“Galway Races” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #90 of 187 Galway B&B and Inns
Kenmare, Kerry, Ireland
“Galway Races”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

Me and a friend recently stayed at this b and b! It has a perfect location. so close to the centre of town. The room we stayed in was amazing. We were provided with a fridge and a personal safe which was excellent! although it was a little on the expensive side but that was to be expected for race week! if i was going back to galway i would def stay here. oh breakfast was amazing too and the lady that checked us in was really hepful giving us a map of galway city. They also obliged to store our bags after we had checked out so we could go shopping and didnt have to carry them with us! Def worth a stay!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I stayed here in June 2012 for a two night weekend break. Galway was very busy that weekend so we ended up paying top dollar for this quite average B&B. On arrival we were shown to our room (Room 5) which turned out to be extremely small. The en-suite "bathroom" is barely the size of a wardrobe. In fairness the manager on duty for the weekend accommodated our request to change rooms the next day, so we got a much bigger room for our second night. The location is hand for town and or the university and the free car parking is an added bonus.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

My husband and I and our teenage daughters recently stayed at the Desota House B&B. It was within walking distance to the city centre, restaurants, etc. The rooms were clean and although they aren't large, they are fine if you are just planning on sleeping and bathing. Breakfast was very good and the staff was very helpful in providing directions to places we wanted to see. One outstanding recommendation was to go to the local pub called Cookes Thatch Bar - the music was great! The only small complaint I had was that the hair dryer they provided wouldn't stay on without holding down the "on" button--just a small irritation. I'd also point out that they only provide body wash, no shampoo or lotion. The also don't provide wash cloths, which I guess is common.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Western Ireland, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

We booked this b&b last minute and were unable to make our trip due to an injury. When we called to sort it all out they demanded the full price even though we were not staying and had booked the night previously. They were incredibly rude about it all. I'm pleased to say we couldn't go as when we spoke with the owner, Ray, he mentioned that they continually had relatives of the recently deceased staying with them due to the fact that they were 5 mins away from the hospital. I have no qualms with this but feel it should be mentioned in their advertisement. As a young couple going for a fun night out in Galway city this was incredibly off putting. We booked through booking.com and they tried to sort it all out for us. After speaking with them we were told the b&b's do not in fact pay a penny to advertise, yet Ray said that they would be charged regardless from booking.com.(a ploy to make us feel responsible!) Booking.com called us back within 30 minutes saying that the owner ray would be calling us to sort it out. No call, and two days later an e-mail saying we didn't attend and demanding the price yet again. Needless to say we will not be re-booking with this particular place again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

I stayed two nights at the Desota, and was very pleased. The owner and staff were friendly and helpful. The room was clean and comfortable, and there was even a mini-fridge. This was a nice little extra for someone who was travelling for a couple of weeks and wanted to have something other than restaurant or junk food. I was travelling by bus and needed to take a taxi from the bus station, but without my suitcase it wasn't a long walk into the downtown area. I would recommend the Desota to friends and family who are travelling to Galway.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Galway, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

When our plans changed unexpectedly, we were in Galway for the night with no place to stay. I called this B&B at 10pm, and while the owner was closing up and leaving for the evening, he was kind enough to leave us a key and instructions at the front door. The house has been restored and has a lovely updated interior. Our double room (#6) was on the second floor and had a great bathroom with a large shower with lots of hot water! There was a television in our room, tea making facilities, and a desk. There was also wireless internet throughout, including in our room. The bed was also very comfortable. Breakfast in the morning was great--a full breakfast (including cereals, yogurts, breads, fruits, tea, coffee, and juices) with 4 different cooked choices to choose from, including a vegetarian option, and a full or half Irish breakfast. The location is also a short walk to NUIG (the local university). I would definitely stay here without any hesitation in the future. Finally, I thought the price was very reasonable for two people including breakfast--it was half the price of the local 4 star hotel in Eyre Square.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Barcelona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

I stayed in Desota house just for one night in January and it was lovely! When I booked it I thought it would be just another B&B with old furniture and cheap price. But just when I arrived I realised how modern and well equipped it was. It seems like it has been refubished recently. Everything is kept great conditions. The room, the toilet, the whole house in general is nice, clean, neat and really cosy. The heating was on at all times so it was great to feel warm after experiencing the cold and wet Irish weather.

The location is unbeatable. Right beside the University and the Hospital, literally five minutes walk to the Cathedral. In a busy but quiet road. With a few take aways, pubs, and local shops right beside it. Ideal for people who want to be in a quiet area that is surrounded by all kind of amenties and within walking distance to the city centre.

There is also wifi and a computer complimentary for all the guests. I thought it was a great idea as most B&Bs don't really have that option at all.

The breakfast room was lovely too. There were several options for breakfast, cooked breakfast or a kind of "help yourself" section with cereal, fruit, yoghurts, juice, different types of bread, etc.

I just loved it and taking into account I only payed 45 euro I was not expecting so many things. Many other B&Bs would charge you 20 euro more and wouldn't have so many things on offer.

The only negative point (well, not so negative) that I could find is that breakfast is only served from 8.30 to 9.30. Many other places have one hour and half or even too it felt like I had to rush a little. But anyway, it's not such a big deal, I guess that there is no point to serve breakfast for two hours when the house has only 10 rooms and there's not that many people staying.

All in all, my short stay in Desota House. Simple B&B but modern, clean and neat. Very good value for money! I would definitely stay there again :)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

Been to Desota House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!