“Galway Bay is OK” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Charlotte
“Galway Bay is OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2008

Now that I've returned from my trip, I realize that Galway Bay Hotel was fairly decent, especially considering the great price (Orbitz). However, a few things irked me.

For instance, there was no option to iron in the room, just an "ironing room" on another floor. The hairdryer cut off every few minutes, and the shower water was lukewarm at best. The staff at the front desk wasn't very knowledgeable when asked questions about the area. And finally, we received our wake-up call 50 minutes late - and there was no apology or even acknowledgement. We were on a time schedule, so this put us in a mad rush. All in all, it wasn't as relaxing as it could have been - the devil's in the details. The room was a nice size, though, and the Irish breakfast was lovely.

• Liked — Location on the Galway Bay
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
danmurph, General Manager at Galway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2010
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your review of the Galway Bay Hotel. I am terribly disappointed to read your comments. As a team we have discussed this and all here would like to apologise most sincerely for any shortcomings you encountered. Since your stay here the hotel has invested heavily in a refurbishment plan and also a comprehensive staff training programme called "Exceeding Expectations". We have received many awards for excellence in last number of years for excellence in service and product. It is our collective aim now to try and regain your confidence with the Galway Bay Hotel. If you wish to return to the hotel I would be delighted if you would drop me a line personally at dmurphy@galwaybayhotel.com
Kindest Regards, Dan Murphy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2008

We stayed here for a friends wedding.It was just for one night.Our room was over looking the sea, big comfy bed.Did not hear any noise from the wedding below.Food was delicious and staff very helpful.We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2007

My husband and two children (ages 6 & 10) stayed at the Galway Bay for 3 nights in August. It was wonderful! The great stuff: the kids club- our kids loved it. They would go from 10 am to 1 pm and then again in the evening from 6-11. They wanted to eat dinner at the kids
club! Which freed us to walk to Salt Hill and have a bite to eat. We
even explored Galway one evening with our cell phone numbers on file!
The lobby was great to hang out in and the front room of the hotel with views of the Galway Bay was gorgeous and quiet at times. One night, we ordered sanwiches and a couple of pints, played cards and watched the sunset! It was magnificent. The pub is fun. There was plenty of room and on Wed night, there was entertainment. There were plenty of places to sit inside or out throughout our stay. The room was large for a European hotel. We all fit comfortably even with the roll away bed. Make sure to ask for a room away from the amusement park in Season. The dining room for breakfast was great. Our kids really loved it and there was plenty of selection. The pool is small but functional.

If we lived in Irelande, we woudl make this a yearly destination!

• Liked — The views! The kids club! High Tea! The pub!
  • Disliked — The pool!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Kenmare
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2007

We stayed in Galway Bay Hotel for a week and found it lovely.
The rooms were confortable and large, and beds particularly comfortable. The food in the restaurant was excellent and staff couldn't have been more helpful.
There was a large wedding going on, on the day we checked in and we were initially worried that the party may wake us, but there was no noise or annoyance from the wedding.
I couldn't recommend this hotel highly enough

Stayed October 2007
cork
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2007

I work on the road and stay in the Galway Bay Hotel regularly (once a month approx). From my experiences of the hotels around Galway, the Galway Bay is the best option. The staff couldn't be friendlier, and the facilities are spot on (the beds are always comfortable).
Food is always of a high standard esp the breakfast. I have never checked out and felt dissatisfied on any level. Couldn't recommend this place enough.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2007

Just back from a weekend in the Galway bay hotel. Initital impression was good, the lobby area is very nice etc. But, I have to say the room was just so "typical" and dated - it just stank of smoke and air fresherner overkill. The smell didnt disappate all weekend despite leaving windows open all day. The carpets are just so old fashioned - real typical "hotel style". And as for the bathroom! gammy white shower curtain - real cheap cheap cheap and the tiniest bath you have ever seen. Seriously. The rooms just oozed 1985 without any charm whatsoever. The housekeeping was terrible also. They literally made the bed. My night dress was just left on the floor in a bundle and they didnt even attempt to make it appear like they had tidied anywhere else in the room. Dont get me started on the leisure centre! The use of the words "leisure centre" to desribe it is ridiculous. It is a tiny pokey pool squashed into a room . Seriously the pits. With terrible dressing rooms. If I got a FREE weekend in the Galway Bey Hotel I wouldnt go back. The reason I say this hotel is "okay" and not "terrible" is that the staff were actually nice - its not their fault the amenities sucked. PS Breakfast also very lame. If you like a fry, great. But god forbit if you woukd like a choice!!!

• Liked — Location on the promenade in Salthill
  • Disliked — The dated bedrooms, awful leisure centre and poor menu for breakdast
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
danmurph, General Manager at Galway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2010
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review of the Galway Bay Hotel. Myself, and the team here in the Galway Bay are extremely disappointed to learn of your experience with us. I would like to apologize most sincerely and I would like to assure you that this is definitely not the normal standard of service we strive to offer any guest of the Galway Bay Hotel. As you can see your experience is not consistent with the normal feedback we receive on a daily basis. I would be delighted if you
would drop me a line personally so as we can discuss and God willing I will get
the opportunity to regain your confidence with the Galway Bay Hotel at
some stage in the future. My personal e-mail address is
dmurphy@galwaybayhotel.com
Kindest regards,
Dan Murphy.
Clare, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2007

This is the first review I have ever given - but just had to say - Stayed at this hotel for a weekend break (2 nights B&B and 1 evening meal) the room which was a superior room had a lovely view of Galway bay and was the only thing I was happy with - I thought the room was small very ordinary and not what I thought we had paid for we paid €520 for our stay. The hotel is a 4 star which is laughable no way does it derserve this rating 2 - 3 star max. The food was very average - the dinner was very poor and tepid the cooked breakfast was terrible (there were broken egg shells stuck to the bacon and I couldn't eat the sausages there was a very strange taste from them! I was very disappointed with our stay in general and would not recommend it to anyone. Not worth the money, plus both nights there were not 1 but 2 weddings on both days - I was awoken on both nights by drunken wedding guests making there way back to there rooms.

• Liked — View from bedroom
  • Disliked — Food
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your review of the Galway Bay Hotel. Needless to say, I am always extremely concerned when any guest leaves the hotel less than 100% happy. I would like to sincerely apologise for any shortcomings which you may have encountered during your stay with us and I would like to assure you that your comments are taken in the structured nature in which they are meant. I have shared your views with all of the team here and collectively we are all deeply disappointed as we do take feedback such as this very personally. It is our collective aim now to attempt to regain your confidence with the Galway Bay Hotel. I would be delighted if you would drop me a line at dmurphy@galwaybayhotel.com regarding your stay with us. Kindest regards,
Dan Murphy.

Been to Galway Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!