“blown out of proportion "drug house" review” 5 of 5 stars

Aaron House B&B
25 College Road, Galway, Ireland (Formerly A Aaron B & B)   |
Ranked #143 of 187 Galway B&B and Inns
Cork, Ireland
“blown out of proportion "drug house" review”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I also stayed in the b and b the night the garda were there. I was staying in the room in question with three of my friends and yes they were smoking a joint so there was a smell. The Garda got a phone call from another customer who blew the whole thing out of proportion and said it was a "Drug House". They arrived on the scene expecting a huge raid and broke down the door. We were not arrested they simply searched the room and asked anyone if they had anything on them. Someone then owned up to having 2 euros worth of cannabis and the garda laughed and were totally fine, nobody has been charged and everything was ok with them. they realised the caller had blown the situation out of proportion. We offered our sincerest apologies to the owners and their son who were lovely and we offered to pay for the door. we had stayed there three nights and found it a fantastic spot, being so close to eyre square. the owners were very helpful and the rooms were comfortable and perfect for our stay. Unfortunately the situation was blown out of proportion but it has been rectified and the garda were also understanding of the situation.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I stayed here recently and had the worst experience of my life. I got back from a nice dinner to a strong and very obvious smell of drugs, so my boyfriend phoned the owner of the B & B (the wicked witch doesn't live at the house), and explained the situation, she told him "so what, what do you want me to do about it?" He explained to her that we paid 89euro for the room and do not expect the smell of drugs and that he would ring the police if she didnt take action, she replied "go on, they wont do anything". Little did she think that he would ring the police, they were very efficient and came round within minutes. They too could smell drugs, so they got a warrant to search the place. Unsurprisingly, they found quantities of drugs in the room upstairs, after banging down the door and drilling all the cupboards off the wall. When this all finished, around 4am, the police told us to get some rest and they would contact the owner at 7am. In the morning, we went down to speak to the owner, she acted oblivious to the situation, and told my boyfriend he was 'mental' and asked him to get off her property. He refused to leave, after all we had paid for the accommodation until 11am and it was only 8am. Then the owner's husband arrived and called my boyfriend '[--] touched'. As well as the son arriving, who asked "can we not sleep with the smell of a joint". Overall, was horrible. I had 6 friends just about to book there for September when they visit Galway and have told them it would be the worst thing they could do, so now they are going to another one a few doors down. Dont ever stay here. Another bed and breakfast down the road also told us that the owners have a bad background relating to drugs - please avoid!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Ena B, Owner at Aaron House B&B, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
We normally don’t respond to reviews as everyone is entitled to their opinion but we feel that we must contest this as it is complete slander against us and full of inaccuracies. As there were no witnesses to the conversation between your boyfriend and the owner, we will not repeat what was said. Suffice to say, the only reason the owner didn’t go over to the B&B (the owners live next door) was because of the manner in which your boyfriend spoke to the owner. Instead, the owners got up and checked the cameras and stayed up for an hour. As there was no movement in the house and no one else rang to express concern, the owners went back to bed.

The following morning, you did not come down at 8am, as this is when we start breakfast and the dining room is usually empty. You came down at closer to 9am when the dining room was half full and you didn’t speak to the owner, you spoke to a member of staff who was oblivious to the situation. Your boyfriend asked the member of staff if she knew what had gone on in the house the night before and she said no. He then very aggressively proceeded to announce that there was drugs in the house and he wasn’t happy as his wife was three months pregnant. When the staff member had no idea of what he was talking about, he stormed into the dining room, waving his arms and loudly declaring that there was drugs in the house.

The staff member asked him to calm down and come out of the dining room as he was upsetting the other guests and he declared that they had a right to know what was happening. He was being very loud and intimidating and the staff member told him that if he didn’t calm down he would be asked to leave. He said that he had every right to be here as he had paid for the room for the night and he was told that he had every right to be here until management refused him that right and if he didn’t calm down, he would be asked to leave.

Eventually he agreed to come into reception until the police came and sorted out the situation. The staff member asked both him and you to take a seat and both refused. The staff member said it would be better for a pregnant woman to take a seat while waiting but neither of you would sit down and chose to stand in the doorway of reception. The staff member went up to the room at the centre of the controversy and asked the guests in the room what was going on. The door had been forced in (no cupboards had been drilled off the wall) and the guests said the police had broke down the door looking for drugs, hadn’t found any and left. As all the guests were in the room and no one had been arrested, the staff member only had their word to go on. When the staff member relayed this to you are your boyfriend, she was told that she was lying. She pointed out that all she was doing was repeating what she was told and until the police came, there was nothing more she could do.

After the police came and spoke to both the owners and yourselves, you then had breakfast. However, you didn’t eat the breakfast and left without saying a word so the matter was left unresolved. Had you stayed and talked the situation through, we could have explained that the guests in the room in question admitted they had smoked a joint to the police but under no circumstances had the hash been provided by us. We do not condone drug use (even smoking is banned) and it is completely untrue that we have a reputation with drugs. We have been in business for over forty years and have run Public Houses, nightclubs and hostels and we have never had any complaints with drugs. Should you or anyone else wish to confirm this, please contact Millstreet Garda station in Galway on +353 91 538 000.

While it is your right to express that you had a bad experience staying in our B&B, it is completely unfair to make out that we run some sort of drugs den. We would like to point out that no other guest had any complaint with us and in fact many left their contact details after they were shocked at your boyfriend’s outburst in the dining room. One couple who were on the same floor as the room in question enjoyed their three night stay so much that they stayed an extra night. If Aaron House was indeed a drug house run by rude and incompetent people, I doubt they would have stayed one more night, never mind extra nights. It is unfortunate that your friends will not be staying with us in September, as if they did, they would see that clearly we are not a drugs house and simply a family run B&B with friendly and helpful staff.
Bicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

My husband & I stayed here for 2 nights during the Volvo Ocean Race weekend so paid well over the odds (like any B&B in Galway that weekend). The location was excellent, only 5 minutes into town and 10 minutes to the marina and with free parking (you may need to leave your car keys with them though as they do need to shuffle them around when it's busy). The hotel was rather tired looking and could do with new carpets. Our room was very small and the bathroom was so tiny, it was difficult to dry off after having a shower and there was no soap in the dispenser. Having said that, the bed was comfortable and we slept fairly well and the hosts were friendly. Breakfast was OK but I'd personally look elsewhere if I was to visit Galway again.

Room Tip: Rooms B & C were very small - try to avoid these.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

We too were here for a night as part of a Paddywagon Tour. The B&B - a converted residence - is on a main road along with a string of other B&B's and is a short walk from the heart of town. We found the place homey and quiet - even in the morning when one might expect heavier traffic on the road. We slept well. The room, while spatan and a bit cramped, was on the second floor at the front of the house with a large bay window overlooking the street. It had one double bed and another bed in a corner. There was a small corner shelf with an electric kettle, 2 cups, tea bags, instant coffee & sugar - but nothing to stir things with. The bathroom, small & clean, was just behind that. I fell in love with the Tiffany style lamp in the dining area. The breakfast was standard but I liked the way my scrambled eggs arrived. It was ok, but not the most charming place we stayed in.

Room Tip: For a budget accomodation it was quite acceptable. Try to get the room with the front bay window.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Cebu Island, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Having spent the last 40+ years living and travelling all over the World, I would put this on my 'A' list. Great hospitality.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

We stayed here for one night as part of our Paddywagon Tour (ten day All Ireland, highly recommended). The B & B is on College Road along with a string of other accommodations and is a 10 minute or so walk to the heart of town.

The only noise we encountered while we were here was from some youngsters walking down the street in the wee hours of the morning. Other guests in the B & B were quiet while we were there.

Our room was on the upper level and at the front of the house with a large bay window. It had one double bed and another bed in a corner. There was a small corner shelf with a kettle, cups, tea bags, instant coffee, etc. The bathroom was small and not overly clean but not disgusting either. There was a bar of previously used soap still in the soapdish in the shower.

The breakfast was unremarkable. We don't know the price of Aaron House because it was part of our package, so can't commend on value for money. It was ok, but not one of the charming places we stayed in.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

Very shocked to read the reviews as I stayed in Aaron House a couple of weeks ago and have no complaints....and I am not easily pleased! ;-)
I was travelling from Dublin to Galway for a course which began at 11am and I contacted the owners a few days before who were so nice and had no problem with me leaving my car at the B&B when I arrived in Galway at 10.30! They also let me leave my car there all day after I checked out the following morning until my course finished at 5.30pm.
The breakfast was lovely, a full Irish and had little extra's like mushrooms and beans also.
Seamus the owner was full of chat and very welcoming.
I am returning to galway next week for yet another course and I am staying in Aaron house again as it is an ideal location and lovely B&B.
I think the previous comments were from people expecting a hotel for a B&B rate!!!
I certainly can't fault the place anyway.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to Aaron House B&B? Share your experiences!