“Warm welcome - great people” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Terryland | Headford Road, Galway, Ireland   |
Ranked #6 of 56 Hotels in Galway
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dublin, Ireland
“Warm welcome - great people”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I stay in the Menlo Park every time I visit Galway. The staff are fantastic - friendly, helpful, cannot do enough for you without being intrusive.
The rooms are clean, comfortable and very relaxing.
Food is of good variety and plentiful. I particularly love the breakfast. Bar food and service is really good too.
The hotel is very central to the city, approx. 10 minutes walk with many shops just 2-3 minutes away. I will be staying there again and again.
Mary O'Reilly

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
GMMGalway, Guest Relations Manager at Menlo Park Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Mary
We really appreciate the great review. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Thanks again and warmest best regards form all the team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Waterford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I found Menlo Park hotel to be very quiet and comfortable and would recommend anyone to stay at this hotel, very close to the city centre if you like to walk or drive too it.
Salthill is only a ten minute drive from hotel to go for a stroll down the strand, so from location point of view it was perfect.
I found the hotel to be quiet over the couple of days we stayed there but perhaps this was the case as we stayed on a Sun/Mon night.

The rooms was clean and very spacious and couldn't ask for more, fresh fruit and water were left out for us on both days and bed was huge and comfortable. The lights above the bed make it that bit nicer in the evening/night time when all the main lights are turned off in room.

We ate at the hotel both evenings and couldn't fault the food, 5*

I findd it very hard to be negative about this hotel as it was one of the nicest I have stayed in but I have two points i would like to point out.

1. Room location was not ideal as I was looking over staff and loading area in the back of hotel as I was above it, staff area was smoking area so it was not an attraction I wanted to look at and loading area can be noisy in mornings ( I know it can't be helped as you have to unload somewhere)

2. No gym or pool/spa area.

If I was going to Galway again I would probably stay there again, I could live without gym but would definitely ask for different room.

Room Tip: Try avoiding getting a room at back of hotel where loading/unloading bay is.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Lp3506
Thank you for your excellent review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay.
Please be aware that we also have king rooms to the front of the hotel, please ask for a front room when next you visit. We have four king rooms to the rear. These are favourite rooms for certain guests who love the spaciousness and decor of these rooms.
In relation to GYM and SPA, we have an agreement at NRG, Bohermore ( less than 1/2 mile from the hotel) for hotel residents on a pay as you go basis so dedicated fitness fans do not have to miss an important workout! Thanks again for the great review.

All the very best, David.
Monard, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Great deal via Living Social so my husband & I returned to the hotel where he proposed! Lovely food included complimentary wine with dinner & cocktails in hotel bar. Pleasant service although the room was quite warm during the night.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear AMgahan
We are so delighted that you enjoyed your special break..
Thanks for the great review. We are truly delighted that we hold a
special place in your memories... We look forward to seeing you again.

Warmest regards from all the team..
Limerick, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I decided to take my 2 year old and I away on a few days trip to Galway and stayed at this hotel. From the minute we walked in the door we were greeted warmly and efficiently. Hotel in general was clean and comfortable. Room was perfect for what we needed with plenty space and very clean and comfortable. All the staff were very friendly and attentive. My little girl had a blast and we were made to feel very welcome. We ate on a few occasions in the bar and was very happy with everything. The only reason I didnt give the hotel and 5/5 is that I asked if any other cocktails other than mojito's were available as Im not overly fond of them and was told no, however seeing other reviews on here it mentions a new cocktail menu??? And the noise from next door rooms and corridor was a little clearer than I would have liked but it didnt disturb my little one which is the main thing. Would certainly return again if going to the area!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Joanne

Thank you for your great reivew. We do have a full cocktail menu available. Two things may have happened.. The Mohitos were being offered free as part of a promotion.. if this did not apply to you /otherwise it is true that the full menu was withdrawn for a while when it was being updated.. so maybe that was what happened. We are really sorry about that.
We are heartened that you would defnitely be back and next time the cocktails will be on us..
Just let us know in advance or on check in. Kind regards from all the team..
Galway, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Very often I have lunch at the Menlo Park. The carvery/buffet food is excellent. Half portions are readily available and salad is always an option instead of potatoes....

Recently I had a post funeral lunch there for 150 plus people. It was a sit-down meal in the very fine, warm, comfortable dining room. Food was excellent, freshly-cooked, with choice. Vegetables were 'al dente' and 'seconds' for those who needed the extra sustinence were available without request. The manager on duty and his staff were sentitive to all our needs on this very cold, wet day in January........

Room Tip: Did not stay at the hotel, as I am a Galwegian.
Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Hi Laura-Anne,

I'm just writing to say a big huge thank you from all of us. Firstly,I want
to thank you Laura,the events manager for organising everything especially for upgrading
the rooms with the robes and the private room and personalised menus were
just beautiful.Simon,Lucian,Connor and Vincent and the girls at reception
were just fantastic too.Everyone was so accommodating and helpful from
beginning to end. It made the weekend such a success. I will definitely be recommending it to everyone and giving ye all the credit ye deserve for offering such a high standard of service with such a great personal touch too.

Thanks again,
Tara

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
GMMGalway, Guest Relations Manager at Menlo Park Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Tara,
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us so much. Laura-Anne was so pleased that you enjoyed the cocktail reception and your private dinner party.
No doubt the night-life in the city did not disappoint either!
Thank you so much for all of your positive comments about the service and staff. All the boys and girls at reception were delighted with your comments.. We look forward to welcoming you back again and thank you so much for the recommendations... from all the team...
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I booked our stay at the Menlo Park hotel via their website and had browsed through the photo gallery to check out the standard rooms, to which I had seen as modern and bright. Unfortunately this was not the kind of room we received. It looked nothing like the pictures at all and our room was dated and in need of tlc. Granted the room was quite big, however the bed was very uncomfortable and I did not sleep properly as I could feel the bed springs underneath. There was a large window and window sill in the room as well which was also dirty....definitely not 4 star.

The location is good as it is not far from the city centre and getting too and from was relatively simple. We only had breakfast in the hotel on our last day and it was nice however we were seated at a small table right at the kitchen entrance and where other guests lined up to get their breakfast...this meant that people were passing both sides of our table constantly and in effect watching each bite we ate.

The staff at the desk were lovely and the lady that we had upon arrival and departure was so helpful. I suppose you get what you pay for so I think we will pay that bit extra next time and stay somewhere else.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear F O
Tripadvisor is a wonderful resource and we very much value all feedback that we receive and use this in a very pro-active way to maintain and develop our operational standards.
Thank you for your really nice comments about our staff.
I was surprised that you suggest that your room was not as advertised and unlike the Classic rooms on the website. The room which you had been allocated has recently been refurbished with new carpets, new upholstery, curtains and a fully remodelled bathroom.
I was sorry to hear that you did not sleep well. As a result of your feedback, the mattress in the room you stayed in has been earmarked for replacement. In relation to your comments about the window sill, I must counter that we only recently received the Gold Award from the Irish Accommodation Services Institute for our standards of cleanliness. We have an excellent team and the standard of their work is above par.
In relation to your point about the location of your table at breakfast. This has been discussed at the Management meeting and immediate action has been taken to change the layout.
We do offer excellent value for money on our direct deals on the hotel website and we also offer fantastic value on upgrades to our luxury rooms. We receive positive feedback over and over about these. Should you wish to book with us again, please email us direct and we will be very happy to upgrade you at no extra charge as a gesture of our goodwill.
Thank you very much again for your valuable feedback...

Been to Menlo Park Hotel? Share your experiences!