“Don't stay here!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 42 Specialty Lodging in Galway
Boston, Massachusetts
“Don't stay here!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2011

My friend had called and booked the two private rooms a month beforehand. When we showed up there, we were told there wasn't a reservation under my friend's name and they were all booked up for the weekend. My suggestion is to not book over the phone! They were nice enough to tell us where else to look. I'm glad we didn't stay there. Just from looking at the common areas, the place looked like a dump; as if it were run by messy, unclean men!
We walked down the street to San Antonio House and were able to book a triple on the spot. We might have been the only ones there. Very nice people running the place.....and it's clean!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2011

This is the worst hostel I have EVER been to, and I have traveled all around the world. The staff is the worst part. They have a haggered old woman running the place and a mustached on a high horse who cram 16 people in a room with ZERO outlets. The place looks like a house that was beaten up and sold with mould, dirt, and unfriendly people, and they added a nice website to intrigue patrons to come over. I am not one to ever write something 100% bad about a place, but I had never been here before.

They encourage you to go out and "explore" by telling you that you are not allowed to watch movies and TV in the common room in the day. Understandable, but I am paying for a room not their opinion. Also, who is to tell me why I can't spend a sick day on the couch. We felt like outcasts, and with every inch of my being I will tell the entire world what a horrible place this is.

In other words, stay at an equally priced place anywhere else.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Harrogate, UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2007

I'd like to start this out by saying I am not high maintenance, and I've stayed in plenty of hostels before, so I know what to expect. But this place was terrible! Don't stay here unless you currently live in a dirty fraternity house and want to feel at home on your holiday.

Some things weren't great, but I could live with just fine: the small rooms, the bad mattresses, the swaying bunk beds, the lack of towels (although the web site said linens included), the fact that you had to ring to get in and sometimes you'd be left standing outside for 10 minutes. And the fact that we'd booked and confirmed a 4-bed dorm, and that room was given to someone else, so we stayed in a 6-bed. But the whole place was filthy and stank. Rubbish under the beds and big gobs of hair. Disgusting bathrooms and showers that look like they haven't been cleaned since the hostel got good reviews in 2004. Bad smells everywhere. We ended up wasting a bunch of our time in Galway wandering around looking for another place to stay, and packed up and moved on Sunday when we could find another hostel with open beds.

I admit, I didn't hang out in the common area or kitchen (because I was so grossed out, I didn't want to spend any more time than necessary there, and I didn't want to prepare food in that filth). So maybe the other guests were friendly and great to be around. Maybe there was a good atmosphere, but I couldn't get past the filth to find out.

If you're going to Galway, stay in Sleepzone or Kinlay House instead.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2007

But they never once mentioned at booking that we needed photo ID.

Rang on Thursday Feb 22nd to book a twin room for the following Saturday March 2nd and were told no bother and no need to give credit card details, the guy on the phone kept saying there was a 3am curfew which was no problem by us. When we got there about 1pm on the Saturday we were told by the foreign 80’s pin wearing check-in guy that we couldn’t stay as we had no photo identification!!!!

We even offered to pay a 200e cash and give credit card details as a deposit and we still told no. We were given a list of other possible places – most of which we had previously tried and we asked could he even help us by ringing around a few places but he said no. . I don’t drive, I’m not a student and never needed my passport before for travelling from Dublin to Galway!!!!! ***They never once mentioned on the website or on the phone when booking about photo id and to leave two girls stranded in Galway is a complete disgrace but saying this to the Manager made no difference.***

Only other thing I can tell you about the place was that it smelled of smelly feet when we walked in and the reception and living room was very dark and very old fashioned but as we were refused check in I can’t tell you about the rest of the hostel. Oh and there was a sign on the door saying something along the lines of under no circumstances have guests to answer the front door – staff only can allow access.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — Not being told that we needed photo ID at booking.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Trier, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2006

Salmon Weir Hostel is the ideal place especially for young travellers who love to meet new people and make friends. The staff members create a warm and welcoming atmosphere and are always willing to help you out with all kinds of information, the hostel itself is small but clean and not expensive at all. The kitchen is great as well and the little backyard is nice and perfect for bbqs (if the Irish weather allows it). I stayed at Salmon Weir for almost 3 months last summer and had enough opportunities to experience this place; Salmon Weir really rocks!
And by the way: nobody would throw guests out after 5 days unless they'd have a good reason for it ( like misbehaviour). Long termers are welcome.

• Stayed August 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2006

THIS PLACE IS A TAX FIDDLE FOR THE OWNER.There should be a lower rating for this place, not fit for homeless people. Don't stay there, it is terrible. Smelly, Noisey, Dirty. They kick you out if you stay more than 5 days, and don't tell you till 11pm, so you can't find another place to sleep.

• Stayed April 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2005

What an awesome staff!the nicest people we met in the whole country!
We´ve been there twice,cause it was so nice! you must have been there.We´ll come back one day!

• Stayed August 2004

Been to Salmon Weir Hostel? Share your experiences!