“You get what you pay for!” 4 of 5 stars

Menlo Park Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Terryland | Headford Road, Galway, Ireland   |
Ranked #5 of 56 Hotels in Galway
Edinburgh
“You get what you pay for!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel as a gift for my boyfriend & I as it looked beautiful on the website, they'd a good 69 euro deal which included breakfast for the night and I'd never been to Galway before.
On arrival the receptionist was helpful, we got a lift up to our room which was on the first floor. Walking in the room was clean but very basic, double room standard, I wished I'd paid the extra 20 euro on this Sunday for the upgrade. We both wanted to check out what Galway city had to offer so I went for a shower first. Whilst in the shower it absolutely stank. I have long hair and it just smelt disgusting. I deliberately didn't open my mouth as I thought something wasn't right. I came out and looked around the bathroom feeling it needed a touch up job. Chipped walls etc, but like I said, I guess you get what you pay for. I was more concerned that I smelt of drains and fish. I'm laughing writing this now but at the time I wasn't!
My boyfriend, the most calm man on the planet, smelt me, ran some taps and then called for the Manager. Within minutes the Manager arrived and said something along the lines of 'unbeknown to them the water has been turned off to fix pipes but now it's back on again and they are just clearing the systems. They hadn't realised it had affected this floor and that they'd move us to another room'.
At this point I smelt so bad we were contemplating going home or moving hotels.
A superior room was given to us as an upgrade, with a free box of milk tray and free bottled water. The bathroom in this room was gorgeous again on the first floor. It was very modern and chic, what a difference from the standard room, I'd recommend everybody upgrade, just for the bathroom. Unfortunately the water was still brown, but at this point I used Nivea wet wipes to freshen up & lots of hairspray to disguise hair smell. We'd made the decision to stay. Over the next hour or two our room was busy with staff coming in & out to monitor the water problem. I mean it would be a bit of a pain if you were off for a romantic evening away but we were off out into the city night, and saw the fact that staff were dealing with it as a positive. I do wish that when we had checked in they'd have told us not to shower until the problem was resolved, then they probably wouldn't have to upgrade us as we'd have been satisfied with that & my hair would have smelt fresher.
The hotel itself was a 20 minute walk from the city, 8 euros in a taxi, we taxied and walked.
The bar was a bit overpriced but a lot of hotel bars are and we couldn't believe it when the bell went for last orders, not long after 10pm, as we returned for a drink there.
Overall I have to say it was a nice hotel. The staff couldn't have been nicer and the Manager dealt with our situation beautifully. The morning we left the water was crystal clear and the shower was lovely. Although my experience was tainted, to be fair to the Hotel it genuinely felt like it was out of their control.
Would we stay there again?
Yes, but I'd definately ask about the water, wear a shower cap, book a superior room, stay longer in the city for a drink!
Couldn't fault the staff.
Thank you.

• Stayed December 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Drogheda, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

I had an early appointment in Tuam so decided to go to Galway and stay for the night. I got a good rate on a hotel booking web site and arrived at the hotel about 8pm. Lady on reception was excellent. She said that she could not improve on the hotel rate I had got on line but she did upgrade me to a much bigger room. Really big and really comfortable.

I had something to eat in the bar. The bar food was excellent.

Breakfast the next morning has a good choice.

Overall a good hotel for an overnight when passing through Galway. I was fortunate to be kindly upgraded by the very pleasant receptionist so my room was above average. I don't know what the standard room was like.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
GMMGalway, Guest Relations Manager at Menlo Park Hotel, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Dear Snobbig

Thank you for taking to review our hotel. It was great to read that although your stay was brief you had an enjoyable experience. Thank you for all the kind comments on our food both in the bar & for breakfast. We look forward to seeing you again.

Cavan, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

stayed two nights last week the hotel is nice and the staff very friendly had breakfast and evening meal both of which were very good lots of variety for breakfast and loved the garlic potatoes also lovely creamy pint of guinness its around 15 or 20 min walk to city centre but this didnt bother us as the weather was very mild will stay again for sure

Dear Stephen19689

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property. It is much appreciated. We are delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us also that you enjoyed our creamy pint of Guinness and our food. We look forward to having you back in the future.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Just returned from weekend stay at this hotel. Lovely hotel, very very friendly/helpful reception staff. Rooms spacious and it seems the bathrooms have been modernized, very nice!! Breakfast was lovely and plenty. Bar food was Ok, cocktails just gorgeous. Enjoyed our stay.

Dear RebeccaD

Thank you most sincerely for choosing to stay at the Menlo Park Hotel recently and thank you also for your great feedback. I am delighted that you had such a nice time with us. Your positive feedback is most welcome and very important to us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Was a great reception with the girl behind the desk being really friendly ! We walked from the train station just to see how long it actually is and it was about 20 mins to the centre of the town , the walk is along a main road where all the main shopping is including many good places and the cinema , we then got the bus which stops right outside and goes right into town for 1.80 every 30 mins , taxi was about 8 euro , the room was nice and spacious and immaculate with a great shower , got very warm in middle of night but you can knock the heater off , the bar food there is great and great value for money , the breakfast which is 7-10 is delicious and very filling ! Overall it was a great stay !!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear AndrewB

Thank you most sincerely for choosing to stay here in the Menlo Park Hotel recently and thank you also for your lovely feedback. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit so much. Your positive feedback is most welcome and very important to us. I have passed this on to all on the team.
Hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to us in the future
Waterford, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Yes, what a shame! We booked 3 nights mid-week and upgraded to a Superior room. Needed the rest and relaxation and can't figure out why when the hotel was so quiet that we were put in room 135 right over the loading bay - could have taken a step out the window on to the roof of the various delivery/laundry vans. Unfortunately also the superior room was probably the most depressing hotel room I have been to in a long time and resembled nothing of those shown on website. So...can only guess that if you take advantage of the 'specials', you will get the inferior rooms. What a shame when I could have found nice things to say but the above overshadowed everything. €345 not well spent!

Room Tip: 135 is dark and depressing but has a great bathroom!!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
GMMGalway, Manager at Menlo Park Hotel, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Dear UnaB2,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are sorry to hear you did not like room 135 which is our Bridal Suite. We have found it to be one of our most popular and requested rooms with its four poster bed and jacuzzi bath and designer furnishings. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss your experience in more detail.
Kind Regards,
Michelle,
Guest Relations.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

I honestly dont know how they manage to have so many nice helpful people in one hotel. We are well travelled and visit many hotels and there are always a few very nice members of staff and some not so nice but here they are all charming and helpful its amazing! We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and thought the service was excellent its very popular at lunch time with local people and that always means value for money and we found it to be the case.

would we stay there again? Yes definitely we would. Excellent meals, huge bedrooms and we found it quiet at night no being woken up by loud banging of doors and the carpets are very thick we noticed so you dont hear people above you either. So good night sleep and lovely breakfast this hotel is somewhere I noticed people return year after year, near to the town centre but not too near.

Dear Rose737

Thank you for taking the time to review us. Thank you for all your kind comments about our rooms, food & staff. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Michelle

Been to Menlo Park Hotel? Share your experiences!