“Anglers Return Connemara” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Anglers Return

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in County Galway
The Anglers Return
You added The Anglers Return to your Saves list
Toombeola | Roundstone, Connemara, Ireland   |
Ranked #136 of 422 County Galway B&B and Inns
Duleek, Ireland
“Anglers Return Connemara”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

This is a one-in-a-million place to stay.....
I'm just home after 3 days in the Anglers Return and have to put the experience on the record!
A beautiful period lodge, full of character, lovely unique furniture, log fires and stoves and a very warm welcome from proprietor Lynn.
I was given a choice of 3 bedrooms. All were elegant as well as very comfortable-looking and each was very different to the next. I really had difficulty choosing. I decided to take one without an ensuite.....and that's how I discovered the best bath in Ireland! A big, long cast iron beauty that I luxuriated in after each day's hiking. Bliss.
Although this is a B&B, I was encouraged to hang out as much as I liked, enjoy the sitting room fire and borrow a book if necessary. A cup of tea and cake was also on offer.
There is an old-world feel to the place that tempts you to abandon your plans and just curl-up indoors for the day - it really is a break from your real world. There aren't too many places like this.
Breakfast was delicious, with the emphasis on organic and healthy fare and endless pots of tea. No doubt about it, they seek to please.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Princeton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

This has been my favourite place to stay for many years, and this year was no exception. This is for people who want a genuine experience of real Ireland, not just another hotel or generic B&B. I count this as one of the most beautiful houses and gardens in Ireland; the proprietress has an eye for beauty and style of the old-fashioned, cosy kind that has nearly been lost these days. The breakfasts are healthy and hearty, there are open fires and wood stoves to keep warm and views out over the river or back up over the lovely gardens or looking out on the cobblestone yard where the hens wander during the day. Give me a breakfast of fresh free-range eggs and Lynn's homemade soda bread and granola and fresh fruit and yogurt any day over the greasy meat-laden Irish breakfast on offer at most B&B's. She is the warmest, kindest host imaginable and continues to do wonders with this old house of great character which is a true gem. Not to be missed.

Room Tip: I have, over the years stayed in every room in this house, either with my partner or daughter. I hav...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

A lovely quaint guest house but that where it ends. Value for money is appalling.We stayed at the guest house for one night as we were attending a friends wedding at Ballynahinch Castle and they were fully booked.We arrived on the Saturday and literally checked in and changed and set off for the wedding.Our room was cold and we had to share the bathroom down the hall with other guests.The landlady said we could have breakfast at 8.15 the following morning and as we were getting the bus back to Galway she would drop us at canal bridge which was at most 2 miles from the guest house.We arrived down early for breakfast and when it arrived it consisted of 2 rashers an egg and half a tomato.Considering we paid €118 for bed and breakfast I felt this was very poor.Apparently the landlady felt the sausages would have taken too long.I can only imagine thats why we also missed out on black pudding or all the other expected items in a cooked breakfast!! When it came time to check out my husband said he would offer €5 for the lift to the bus.I felt this was generous considering the cost of the one night stay and the very poor breakfast.He said to the landlady to take the €5 and she said "well things are very expensive around here so I'll take €10 if thats ok with you".I was livid but what could I say.She then drove us to the bus stop .It was raining and we had 15 minutes to wait for the bus.She said "Well I suppose I could drop you a little further along to the shop where theres some shelter but thats another 3 miles,oh god what should I do.I feel terrible but I should get back to my other guests" and with that she proceeded to get our bags out of the boot!!! I'm 5 and a half months pregnant and she knew it.Irish hospitality my eye. This woman should have worn a balaclava and then she could have robbed me properly.Absolutely fuming!!!!!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Lynn H, Owner at The Anglers Return, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
I am very sad and upset that someone has had such a bad experience here, when I have always worked hard to make guests welcome, comfortable and happy. It matters so much to me - this lovely old period house is my life's work and love, and I want nothing more than to see others enjoy it - I take pride in this. In the many years since I opened as a Bed & Breakfast I have never had a complaint. Quite to the contrary, I have hundreds of repeat guests, many returning happily year after year.

With specific reference to Eadin, I can only say that I very much regret your bad experience and that I am prepared to refund you the money you spent here, even though I do not accept your version of some/most of the incidents you describe.

I do accept that the house might have seemed a little cold, but it is an old Victorian fishing lodge, which is not normally open in December. However, I agreed to open especially to accommodate some of the wedding party and had heaters in every room, and cosy electric blankets on all day & night.

Regarding the car journey - I left the house and other guests, who were not yet down for breakfast, in order to help this couple catch the bus (Canal Bridge 5 miles away, round trip 10 miles) as they had not organised a taxi.
I went out of my way to get them to the bus, if I had not, they would have missed their plane. They were definitely not “thrown out” in the rain. I insisted on taking them to the shop 3 miles further on, but they refused. I was concerned about the other guests waiting for breakfast, but I still wanted to take them further up the road for shelter.

I feel I gave them the best possible attention & service, even worrying about their plane the night before & ensuring that they had checked on bus times.
I did not offer sausages, as there were time constraints to get them to the bus, and I did not want to cause any delay.

All my other reviews speak volumes about The Anglers Return and truly reflect the essence and care that guests receive here.
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

My family have been coming to Connemara for more than ten years and this was our second time staying here and we'll be back again. Great food, lovely room and a wonderful welcome. A must for anyone visiting this part of the country who likes something special.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Mornington, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

We want to keep this one a secret ! We don't want the entire world to know how beautiful this place is, it's only for special people !
We spent 5 idyllic nights here and it was superb. The breakfasts were amazing, the beds blissful, you could even hear the gentle plop of trout biting in the river opposite ( which is like silk to swim in ! ) We relied on recommendations from the lovely Lynn,where to eat, where to bathe, where to walk, and we loved it all. Lynn's home is wonderful and her hospitality went beyond the expected ( thanks for the loan of the sun hat, and calamine lotion !!)
We had the most relaxing holiday and will be back, some day ! That's a threat and a promise Lynn :) A truly exceptional B&B.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here a few times over the years and it is a wonderful place to stay. If you want to stay in a place with bags of character and atmosphere as I do, then this is the place to go to. The rooms are lovely and you just want to sit by the fire enjoying the atmosphere. It's peaceful and calming. The garden is gorgeous and it is great to have such a nice space to spend time in. Lynn is a terrific host and shows marvellous attention to detail. Breakfast is very good. The only drawback I would say is that it is a little bit pricey.

• Stayed July 2012
Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Beautiful house and grounds, very nice stay. Shower a little small but room was very nice. The twin mattress in my room was a little worn out but other than that liked the place very well. Lynn was nice and I wish I would have had a chance to spend more time in the garden and visiting with the dog but the weather was a little cool and the grounds a little wet. Would loved to have stayed longer. Breakfast was good and enjoyed a nice fire the night before I left.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Anglers Return? Share your experiences!