“Well worth a visit.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #68 of 328 Restaurants in Galway
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Irish, Seafood, Pasta
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dessert, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Carlow, Carlow, Ireland
“Well worth a visit.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

Excellent food but it was the welcome and service that really set Martine's apart. Sean at front of house was particularly good and everyone should try his cocktails! Will definitely be going back.

Courtmacsherry
“Most enjoyable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

We dined in Martines this week, excellent food, good atmosphere, pleasant staff and very good value. Four diners, four different meals, one conclusion -excellent food all round and very good service. Will certainly plan to return.

• Visited December 2013
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
“Delicious food, great location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Ate here with a colleague on a business trip, we picked it by chance really as it was local to the hotel we were staying in. I had 2 courses and both were exceptionally good - even things I don't usually like (rocket side salad for example) were really tasty.

Service was good, staff were friendly and food was seriously good.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chicago
“Missed the mark on all. Careless and distracted. Choose another.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Visited after considering several recommended top restaurants. Selected based on daily specials. We asked if they were serving what was offered on the outdoor menu board, and were told yes and invited in.
We ordered, our food came and we were told the menu outside was written wrong and we would not be getting what we came in for and asked for: lemon asparagus risotto. At first we were told it was our mistake?!, and then later on his own the server apologized.
Dessert: Creme brûlée came out awful. The top was too thick to break, literally! The bottom was complete liquid that squirted out the sides leaving a hard sugar rock on top. We returned it. The chef apologized. It should have never left the kitchen.
Walls need cleaning.
This restaurant seemed to be " resting on it's laurels" or the manager is on vacation.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Galway, Ireland
“Excellent Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

Myself and three friends booked a table here on a whim, we had heard good things about the restaurant and decided to judge for ourselves. From the moment we entered, we were made to feel welcome, our coats were taken immediately and we were given menus, water and informed of the specials without delay. I must say the service there was second to none, myself and my friends all with work or have worked in the service industry and therefore can be heard to please (I won't lie!!) however, there were no causes for even contemplating a complaint here.
I had the wood pigeon, it was my first time sampling this dish and it was delicious, I followed that with the salmon, which was so fresh and cooked perfectly, it was actually the best fillet of salmon I've ever had and that's saying something!I have a severe allergy to dairy (not lactose intolerance a full blown allergy), our waitress could not have been more accommodating in relation to this, offering me a supplementation for anything that contained dairy and ensuring nothing containing dairy products made contact with my dishes, she did this without drawing attention and with the minimum of fuss (unlike other establishments I could mention!!), which was gratefully appreciated.
My guests opted for the goats cheese salad starter and the fish cake starter (all our starters and mains were from the early bird menu- two courses for €20, rib-eye steak was €5 supplement), they then followed these with either the rib eye steak or salmon. We were all incredibly impressed with the quality of our food.
The restaurant was full but that did not take from the atmosphere at all. The staff remained calm and therefore the noise levels did not reach "din", I really think that when staff run around like headless chickens, which is totally unnecessary, that it has a negative impact on the ambiance. It was really comfortable and from what we could see, the other diners were just as relaxed as we were.
The only low point, is that you've to walk into the foyer and upstairs to use the facilities and get caught by a sharp breeze but this is wholly structural and does not detract from the overall experience.
We'll be back before long, highly recommend a visit!