“It was ok, but only ok....” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Local cuisine, Entertaining clients, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Breakfast
“It was ok, but only ok....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

We decided to have lunch here on the strength of the other reviews, and the place was - as expected - quaint and a little bit different to the normal cafe. However, what struck me after a few minutes was the lack of warmth and friendliness of the staff, none of whom really seemed interested in us as customers. At a guess I'd say that the recent good reviews have made the cafe a little too busy for the staff to handle. That said, the food that we ordered was absolutely fine and my son was very impressed with his large slice of chocolate fudge cake. Overall, it is just not somewhere I would visit again.

• Visited August 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Galway, Ireland
“AMAZING!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

This place is incredible. Absolutely adorable interior, gorgeous serving plates, and the rhubarb crumble is one of the best things I have ever eaten. It's one of the few places I have eaten here that I would go back to every day for brunch or afternoon tea.

• Visited August 2011
Gabidiego
“AMAZING cakes, you must go here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

You absolutely must visit this tea room. The food was brilliant and the service was excellent. If you want to treat a girly friend then take her here. I think they also do afternoon tea and cakes which would be really special and perfect for a few friends spoiling themselves. The Chocolate Biscuit cake is a must but anything that you have will be lovely because they said it's all freshly baked. I wish I could visit more often but I live in Yorkshire so it's only a rare treat when I return to Ireland.

• Visited February 2011
London, United Kingdom
“Higgledy, piggledy cuteness a real treat.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

Came across this wee tea room by pure chance as we were walking around Galway City. It was a welcome find; with it's quirky and delightful window display of dangling china cups and quaint flower bud lace curtains. Upon entering, it feels like you're visiting Grannies front room, small enough to allow you to feel at home.
There are many tea rooms like this all over the UK, so it was a delight to find one following the trend in Galway. The tea room was continually full with a smooth flow of customers during our visit. We were served fairly quickly, they weren't in a rush and neither were we. The scones we had were light, maybe a bit on the small side and I'd have preferred mine warmed given the choice. Clotted cream would have been better suited also - the cream served was too light so it made me 'think' of squirty cream from a can and the serving of strawberry jam seemed a tad on the stingy side although to be fair we didn't ask for more. Tea and cake is traditionally seen as a 'treat' to oneself, on delivery it should feel like you're spoiling the customer rather than just giving enough... The loose tea choices on the menu were broad, didn't disappoint and great these are for sale. Although upon serving loose tea, a silver tea strainer is way prettier and traditional than serving in a modern disposable bag, that hangs rather cumbersomely outside of the tea pots lid. And I spied a few rather ugly tea pots with cows painted on them - these looked from the wrong decade I'd get rid or hide these under a tea cosy!
Shabby chic was the theme of the decor; Pastel coloured painted walls, mis-matching chairs, pretty china tea sets to enjoy your tea from. Couple of things I'd suggest could be changed. These suggestions are aesthetic ones but as the ambience of the room relies dominantly on how it makes the customer feel, then I'd say these points weigh high on keeping that sense of 'special treat' feeling to the customer. There were two clocks on the walls which were oddly ugly and from the wrong decade again so they didn't fit the 'quaint' theme at all. There were also some 1980's faded framed art prints on the walls that were a tad strange in choice...Changing these few things would only benefit the business.

On the more positive side the room felt lived in, homely and warm with welcome. Nothing felt too overly precious, allowing you to feel that nice relaxed feeling that's important if you're wanting to draw in a good cross section of both locals and tourists. Dainty, appealing and informal Cupan Tae is definitely my chintzy table cloth covered Galway tea room of choice. I give it 7 and a half out of 10. Make the changes and it's with out doubt 10 out of 10!

• Visited July 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“What a find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

We loved this tea room so much we made 2 visits and wished we'd had time for more. Lovely service, lovely china, gorgeous food. As well as yummy cakes, we had a very tasty lunch and very reasonably priced too. You can't leave without a cake though. Try the courgette and lime sponge cake...it tasted wonderful!

• Visited May 2011