“An ok local cafe” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #16 of 58 Restaurants in Dun Laoghaire
Cuisines: Coffee Shop
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Description: "Poppies Country Cooking....has a sister cafe in Enniskerry. Lovely home-cooked food".
bandon, county cork
“An ok local cafe”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Poppies seems to have its following as the cafe was buzzing when we visited. I had a piece of smoked salmon quiche which I thought was just average. The veggie soup was also just ok. The location is good at the end of Dun Laoghaire main street and next to the peoples park.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
poppiescafe, Owner at Poppies Cafe, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear KilbroganHouse,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I'm sorry to hear that you thought our food was only ok, we put a lot of hard work in each and every day to ensure the quality of all of our food is at its highest - our soups, salads, and quiches are made everyday. I encourage all customers to let us know if they are happy with their meals and if not let us know so we can fix the problem immediately.
I do hope you give us another chance to impress you, I'm glad you thought both the atmosphere and the service was good

Peter Norton

“Delicious food and great staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Great place, delicious food and very friendly staff. My favourite there is lasagna and salad. Their soups are very good as well. The staff are very helpful and always with a smile on their faces. Would definitely go back.

poppiescafe, Owner at Poppies Cafe, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear Happytravellersworld,
Firstly thank you for taking the time to let both us and the world know that your experience in our cafe was a very positive one. Its good getting feedback but even better when it is so positive!!
I hope we see you again in DunLaoghaire soon

Dublin
“Omelette Free Zone”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Poppies is still a warm and welcoming place with good food but things are changing in the wrong direction. I cant get a breakfast omelette there anymore which means Poppies has joined the brigade of restaurants in the middle of Dun Laoghaire which do not serve what should be on every breakfast menu. It is also worth noting that the menu touts pancakes with "maple syrup" but when I asked I was handed a squeeze bottle of Golden Syrup which was labelled as having a "maple flavor".

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
poppiescafe, Owner at Poppies Cafe, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear Michel,
Thank you for taking the time to review us, Im glad that you find our cafe both warm and welcoming. With relation to the omelettes, you are quite correct in that we stopped selling them, on account of no-one was ordering them. As for the maple syrup, this product has increased by over 400%, I had a choice either increase our prices or find a similar product that was less costly. I am still trying to source a better syrup. I hope this justifies the reasons for our slight changes.

dublin
“What a little gem of a place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

This is our favorite sunday morning place for a bite , great food, delicous deserts and great buzz in the place,if ever in dunleary drop in won't be dissappointed.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
poppiescafe, Owner at Poppies Cafe, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear Paddy,
Thanks for the lovely review, it really means a lot when people take the time and effort to give compliments!!
Glad you enjoyed your visit and just wait till you see the new home baked deserts we will be offering in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks again

Peter
“Great place to have a coffee and relax”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

This is the best café in Dublin!Great place to have a coffee and relax..warm and welcoming atmosphere..if i'll never go back to Dublin one day,I will stop by again for sure!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
poppiescafe, Owner at Poppies Cafe, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Dear Melagri,
Sorry it has taken me so long to respond to your review.
I just want to say thanks for taking the time to write us up in such a positive way, it is really appreciated.
I will pass on your comments to the relevant people