“"Always a Banker"” 4 of 5 stars

Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Claregalway
“"Always a Banker"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We had a very good service on a early evening, went for the classic favourites,
Seafood chowder, BBQ pork than Vegetarian pancakes and Monkfish in garlic cream sauce.
We have never ever had a problem here.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Arabic first
“Disappointing due to staff”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I went here for lunch yesterday as it was highly recommended by a friend. The atmosphere was pretty good until the waitress showed up to take our order. Clearly hungover she was impatient and had a really bad attitude, which I found to be very off putting. Not only that, but I had clearly stated that I was gluten and dairy intolerant and she did check (much to her dismay) with the chef as to what I could eat from the menu, but when my food came out with another waitress there was feta cheese on my chicken salad. When I asked the waitress about the cheese she mentioned the diary intolerance was not specified on the order. I had to wait a further five minutes just for the cheese to be picked off!! Needless to say I will not be returning. It is such a pity that one waitress can make or break the reputation of an establishment such as that. The fact that she was an American waitress was very surprising as usually American waitresses are exceptionally friendly and welcoming.

Visited May 2013
St. Andrews, United Kingdom
“My favourite Galway restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

This is my favourite Galway restaurant and I couldn't visit Galway without having at least one meal in McSwiggans. However, since sometimes it is full, I always book a table the day before if possible. It has an extensive menu which now seems better value than it did a few years ago. Fish and chips is now priced at €16 while a few years ago fish was €17.50 with chips extra. Service is always helpful and quite quick. The restaurant has lots of different eating areas so, although it must cater for large numbers, one is usually in a small area. I had the McSwiggans
chicken special which is chicken breast wrapped in Parma ham and stuffed with cream cheese - really delicious. Chips come with the meal but vegetables have to be ordered separately - don't forget this since the waitress probably won't ask about vegetables if you don't mention them. It was a filling meal but the sweets looked so god we were all tempted. I had the trio of ice creams which, although it doesn't sound that exciting, had superb flavours.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dublin, Ireland
“Lovely Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I've eaten in the restaurant here many times but this time I just had lunch in the pub part. It was such good value but great quality food. I've often found the restaurant part to be pricey but the pub was great value. Upstairs is very comfortable and you can sit and relax with a drink after your lunch. They have a range of specials on every day from €6.95 so you can easily get a lunch and a drink for a little over €10.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dublin
“A great find in busy Galway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

My boyfriend had been to McSwiggans before on a previous trip so he recommended it. I imagagined it to be a small restaurant upstairs in a bar however I was pleasantely surprised when I saw how spacious and beautifully decorated it was. I had booked before we came to Galway and we were glad as there was a queue of people waiting for a table. We had a drink while we were waiting and we shown to our table up on the third floor. The service was excellent and the food was delicious. We were in no rush to leave so we had a very relaxing meal. The portions were very generous - you certainly would not come out hungry but so tasty at the same time. I will definitely be back to McSwiggans next time I visit Galway!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere