“Great food...very romantic setting!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #489 of 1,829 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
“Great food...very romantic setting!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

What a lovely spot! Dined here with my husband recently! Very warm welcome.The atmosphere is full of romance and the decor lends itself to it! Starter of pate was totally fab..main course salmon beautiful but I would dock a mark for deserts, asked for a desert menu & was shown a plate of cakes instead, I selected hot apple pie but to see it popped in the micro kind of ruined the moment for me...otherwise a great venue but please sort out the deserts!!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

75% Recommend
Dublin, Ireland
“never going back to Boulevard Cafe”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We dropped into the cafe on a Sunday evening, it was nicely decorated with a good priced menu My husband ordered a beer (no choice only one kind) I ordered sparkling water, the menu had a limited choice; we decided on the chicken & the carbonara and a bottle of house white(plonk) the food arrived very quickly (too soon really to be anyway fresh) and the taste confirmed it; it was very bad, stodgy potatoes roasted stuffed breast of chicken it was supposed to be stuffed with cheese and peppers it was a sticky messy and tasted as it looked, the pasta was bland no real flavour both dishes were hard to eat and the wine was so harsh it made my stomach burn instantly; in fact we just asked for the bill and left we both felt extremely unwell and very disappointed. the bill was about €67 what a total disgrace for very bad food and Wine. We will never be back

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Fintan O, Owner at Boulevard Cafe, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Really disappointed that you did not enjoy your experience at Boulevard Cafe and the scathing like comments in your review. We pride ourselves on good food, service & hospitality. I am assuming you were in for the Early Bird, these type of menus by nature are limited but we get huge compliments generally speaking on the value & variety available, there are 5 starters, 7 main courses plus any pasta pizza from main menu. I assure you everything as far as possible if cooked from fresh, potatoes like in all restaurants have to be pre/par cooked. As for the wine it is a pity that you did not send it back if it burnt your stomach instantly. I can assure you we sell 6/8 cases of this wine weekly and if it was "Plonk" it would not be on offer. Maybe it was corked if it tasted that bad ?.
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
“Lovely Cafe with great food and staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I've been to Café Boulevard loads of times for lunch and it is delish! The food is always great, and the service is amazing! Really friendly, helpful staff who generally remember you if you come in quite often!

Visited May 2013
“Worst restaurant EVER!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Where do I begin? I've eaten in this restaurant quite a bit over the years for both lunch and dinner - then I stopped for several years (now I know why). I've gone for two evening meals recently. The first meal was decent enough - the food is good but the waiting staff are clearly under pressure to move customers on and they seem to lose interest once you pay the bill. They just can't wait to get you out of there. For the two times I've been there, the place was packed and every now and then the music would stop, only to be replaced by an eye wateringly-loud rendition of 'congratulations' as the waiters brought out birthday cake or engagement cake or whatever - seriously, the decibel level would crack plate glass. After the second visit, I'd never go back. The service was as usual, swift and hurried. The tables for two were tiny and the seating in the restaurant was packed - everyone was far too close to the next table. The main course was decent enough - I wouldn't rave about it but it was okay. The dessert and coffee was where everything started to go horribly pear shaped. I ordered ice-cream only to be told by the floor manager that their fridge had stopped working and the ice-cream had partially melted - he assured me that the ice-cream was still nice even though it was a bit runny. How runny you ask? Enough to make a health and safety inspector cry is the answer. I foolishly ordered it based on the floor manager's insistence that it was good to eat but in hindsight, it probably wasn't the smartest thing I've done. I left most of it uneaten - I was still charged for it though - I didn't argue as I feel blessed to have escaped with my life. The twitching stopped finally the other day. The final nail in the coffin was the attitude of the waiter serving the coffees. I ordered a coffee as did my friend. The waiter was keen (very keen) to move us on and so arrived back to clear the table when I still had half a cup of coffee remaining. When the waiter tried to take the cup, I stopped him and said I hadn't finished but as he walked away, he decided to roll his eyes up to heaven. Between tiny tables that were far too close together, ice cream that you needed to lasso, music played loud enough to make your ears bleed, and an incredibly rude waiter, I won't ever go back to this place again.

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Dublin, Ireland
“Great meals, great service every time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

This restaurant cannot be faulted. It comes up trumps in all respects, the food is marvelous. Their ingredients are fresh and local, they may not use the most expensive cuts of meat in their dishes but their emphasis is on quality of food and flavor. While the majority of the menu changes with the season, their signature dishes are always a welcome stable on the menu. The staff are very professional and do their job superbly. They will always try and accommodate your needs when it comes to booking a table or choosing a table of your choice. The toilets are always clean and the bill is very reasonably priced. The early bird is especially good value, particularly satisfying at just under €20 for two courses.

I have eaten here with friends, brought my family and have had work-oriented meals. It strikes a lovely balance between the casual atmosphere and the excellent service to make it a restaurant truly suitable for any occasion.

• Visited May 2013