly does seem as though you did not receive the true Galway Bay Hotel experience. All on the team are most embarrassed. I apologise most sincerely and I would like to assure you that this is definitely not the normal standard of service we strive to offer any guest of the hotel.

This is most frustrating for us as we do have very stringent policies and procedures in place to ensure that the noise issues you encountered is not a problem for any guest. These policies and procedures are addressed with the relevant management and staff through our structured training program – Exceeding Expectations – whereby all on the team attend daily training managed by each specific Head of Department and the Human Resource Manager. Obviously, on this occasion noise was an issue and once again I do apologise. I have addressed this with the relevant management and staff and collectively we will ensure that this is not an issue for any future guests.

I received 212 pieces of guest feedback over the course of the week when you stayed. I can honestly say that the overwhelming majority of the feedback is hugely positive and your feedback is the only negative over this period. I mention this as I would like to assure you that your experience is the ‘exception to the rule’ and not at all the norm here in the Galway Bay Hotel. I have located your reservation detail in our system and I can confirm that I have not received a comment card with your name or room number on it. It is the policy of the hotel to reply to any negative feedback received. I would be delighted if you dropped me a line at dmurphy@galwaybayhotel.com .

Thank you again and I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the Galway Bay Hotel again in the future.

Sincere regards,
Dan Murphy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We received excellent service from the moment we entered the hotel. The restaurant food was amazing (I had lobster ravioli to start, and then the pork belly). The room and bed were lovely, and I really appreciated the additional touches (like Dove handsoap in the bathroom). I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
danmurph, General Manager at Galway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear ‘LynseyP88’,

Thank you for this super review and thank you also for choosing to stay here in the Galway Bay Hotel on your recent trip to Galway. I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us.

Your positive feedback is most welcome and indeed very encouraging, particularly your comments regarding the excellent service you received, the amazing food quality, the quality of the bed and the extra touches provided. I use feedback such as yours to help when it comes to encouraging and motivating the team to perform to the highest level consistently. I will be sure to pass on your feedback to all on the team.

Hopefully, we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Galway Bay Hotel at some stage in the future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

I dropped in sun last for a bite to eat in the bar. I was more than pleasantly surprised. The bar was cosy and relaxing, the staff were very attentive and friendly. Food was fairly priced for the large portion sizes. Our food was prompt yet presentation and taste was outstanding. Would definitely recommend. I will def be returning for some top quality nosh in a lovely setting.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
danmurph, General Manager at Galway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear ‘Caitriona O’,

Thank you most sincerely for calling into our main bar here 'An Scadan Caoch' in the Galway Bay Hotel for a bite to eat last Sunday. Thank you also for this super review! I am delighted that you enjoyed your brief time with us.

Your positive feedback is most encouraging, particularly relating to the outstanding quality of the food and portion sizes, the cosy relaxing bar and the attentive and friendly staff. I am so lucky to have such a wonderful team who are so focused and passionate when it comes to delivering top class service to all guests consistently. Your comment regarding the food being fairly priced is also very encouraging – I hear this quite a bit from both our local diners and residential guests alike.

I am delighted that you plan to return at some stage in the future and I would welcome the opportunity to say hello in person at some stage if the situation arose.

Donegal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I stayed in Galway Bay with female friends for a weekend break. I loved the beauty of the area and the friendly reception when we arrived. The staff in The Galway Bay always have a smile and are willing to go that extra mile to make your stay enjoyable. Food was fantastic and a quick taxi trip arranged by reception brought us into town for shopping. Rooms were spotless and spacious. I have stayed in other hotels in Galway but although one in particular looked fantastic the staff and food make the Galway Bay a winner. Thanks for a very enjoyable weekend.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear ‘PCampDonegal’,

Thank you very much for taking the time and effort to write your wonderful review and also for choosing to stay with us here in the Galway Bay Hotel with your friends on your recent trip to Galway.

I am delighted that you really enjoyed your time with us and thank you for the wonderful feedback regarding all aspects of your stay, in particular the smiling team, the fantastic food and the spotless bedrooms. I receive approximately 200 pieces of guest feedback on a weekly basis by way of guest comment card, letter, e-mail, word of mouth to our guest services manager and by way of follow on calls to past guests. The overwhelming majority of this feedback is an exact replica to yours which is most rewarding to all on the team.

We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back at some stage in the future.

Kind regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

The rooms were exceptionally clean and spacious and we had a wonderful view of the bay. All the staff we met throughout our stay were extremely friendly yet I would like to single out Kim from the front desk, she was so helpful, we had no reservation and she took care of us without any hesitation and she also gave us great help in the morning when we needed directions, overall we had an incredible stay and I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed November 2012
danmurph, General Manager at Galway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear ‘Tadhg1973’,

Thank you most sincerely for choosing to stay here in the Galway Bay Hotel on your recent trip to Galway and thank you also for sharing your views regarding your stay.

I was delighted to read through your review, I have shared your thoughts with all on the team and we would all like to thank you for your kind and positive feedback regarding the hotel. I am particularly pleased to view your feedback regarding the team and how extremely friendly they were. This is feedback we receive consistently through all of the guest feedback received daily. Kim is thrilled to be mentioned is such a positive manner through such a public medium and she also passes on her gratitude to you.

I do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back at some stage in the future.

Warm regards,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Excellent staff, catered for all our needs, very friendly and accommodating. Had our mum's 70th there and they organised for my brother (who had flown back from New York) to dress up as a waiter and surprise her. Brian and Declan were fantastic.

• Stayed November 2012
danmurph, General Manager at Galway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear ‘Brookli’,

Thank you most sincerely for taking the time and effort to write this wonderful review and also for choosing to stay here in the Galway Bay Hotel on your recent visit to Galway.

I am delighted that you had such a wonderful time with us. An important event such as a 70th birthday is as important to us as it is to you and we were only too delighted to be part of the celebration. Thank you for your wonderful feedback regarding our team – especially Brian and Declan – they are two superb professionals and they are delighted to be mentioned in such a positive manner through such a public medium; you have made their day!

We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the Galway Bay Hotel again in the future.

Kindest regards,
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

What a wonderful stay we had in the Galway Bay hotel and we will definately return again. From arrival to departure the staff were excellent in every way... From receiving a surprise complimentary bottle of prosecco with dinner (which was delicious with a varied choice) due to a birthday celebration; to the very helpful manager Mr Sharkey for sorting out the repair of out flat tyre when we were due to depart. They staff made the stay enjoyable and I would highly recommend it as a break away with friends and family.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear 'Fi M',

Thank you most sincerely for choosing to stay here in the Galway Bay Hotel recently and thank you also for this wonderful feedback.

It was a pleasure to read through your review and hear what an enjoyable experience you had. Your positive feedback is most rewarding to all on the team. Your comment regarding the delicious and varied choice of food at dinner is great to hear. Our Executive Chef and his team are constantly changing our menus in our Lobster Pot Restaurant with each of the seasons and this receives super feedback consistently. I am delighted that you enjoyed the bottle of prosecco we left for you - a special occasion for you is a special occasion for us and we take
great satisfaction marking these events when we are made aware. I am delighted that our Senior Manager Declan Sharkey was able to help you out with your flat tyre - it is amazing the type of external issues which crop up for guests daily but thankfully we are in a position to solve most and if we cannot we know somebody who can! Declan passes on his gratitude to you.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Dan Murphy

Been to Galway Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!