“Lovely hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Royal Marine Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Marine Road, Dun Laoghaire, Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Dun Laoghaire
Certificate of Excellence 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
  • Turkish first
North Liberty, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Very nice looking hotel inside and out. Unfortunately the staff there was not nice. there was maybe 1 front desk worker that was nice, the rest were rude and inconsiderate. This hotel was meant for business travelers and they tried to present there selves as an upscale hotel, which I assure you they were not. The beds where comfortable and it was close to the train station. It was clean and the staff dressed nice that was about the extent of the up scale service. The breakfast was way over priced, If you want a GREAT breakfast go to the Corner Note Café in Dalkey about 5 min away. great little village and the food was awesome. Dalkey has many very nice restaurants. The Royal Marine was not the Bellagio or the Venetian in Vegas as they tried to portray. I have stayed in comfort inns that were better than this. As Americans traveling to Ireland for vacation I do NOT recommend this hotel. Hardy's bar in the Hotel was very nice looking, the staff there was the worst I have ever experienced in my life. we would sit a table with our group of 6 while there were maybe 2 other people in the whole place and it took us 20 min apx for someone to take our order, EVERYTIME we went in there. so after the first couple days, we spent our money at other local establishments where the people were great. I recommend going to Walters which is right around the corner. Awesome people and bartenders. Jon the bartender was great and very friendly.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
ManagerRoyalMarine, General Manager at Royal Marine Hotel, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Dear Lexie D,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was very disappointed to read both the title and content of your review as it is is completely contrary to the level of service that we are providing and endeavoring to provide on a daily basis in the hotel.

I would be interested to know why you felt the hotel portrayed itself as the Bellagio or the Venetian in Las Vegas. We are somewhat familiar with both hotels and I do not see any similarities in how these hotels portray themselves and how the Royal Marine portrays itself. We do not try to portray ourselves like any other hotel in the world as we are a historically unique hotel property in a unique coastal location in Ireland. The Royal Marine Hotel is a distinctive brand in itself and we have our own set of beliefs, values and service standards that are key to how we deliver our own hospitality and service. These have not been based on standards or attitudes from any other hotel property. We are certainly not the Bellagio or The Venetian, nor do we intend to be or portray ourselevs to be this way. We do portray ourselves as a luxury hotel offering a high standard of service and facilities and everything that we do is aimed to maintain that level of service at all times. Our luxury bedrooms, our historic Bay Lounge, Dun Restaurant and Hardy's Bar, as well as our Health club and SansanaSPA are all designed as high class luxury facilities and the staff that work in these areas are also trained to a very high standard also.

The hotel is well equipped to cater for both business and leisure travelers and this is highlighted by the large amounts of business and leisure guests that we receive in the hotel throughout the year. The reviews on this forum are also a testament to that as they are written by various reviewers who have visited here for both business and leisure purposes. Our full breakfast buffet which offers a large range of choice and high quality is great value in our opinion and we regularly receive great feedback in this regard. Our staff also regularly receive high praise from our guests and I am surprised and disappointed to read your comments on our staff.

I am sorry that we did not meet with your expectations and i would be grateful for an opportunity to discuss this further with you so that we may understand fully why your expectations were not met by us. I was pleased to note however that you did rate the hotel highly with regards to cleanliness, location and sleep quality. I would be grateful if you could contact me by email at aryan@royalmarine.ie at your earliest convenience so that we may investigate fully why and where we did not meet your expectations.

In the meantime, I would like to thank you again for sharing this review on Trip Advisor and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

St. Petersburg, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

We stayed here for one week in March for our 20th anniversary. The staff is fantastic. The hotel is a stop for the AirCoach which made a quick and inexpensive trip to/from the airport. The DART is a five minute walk from the hotel. Lots of shopping nearby.

Our room as a Jr suite with water view. Shame they are building a library out front because it not only ruined the view, it will block the view when completed. Was leery of construction noise (as has been mentioned on TA), but didn't notice it at all. The bed was extremely comfortable. Any way I can buy one of those down comforters? Bathroom was large with separate whirlpool tub (awesome after a long cold day of sightseeing) and small shower. Only complaint with the bathroom was no heat in there. But we found if we took the hose off the hairdryer and laid it on the floor it would warm the bathroom quickly and efficiently. The only complaint with the room was the lighting. Even with curtains open and all lights on very, very difficult to see in there. Might want to make a lamp or two have some higher wattage lightbulbs. And the TV stations. There could be a little more variety. I know you don't go on vacation to sit in a room and watch TV, but on lazy mornings or early evenings back to the room it would have been nice to watch something other than six news channels and maybe two stations that offered anything worthwhile. And movies? Geesh...13 euros to rent a movie? That's insane.

The breakfast was good albeit predictable after the third day. Plenty of options and frequently restocked. Odd...watched one young staff member cleaning tables simply use his hands to wipe crumbs and debris from the table onto the floor and then reset with plates and silverware. Did it several times the one particular morning I was watching him. Hardys bar was decent. All food we had was good. Service slower than usual on some nights; even hard to get a beer from the bar sometimes. But everyone friendly and helpful.

Overall, would stay here again and would definitely recommend hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear flgal65,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read your positive comments on the hotel and I will certainly take all of your comments on board and provide retraining to the member of staff you observed at breakfast time.

Thank you for your nice comments on the hotel and our excellent staff and thank you for taking the time to share such a comprehensive review on your experience in the hotel on Trip Advisor.

I sincerely hope that you will have an opportunity to visit again soon and we look forward to welcoming you on your next stay with us.

San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I've stayed in the Royal Marine Hotel a number of times, and I can't fault it in anyway now. the first time I stayed was a number of years ago, and the only complaint was the Breakfast, however it has changed hands, fully refurbished, and what a Hotel it is now.
There are I believe over two hundred rooms, (think of the staff)
We as a family went to a Floor show there before Christmas( Faulty Towers if you have ever seen it on TV, it was brilliant, as was the TV show, and nearly all of us had a little role in the skit, it cost about €45.00 a head which also included a meal, that in itself was excellent)
There was also another gig going on in the main ballroom of the Hotel, I think they may have five or six Bars in the whole establishment
We as a Family decided to spend Christmas there, over the three days eve,day and boxing day, it was special for us as a family as we'd never done anything like this before, (I was nearly always the one that prepared the Christmas meals, when I lived at home)
The rooms are excellent, depending on luck, the view of Dunlaoire bay awesome if you get the front facing rooms (although there is some major construction work going on a few hundred feet away)
The meals excellent, breakfast was included in the price, however we ate our evening meals there as well. some in the main dinning area others in the lounge
Although I myself didn't partake in any of the Amenities, Swimming Pool, Gym etc, some of the family did.
The in house Lounge, Laurel and Hardy's for drinks and food is very pleasant, a little bit more expensive than some of the Locals but one expects that.
The rooms are electronically key carded, as are the lights in the room, and the main entrance door in the corridors, as with many hotels now, I mentioning this because with elderly people like my parents, it was a little bit of a complication for them, as was using the elevators, (my Mother suffering with claustrophobia)
Sadly though being the time of the year cold and wet, Christmas Day was the only dry one, it rained for the other days
The Air-coach (from the Airport) stops at this hotel, en-route to Dalkey
There is plenty to see and do along the East coast, The mainline train stops in Dunlaoire, South to Wexford, North to Dundalk, connecting to the North of Ireland, or West to Maynooth and further afield
A good time for dry reasonably warm weather in Ireland is September if the Summer turns out bad, not Guaranteed of course
One of the best Horse Racing tracks in Europe is just 5 miles or so away Leopardstown
The main Public transport systems in Dublin are naturally Buses, the Dart Trains and the Trams, LUAS, (new)
Quickest way into Dublin City or down the coast to Bray from Dunlaoire is the Dart, hardly a five minute walk from the Hotel, The Main Bus routes are the 7 and 46a the 59 goes to Kiliney Hill, the 75 to Tallagh Square ( a major shopping complex) and the 45a to Bray.
The trams are worth a trip on, (although nothing like the cable cars or trams in San Francisco) The red line goes from a place called Druids glen, ( the area historic in itself) a number 7 bus from Dublin to Cherrywood will take you within about a five minute walk from the stop, Either Cherrywood or Druids Glen, either about five minutes walk.
I rode on the Green Line tram for the first time just lately and although nothing like the speed of a roller coaster, it does have a feel of been on one, it goes though what seems like barren land for a while, dips at some stages, goes through a tunnel, and goes around a pretty sharp bend, and that was only halfway, to where I'd to go to
The Red Line travels through the City out to the Red Cow famous area famous Pub, but for the journey that I was on it for that, it was pretty flat
As always I hope you enjoy your stay in Ireland

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Front (looking at the coast) it's a few hundred feet away from the main streets...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
ManagerRoyalMarine, General Manager at Royal Marine Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear TudorY,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a comprehensive review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. Thank you for highlighting all of the positive aspects of your stay that you enjoyed and thank you for highlighting the many amenities and attractions in the area.

I hope that you will have another opportunity to visit us again soon and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back on your next visit to us.

Chatham, Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Just returned from a weekend at the royal marine. The service in all aspects was fantastic! The restaurant staff were incredibly helpful, the reception staff and the staff in the spa were also great. Nothing was too much trouble for them and they responded to any queries immediately! Treatments in the spa were lovely, just a shame there was no music during treatments, but this only detracted slightly from the experience, the therapists were fantastic! Thank you to all the staff, I will definitely stay here on my next visit to Dublin, I will definitely be back!

• Stayed March 2013
Dear katiechurch,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read all of your positive comments on the hotel and thank you for your very nice references on our staff in various areas of the hotel.

I sincerely hope that you will have an opportunity to visit us again soon.

York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Spent a week at this hotel on business, great facility's, great staff, great food, great beer. just a shame its not a bit closer to Dublin, however the dart is very convenient as it has a depot at the bottom of the road from the hotel and your in Dublin center in no time. would definitely recomend

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear Teacake_85,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read your positive comments on the hotel, staff and location following your stay with us and I hope that you will have another opportunity to visit us again soon.

Church Stretton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel many times and will return but it is not without its issues, which we have encountered again and again on our visits. We always book Executive rooms which have balconies and are very comfortable and spacious, including a nice leather settee. We always book higher floors too. However the heating system has been a problem on nearly every visit and the last time ( last weekend) was no exception. It is a warm air system, which seems to combine air conditioning. The vents are sited at the top of the wall near the ceiling and I was always taught that hot air rises so all the warm air is at ceiling height! Every visit we have had to ask the reception to override the system and reset it to get the rooms warm and this time was no exception. Also we had a stay which included 2 evening meals in the restaurant in the price. The first one was a really good meal. The second one wasn't and it was served in a roped off bit of the bar as they don't open the restaurant on Monday nights. The service was slow and the food wasn't a patch on the first nights meal. Being in the bar it was noisy and you could only reach the table by climbing about 5 rather deep steps - not good for our travelling companion who has mobility issues as well as hearing problems. The hotel has so many good things about it, it is just a shame we keep encountering the same problems. We didn't complain about the meal on our last night but perhaps we should have. We will be returning to the hotel in April and can only hope for warmer weather.

Leo the porter is a star by the way. Always pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor in the new part of the building for less noise, but nowhere near the main func...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Claire R,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. Thank you for your positive comments on the hotel and I am delighted to hear that you will be returning to us in April again. I would like to look into the issues of heating with your room as all of our rooms are individually controlled by air conditioning. I would also like to see why the meal served on the second night was not to your expectations and would be grateful if you could contact me directly at the hotel or on email at aryan@royalmarine.ie.

I look forward to hearing form you soon with any comments that you have and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in April.

Aidan Ryan

Been to Royal Marine Hotel? Share your experiences!