“Good value” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 56 Hotels in Galway
Dublin
“Good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

We had stayed at this hotel previously do knew what to expect. This time around we got a great rate so were pleased to stay again. Hotel location is second to none, it's right on eyre square so shopping , dining out etc is not a problem. Parking is at a near by multi story and is good value. Rooms are basic and clean. Breakfast was ok - much smaller portions for the cooked breakfast than the last time we stayed but the buffet is decent. We would definitely stay again next time we are in galway

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Christchurch NZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I used this Hotel for a week as I explored Galway. It is very central and I enjoyed a good room.
The central location meant visiting the Tourist attractions I had planned was made easy. It was a 5 minute walk from the Bus station where the Dublin to Galway bus dropped me off.

Location/Getting There: Victoria Place, off Eyre Square. From the Bus station walk out the Bus Station and there is a Tourist information office opposite you. Walk towards it and you are on Forster Street. Walk down Forster Street to it's end where it intersects with Victoria Place. Turn left and the Hotel is a minute's walk. Total walking time was 5 to 6 minutes.

There are plenty of shops nearby and Tourist information offices. The Aran Island Shuttle Bus stop is almost directly outside the Hotel, and Ferry tickets are sold from the Ferry Office just by the Hotel. There is a supermarket inside the nearby underground shopping centre. There are plenty of souvenir shops within walking distance.

The room was very good with good facilities and was well looked after. I used the Hotel as a base from which to explore and sightsee around Galway City. It's location allowed me to walk to many of the tourist attractions. The Tourist information office by the bus station has a lot of good information, with helpful staff.
Hotel staff were polite and helpful. My room's cost was not cheap, but it was of a high standard.
Would stay again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I had no problems at all here - booked a single and got a twin. Room lovely and toasty, very clean and lots of room. Yes, the telly wasn't a flat screen, but that had no impact at all on my visit.

Breakfast ok - cooked breakfast for those that wanted it, Marmite and or cheese would have been good for the toast (for the non meat eaters) but fresh fruit juice and a good selection of cereals, yoghurts etc.

Staff were all very pleasant and the location really is excellent. 2 mins from the train/bus station and you are right in the centre of town. I was on the 4th floor and had no issues at all with any noise.

I have to mention that I saw The Undertones play on the Saturday night, and they were absolutely fantastic!! Part of the soundtrack of my youth. Go see them!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Washington dc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I found the lobby and bar area of the Victoria to be charming and it is located right off the square, so the location is ideal. No parking on-site, but a good deal with a near-by lot. The room was a little stale and smelled faintly of smoke (and had an ash tray in it- we're non smokers) so that was a little of a turn off. The room needed some updates but the bathroom was decent and had a nice tub. However, there was no exhaust fan in the bathroom or room, so if you took a hot shower there was a ton of humidity. Our room looked into the fire stairwell.....womp. And there was some sort of party Saturday night and man was it LOUD! Granted, its a city (I live in a city so I am used to noise) but this sounded like the hotel was hosting a party right on top of our room. However, Sunday night was much quieter and a good night's sleep was had.
I paid a reasonable rate for this hotel, so I am not terribly upset, although there could have been some upgrades over the years. However, the location is nice and staff was friendly.

Room Tip: Dont accept room 108- terrible view (see pic)
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Galway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Travelling by bus, this hotel is in easy walking distance of both bus stations in Galway. The hotel has good rooms, and the dining room serves very good breakfasts. The dinner menu was varied, and the food well cooked and presented. I stayed at the hotel on my way north and decided to stay there again on my way back south. In the first room I found the air conditioning noise was bothersome, but the second room was much quieter. I would recommend this hotel to friends.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for a stag do back in February. Great location off the centre. Hotel is pricey though as a result. Some reception staff are abrupt in manner which wasn't a good start.

Here's the second false start. Rooms are old and depressing with peeling wallpaper, broken fixtures and cables with dodgy old tvs similar to a cheap motel.

Food in the bar is mediocre at best and they hadn't a lot of the basic stuff available on the menu. The pints are shockingly bad and service seems clueless at times also.

The hotel seems to cater for stag and hen nights mostly which is ok, but outside of this the park bench on Eyre Square would be just as good for couples or tourists who value and respect themselves.

• Stayed February 2012
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

My friend and I stayed here overnight from a Monday to Tuesday in August and we wouldn't go here again. We went to our room and the door was so stiff we couldn't open it. I went downstairs to inform them and got told 'it was fine earlier', we were given another room. The next door was stiff also and it took both of us to open it. The room was presentable but I had a hair on my bed and ink stains on the sheets. The bathroom had chips in the bath, a rushy towel rail and then later when I had a bath I couldn't turn the cold water off, we both tried. I called reception and a member of staff came and after five minutes he told us 'only needed a firm grip'. The next morning at 7am three times an alarm went off, think it was either a firedoor or faulty firealarm. I called reception, got told it was getting fixed and they hung up. Also, as we were on the second floor the noise of the bus station was very loud, if we were on the 4th floor it would have been quieter. At breakfast I asked if they had soy milk as I am dairy intolerant and they said no.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Victoria Hotel? Share your experiences!