“Kip” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 56 hotels in Galway
dublin
“Kip”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2008

A few of us stayed here. We all paid the same rate but some were given brand new rooms while some were given very small grotty, smelly dated rooms. Overall the hotel is a two star. If you think your booking into a 4 star you are mistaken. The hotel is also a maze of dodgy lifts and stairs. If you book this hotel you will be disappointed!.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

708 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Greek first
dub
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2008

I stayed at thsi Hotel the last October Bank holiday as a treat and Booked for the Saturday and Sunday night. As soon as I checked in the room I could hear the lift though the walls and asked to change room. When I changed rooms I thought I had gone back 20 years as this room was more like a bed and breakfast room, for the price of €230 per night I feel like this was a very sub standard hotel for a 4 star standard this is more like a 2 star hotel.
We stayed one night and cancelled the booking for the second night. I looked online and booked the G hotel in the centre of Galway for €220 for €10 cheaper i couldnt believe the quality compared, everything from the bed to the room and even the food was first class.
My advice if you want to stay at the Ardiluan hotel dont spend any more than its worth €90 a night or dont stay there

Stayed October 2008
Kutztown, Pennsylvania
1,481 reviews 1,481 reviews
1,365 helpful votes 1,365 helpful votes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2008

We were booked into this hotel by our tour company on a self drive tour. Upon arrival, we were happy to see a large parking area, as well as underground parking. The hotel has a history going back over 100 years and there are examples of old charm and elegance in the place. Our room was very comfortable and well appointed, with very good beds and blankets. The staff was very helpful with directions, maps and suggestions. Buffet breakfast was outstanding with a very large variety of breakfast items. We had dinner in the bar one night--the food was very good, moderately priced (total of 22 Euros for 2 entrees), and a charming, funny waiter, Terry, who had once worked in New York City. We really liked the Ardilaun and would highly recommend it.
A nice ride if you have a car, is to go left (west) out of the hotel and drive along the coast road, next to Galway Bay

• Liked — Location, old charm
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
blackrock
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2008

This hotel describes itself as four star but is no star in my opinion. We had booked a non-smoking room for a wedding and were shown two horrid rooms stinking of cigarette smoke on arrival and ended up in an adequate room (the third shown), not fresh smelling and with very old bed linen. The meal was adequate. The waiter/waitress service was excellent. Front desk service was abysmal both on arrival and for the extent of our stay. Toilet paper ran out at the wedding venue early in the evening and a request for paper at the desk resulted in an empty stare and no action. It was not until I crossed the hotel foyer with as many toilet paper rolls as I could carry (from an alternative toilet) that any attempt was made to remedy the situation. I was told that the paper was scarce because "there is a wedding on". I said that I was a member of the wedding party and that elderly relations were waiting in cublicles for paper and that it was a disgrace. No apology was forthcoming either then or the next day on checkout. An utter disgrace of a place.

• Liked — Waiter/waitress service was excellent
  • Disliked — There was nothing else whatever to recomment the place. Abysmal in all ways possible to describe including insulting behaviour on front desk.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Galway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2008

We had our wedding reception at the Ardilaun and it was just fantastic.

We were so well taken of, everything went according to plan and the whole day was just perfect.

We would highly recommned the Ardilaun for a wedding reception.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cork
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2008

Loved it, loved it, loved it. Really enjoyed our stay there. Would highly recommend it to a friend. Food is great, service is fantastic, really really pleased overall.

And very reasonably priced also!

• Liked — The food, the general impression you get of the place
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2008

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for one night in order to attend a friend's wedding and were extremely diappointed with our stay. On arrival to the hotel at 12.30pm I went to check in but was informed by a quite rude young lady at reception that there were no rooms available and that we would have to wait until 2.30pm to check in. I informed her that my wife and I had to change for the wedding ( which was in Galway city at 2pm) but she just shrugged her shoulders and said there was nothing she could do. However, a nice young man came out from a office behind reception and said that although he had no hotel room available for us we could change in a changing room in the hotel's leisure centre. For 280 euro for a night's stay at this hotel I found this unacceptable. Luckily for my wife she met a friend who had stayed the night before in the hotel and she allowed her to prepare for the wedding in her room. As for myself I had to change in a cubicle in the hotel's pub bathroom (charming u might say!) Overall the staff at the hotel very very accomodating and friendly. The service at the wedding was excellent although the food wasn't. As for the rooms I would have to say that they were plain and boring. Not something you would expect from such a prestigious hotel . On a good note breakfast in the morning was quite good.

• Liked — Breakfats and the friendliness of the majority of staff
  • Disliked — Check-in policy and a quite rude young lady at reception
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Ardilaun Hotel? Share your experiences!