“In a word - don't!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #169 of 187 Galway B&B and Inns
Dublin, Ireland
“In a word - don't!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I could not believe that this place seemed so busy. I guess they don't have much repeat traffic. My room was grotty and I felt that the bathroom was certainly not as clean as it should be. There was what appeared to be an old blood stain on my pillowcase - yuk. The crockery stuck to the table in the dining area and I could smell cigarette smoke during breakfast. Street noise was also significant with traffic whizzing by on the busy road outside. One of the worst places I've stayed and the price is the same as for places of higher standards. I'm baffled!.

Room Tip: Nothing to recommend this place
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Suffolk
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

75 euros per night is too expensive for what you get. On arrival the room smelt terrible - like a mens sports changing room, we had to open all the windows at once. The furniture both in the room and in public places looked like it had come from a 1970's auction sale.As mentioned by a previous guest the chairs in the breakfast room are disgusting - covered in some sort of white stains. Breakfast itself was terrible. Cheap, undercooked plastic sausages, tasteless bacon, some sort of deep fried black pudding and so overcooked fried eggs-all swimming in fat.The 'fruit' on offer was all tinned. This is just not good enough for the price.The lady serving the breakfast was wearing plastic gloves all the time which seemed strange, until we saw her cleaning the rooms as well! Galway is a lovely little town and if we return we will stay somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Corvallis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

My wife, daughter and I spent 6 nights here. Our host Tom Hilary was very friendly and helpful. Our room was quiet and comfortable. We enjoyed our breakfasts very much. We felt we this was very good value and we liked the location.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Western Ireland, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

Stayed at Corrib Haven last night, could not believe how bad it was for a Board Failte approved B & B. Firstly it cost €75 for a double room which was so cramped you would have to make an appointment to move around if sharing with one other person. The en-suite was definately designed for a toilet only and at that you would be lucky to get in the door without an injury. The towels were ancient and smelly. The bedside light must have been purchased in an antique shop or given away as a bad seller. That was bad enought until you went to bed the worst bed I have every been in. The springs were coming up through the mattress and as a result the imprint was on my back this morning when I tried to get out of bed and was hit by a chair not suitable for a bedroom. There was 6 inches between the bed and the chair not enough room for a size 7 shoe. According to their website the rooms are non-smoking, that is not the case. I could not sleep with the smell of stale cigarette smoke from the quilt. We stayed in room Number 8, noise went on all night with people coming in the front door, going to their rooms and putting on the toilet light which made a noise from the fan and forgot to turn it off. This went on all night. Then came the breakfast, appawling experience, the chairs were filthy, I asked for a clean chair and it was impossible to find. So I sat on the dirty one, I thought that was bad until the guest next to me got up and that was the limit alltoghter. The table mats were stuck to the table with dirt, they were faded with the sun that shone down on them for ?? number of years. The breakfast was served by a lady wearing plastic disposable gloves, whatever she was doing with them prior to serving us. I asked for Gluten free bread knowing that according to standards so far it was going to prove impossible. How right I was, she offered me "brown bread", obviously not familiar with Gluten free. They seriously need to get their act together. Do not think what you see on their website is what you will get, a good example of false and misleading advertising. Would never stay in this place ever again.

Room Tip: Do not choose this place to stay unless you want a bad experience of what a Board Failte B&B mi...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Dublin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

This is the reason the tourist industry in Ireland is doing badly. When B&B owners complain that business is bad, they only have themselves to blame. I consider 75 euro for staying in somebody's front bedroom to be exorbitant in the current economic climate. Room was clean and it was a roof over your head. But it's no hotel - you are never under any illusions that you are not staying in somebody's house. Fair enough - maybe that's the charm of a B&B but the price should reflect the actuality. The bed was uncomfortable, the sheets were staticy, the room was tiny, you can hear everyone else moving around the house and in particular when the front door opens and people come in late, and you have a superb view of a housing estate. Oh, it's also nowhere near the centre of town. If it was your aunt you were staying with you would put up with it. But really - unless there is nothing else available, I wouldn't seek this out. Average. Pricey.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
New Ross, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

Stayed here for 3 nights and was quite happy to have done so. As I was visiting the nearby NUIG, my main criteria were location and price. The location was perfect - less than a 5 minute walk to the campus I was visiting - and the price was very good too.

For my stay, I had a downstairs bedroom between the breakfast room, the lounge and the driveway. For all that it was quiet enough. I didn't use the lounge but there was a microwave and tea/coffee making facility, along with a large flat screen tv with satellite tv, and a few sofas / chairs from which to enjoy it.

I arrived late on the first night and that was no problem - I was welcomed warmly and shown to my room promptly. Room was exactly what I needed - bed, TV, place to store clothes, tea / coffee making facility and ensuite shower room / toilet. Bed was fine - not the best mattress in the world but certainly not uncomfortable by any stretch. Shower took a small while to get warm in the mornings but its a big building and the hot water tank is probably a good distance away. When it got going though there was lots of hot water and the thermostatically-controlled shower was lovely.

Breakfast consisted of a choice of help-yourself-to juice, cereals, fruit & yoghurt, followed by tea/coffee and a choice of cooked breakfasts. These were promptly served with toast and brown sode bread and tasted pretty nice - really set me up for the day. The only thing at breakfast that I thought could be improved was that I was called "Sir" - some people like the formality and it is of course difficult when you have different people staying every day. But I just prefer staying in a place where your name is known and remembered and you're called by that - I always think you end up feeling more like a guest than a customer, and its the difference between a B&B and a more impersonal hotel. But that's just a small thing and is purely individual preference.

When I was leaving I had the option of paying by cash or by card - always helpful - and I was left with the feeling that if I were back in this area of town again I'd certainly call for a room here first. (Actually I did a few nights later but unfortunately they were full). I noticed a lot of information about things to do in the area - useful for visitors to help plan their visits.

I really couldn't fault Corrib Haven and I'd recommend this B&B to anyone.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Been to Corrib Haven Guest House? Share your experiences!