“It's not the Waldorf, but I didn't go to Dublin to look at the paint” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Avondale House

You added Avondale House to your Saves list
Avondale House
2.5 of 5 Guest house   |   40-41 Lower Gardiner Street, Dublin 1, Ireland   |
Ranked #135 of 162 Dublin B&B and Inns
Fayetteville, Georgia
“It's not the Waldorf, but I didn't go to Dublin to look at the paint”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Lets start with we booked 2rooms for 3 people each. The room is like a dorm room with a bathroom and shower and tv. I have stayed all over the world in 5star to this. The hotel was great for our family of 6. The breakfast was fabulous and the staff overly accommodating. The complaint about the water we had too for 1 day, then they tried to fix it but didn't have the problem so we showed them what we were describing and viola we came back and the shower was perfect! the room is warm and no air so bring a fan or you wont get a lot of sleep in room 107 with the window open. the location is excellent, the room was cleaned spotless with clean towels and linens every day. If you are wanting pampered and room service don't stay here. If you are wanting clean, good service, inexpensive, great location then this is the place for you!

Room Tip: no lift so plan for that also...room 110 the shower is in the room so if you are shy then don't...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Leicester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Liked: Friendly enough staff, 24 hr reception, good breakfast included, fresh towels every day, tv working, clean linen, communal toilets were clean and more modern, 1 min walk from bus stop to airport, 10 min walk from temple bar

Overall: this was my second stay here, and was the cheapest option both times because we left the booking so late- but it was NOT cheap and I would say poor value for money. They simply need to do the place up. There was a hole in our sink literally (rm 127) the shower was a bit pathetic but we were on 2nd floor so I'm not surprised there was no power. The carpets were old, and actually not clean, you couldn't walk in the room with bare feet. The room was damp, with the ceiling looking as though it might fall down and the absolute worst thing? Bed mattress felt about 30 years old, all springs at different levels and very uncomfortable.

Its a shame because the food is great, linen was soft and lovely, and the location and 24 hr reception is brill...If they replaced a few (broken) fittings, the carpets in the rooms, gave the place a lick of paint and MOST IMPORTANTLY replaced broken, old mattresses, I would love this place.
If it charged a third to a half of it's price I would think it was fair as it is.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We stayed here one night only (thank god!). First thing I must say is that this is NOT a B&B, it's a cheap motel. All the staff were nice, every single person working there was Polish which was fine for us but it might not be what you expect visiting Ireland. The place was basially falling apart. There was some sort of building going on, there was dust and dirt all over the place. Our room had not been vaccumed, the carpet was filthy. Room was very basic, just a bed in it. There was only one light source, from the ceiling that was missing a lightbulb, so we had no light until someone came to fix this. This place is in dire need of some loving owners and some maintainance. In the meantime, stay away!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I stayed in the Avondale House for the Heineken Cup Final 2013, I knew it was a budget bed and breakfast and I knew the rates had went up to meet with the demand from 70,000 rugby fans, all I wanted was a city centre location close to Aviva Stadium, bed, shower and breakfast. I really enjoyed the Heineken Cup Final, I enjoyed my stay in Dublin, I enjoyed my free pint in Ned Keenan’s Bar in Gardiner Street. The Avondale House is simple, basic, city centre accommodation, if you want more than that then pay for it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Cost us more to stay here than the price of the room. It just got worse and worse and then were robbed. The room was scrape the bottom of the barrel basic (bed and clothes rail) and of course the advertised tv in the room, which would nearly fall of the wall with a sneeze, we feared for risk of a head injury on pressing the buttons to change the tv as the remote did not work. There was not even a rail in the ensuite to keep the toilet roll and towel of the small dirty floor. After a 4 hour flight and traveling time a shower was called for. To start the hot water was a trickle which disappeared followed by the cold water disappearring. As it was after midnight we reported it in the morning, the repair man 'fixed' it, it still only tricked and did not provide hot water, but smelly cold water only. We reported it again at 3pm and again on checking out the following morning to be told it was 'fixed'. On checking out our bags were left safely under the eyes of reception for over an hour. On return a bag was STOLEN, including; toiletries, chargers, house keys and pens. Overall we paid financially for a room with ensuite, the nearby swimming pool to use shower facilities, the locksmith to get into the house and to buy new locks, various retailers to replace stolen items and morally by the disrespect of the accommodation employees. A free breakfast and central location is not adequate for the total price of our stay. You will be making a saving on free pints for return stays as not many guests would return to the shanty town lodging you falsely advertise as 'a professional guesthouse'.

• Stayed May 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

Well where do I start? The room we were assigned room 132 was basic to say the least, only a bed and a tiny tv with a broken controller no bedside light or table or anything infact. The shower wasn't working we had no hot water for two days to have a shower, when we did try to run the shower the smell wasn't far from sewage. We also left our bags at reception for no longer than 90 min and arrived back to a bag missing, received a phone call a hour later to tell me my bag turned up but when I arrived back their was a number of items missing from the bag. It was a awful experience and wouldn't wish it upon anyone truly horrible. Avoid at all cost please

• Stayed May 2013
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Literally the worst hostel experience of my life. Water stains on the ceiling and carpet, small showers, gross bathrooms and overall dirty rooms. Do not lift up the sheets to look at the mattress...disgusting.

During my stay there was a flood in the bathroom above me and toilet water was dripping onto my pillow. After sleeping at Starbucks and yelling at reception for 30 mins I was able to get a refund for that night.

NEVER AGAIN.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Avondale House? Share your experiences!