“Fantastic meal!!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #186 of 355 Restaurants in Galway
Cuisines: European, Irish, Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: Restaurant gigi's offers an extensive Irish menu with a European, particularly French influence, inspired by the use of the very best local ingredients and seasonal produce. Guests can savour a salubrious taste of the West of Ireland – an experience coupled with discreet, yet attentive service. From decadent á la carte dining in the restaurant, through private in-room dining to a more relaxed experience in the signature lounges, food is at the heart of the g with menu options to suit all occasions.
Ireland
“Fantastic meal!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

We were staying in the hotel and added dinner for €45pp for 3 courses.

When we arrived it was busy, although lots of empty tables for two, so a waitress asked us to take a seat in the bar. We sat there and watched 2 couples arrive & were escorted to their seats. Each time the waitress who asked us to take a seat spoke to the manager and apologised to us but by the time the 2nd couple were escorted in I wasn't waiting any longer and stood and waited to be seated. Although the waitress apologised to us when the manager finally came to seat us she never mentioned it.

This set aside the food was delicious! We had scallops for starters and steak for mains, both were delicious. My dessert of baked alaska was one of the best desserts I've ever had.

Cocktails are certainly overpriced at €12.50. If they were €9.95 I think I'd have had a few but the mental block of spending €12.50 stopped me at 1. They also have a 2 for 1 on prosecco cocktails but they are just a glass of prosecco with a syrup through them and no really a proper cocktail.

As most people have said the decor is fab, one of the best I've ever seen -although there's nothing amazing in the bedrooms. The lounge area is getting a little rough, chairs needing touching up & carpet stained.

I still love this hotel and would come back every week if only I could afford it!!!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Galway, Galway, Ireland
“Bad Service, bad food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

It was a friend of mines graduation in the G hotel last week, so was my first time in this hotel. The hotel itself was nice with lovely colour and decor, but the service and the meal was poor. The potatoes and veg did not come out until about 15 minutes after the main course, which by then the main course had been eaten. getting the waiter's attention was very hard, it actually looked like they ignored us. The icing on the cake for me was when we were paying for the bill (all which was paid for individually as everyone's meal was different prices) after we all paid our bill, when my friend was leaving they told her that there was still a balance of 54euro left to pay, they had obviously not recorded everyone's payments and made a big mistake. My friend had to pay this extra 54euro even though it was clearly a mistake due to the staff. Very disappointing eveing, will never set foot in the place again.

Derbyshire
“Quality of the food is not as should be for a hotel restaurant like this.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Evening Meal
My wife and I stayed at the hotel for 3 nights and on the first night decided to eat in the Gigi’s restaurant at the hotel. First impressions we good and the décor and atmosphere we encouraging. I ordered fish and chips expecting something fantastic but was disappointed to get soggy chips that looked and tasted no better than supermarket oven chips and two pieces of fish that were equally tasteless and mushy and certainly didn’t look or taste like fresh fillets. My wife had a chicken dish but again it could only be described as average pub food. I complained to the restaurant manager and in fairness to him he did agreed not to charge me for the fish and chips.

Afternoon Tea
On the third day we decided that we would try afternoon tea as surely that would be ok. The standard offering of sandwiches were not to my taste as they were not traditional being pizza and the like. I therefore asked if I could have a more traditional offering, ham, cheese etc expecting some small finger sandwiches, instead I got a sandwich complete with crust consisting of ham and cheese. The rest of the tea was average but nothing special. What was disappointing was that we got one small pot of tea between us ( a cup each) with no hot water jug and had to attract the attention of a waiter to get a refill. All in all not worth the money and very disappointing.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Ireland
“Should be better.....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We decided to visit the G Hotel as the high point, from a culinary perspective, of our Easter visit to Galway.

When going out to eat, I hope for good food, great service and an interesting location. With the G Hotel, I got 2 out of 3.

The interior of the hotel is designed by the well-known Irish milliner, Philip Treacy - and he has achieved a remarkable environment......combining the eclectic with the stylish and arriving at a point which is entirely memorable. I suspect that half the visitors to the hotel are checking out the interior and you are not left disappointed.

We had chosen to eat in one of the lounges as we were a party of six with two children. We ordered aperitifs including a Kir - of which the member of staff had never heard. When it was explained what the contents were, her initial reaction was to tell us that they didn't have it - I assume she was talking about the cassis. Given the boutique nature of the hotel, we persuaded her to check with the bar staff and sure enough the Kir arrived some minutes later. A surprising start to the evening given the 5 star nature of the establishment.

Our order was taken without a hitch but when starters arrived my daughter's (6) main course was also delivered. Given that she was having garlic bread first, her main course of chicken goujons and chips was cold when she had finished her bread. I called over a male member of staff who was particularly professional and polite in dealing with our problem and said that he would raise it with the management. The dish was returned some minutes later by the restaurant manager who apologised and informed us that it had been started again from scratch and not re-heated. So, well done to the management in sorting out this issue in an efficient and professional manner.

When the main courses arrived, they were brought out on a mobile trolley. The only problem was that the starters hadn't been cleared and you coudl see the waitress, as she approached, trying to work out how she was going to decant the main courses and clear the starters simultaneously! In the end she opted for clearing the starters first which meant that all the main courses stayed on her trolley for another 3-4 minutes as she cleared up. As no-one had cleared the starters, the cutlery had also not been replaced - so, when the main courses were placed before us we then had to ask for some cutlery. My knife was handed to me blade first!

These may all seem like small points but when you position yourself at the top end of the scale the service must support that claim. All the staff were extremely pleasant and personable, it just appeared that, of the four members of staff we experienced, only two of them had received any training.

The food was pretty good but, as you can see from my review, was overshadowed by the patchy service.

I wouold recommend it for the location and the food,......and hopefully, everyone has been trained by the time you decide to visit.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Anglesey
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Loved the decor and layout. Lighting was too dark. Separate children's menu was good and had variety with good sized portions. Our food was very mediocre. I had a Salad of Air Dried Ham & Roasted Pistatchios to start which was too big for a starter. Quite tasty but the Sherry Wine Vinaigrette was very overpowering. My main course was Baked Fillet of Atlantic Salmon on a saffron risotto with smoked bacon,asparagus spears, lemon emulsion and a tempura Clarinbridge Oyster. Portion size was good but it was stodgy and bland. Completely under seasoned and you couldn't distinguish any of the flavours. The Cheese course was divine. Service was shoddy. Serving us adults before the well behaved but fidgety children was unusual. We had to ask for the wine list a couple of times. When we ordered port with the cheeses it never arrived. When you pay big prices you expect superb food, excellent service and good attention to detail. Wouldn't eat here again.

Visited March 2013