“If it wasn't for the service” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #85 of 1,891 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: Indian, Pakistani
Good for: Romance, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Kinara overlooks Bull Island with beautiful views of Dublin bay.Kinara was opened by Sean Collender and Shoaib Yunus in 2001, Kinara's aim is to provide a friendly and relaxed atmosphere where you can enjoy a consistently good standard of food and service.Open 7 nights a week for dinner and Thursday to Sunday for lunch
Dublin, Ireland
“If it wasn't for the service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

The first time I visited Kinara I left the place with a feeling of satisfaction and looking forward to another opportunity to go back.

It had been months until Wednesday 24 April, when my girlfriend and I decided to have dinner there. We don't usually eat a lot so we ordered what we knew we would eat, but apparently our waitress wasn't happy about that. Not only she was a bit rude at that moment but also she decided to ignore us for the rest of the evening. She didn't bring one of the dishes ordered and we had to order it again to a different waitress. In addition to that, once we'd finished we weren't offered the desserts menu.

To my view, none of the reasons I can think of justify her behaviour, she despised two clients on the basis of the amount of food they were going to eat that evening – that is, the amount of money they were going to spend. Does Kinara instruct their waiting staff to do so?

The food is nice, yes, but, does it compensate for such poor service? Not at all.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Dublin, Ireland
“Expensive food for posh clients only”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Hi, I live in Clontarf, Dublin, close to this restaurant. I love Indian food and that is why I decided to go there to have dinner last Wednesday. We were not very hungry so we only ordered a starter and a main to share - there were two of us.
The waitress was extremely impolite about that, it seems it was not enough for two but for us was ok because were are not very hungry.
After that, they forgot the bread and also they didn't offer us the desserts because they clearly wanted us to go because we hadn't spent much money.
The food is average and the service was awful. The seaside views are very nice but that's not because of them.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Sean C, Owner at Kinara, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Hello,
I'am very sorry to hear about your recent visit to Kinara, we do our best at all times to look after everyone who walks through our door. On this occasion we obviously did not provide the level of service and food standard that we have for the most part delivered for the last 12 years, and I apologise for that. Kinara has no issue with people sharing food, Pakistani food is meant to be shared and we encourage customers to try a bit of everything. I can assure you that Kinara wants no customers to leave the restaurant, again if this was the impression given I apologise for that.
The words "average and awful" are not words the staff at Kinara like to hear so, I do hope you will give Kinara one more chance, given that you living in Clontarf.
Regards
Sean
Dublin
“Bar has been raised even further”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

It has been some time since we visited, Kinara, having moved from the 'tarf to Dublin's Riviera a few years ago. None the less, in the last 8 years or so, Kinara has never disappointed. Upon our return we found that the restaurant has since been extended and renovated - very salubrious downstairs.
Service was impeccable, food was devine - monkfish starter and Mirch Masala Gosht for me - both perfectly cooked. Squid and tandoori monkfish for the boss. Nan and rice complemented nicely.
Having dined in other (lesser) Indian restaurants, Kinara strikes me as being authentic and of extremely high quality. Wine list was good - when may we return?

Sean C, Owner at Kinara, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Many thanks for your very kind comments, yes Kinara has had a full make-over the last 12 months and we hope that we can now offer an improved level of service, atmosphere and food to all our guests.
Once again thanks from all the staff at Kinara..... see you soon !
Dublin
“Quality food. Top Notch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

If you want really good Indian/Pakistan food. Come here. Place itself is really nice ont he seafront. Staff are very friendly and professional. Food is excellent, extremely tasty.
Prices are heavy enough but well worth it. If you like this type of cuisine try this place and I dont think you will be disapointed.
Its a place for any occasion really, could be romantic dinner for two, special anniversary dinner, group of people, work lunch etc. It suits for all. Really good food, left very happy.
The only bad news is the price if you dont get the early bird, which doesnt contain a lot on it, three options only for starter and for main. So we got two mains, one beer, rice and one naan bread. We both got 2 scoops of ice cream for dessert. 70 euro. Pretty steep compared to a lot of places.

“Top notch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Great menu, service, views of the sea. Book a table in advance. Seafood platter to share as starter is amazing (for seafood lovers) - Lobster tail, crab claws, tiger prawns, monkfish in delicate spices and cooked in Tandoor (I think!) Have the espresso cocktail for desert.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere